Bailey Mountain Bike Park- Mtbr.com
    Super Moderator SuperModerator

Bailey Mountain Bike Park

Anyone else excited about this?

Press Release

For info about the park, see links below.

https://www.facebook.com/BaileyMTBPark/

Last edited by AVL-MTB; 05-05-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Yes please

mtbr member
    Awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Ha View Post
    Awesome!!
    Can't wait. Now I need to buy a downhill bike.

mtbr member
    Year round downhill... I'm just about weeping with joy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yep. Definitely gonna check it out this summer. Really stoked on the year round.

Big Mac
    Below the "snow line"?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Am I the only one who's a bit concerned about whether they're going to be able to make ends meet?

MTB parks have been "tried" at nearby locations and failed miserably. Laughably. For decades. Granted, the situation was a bit different and very poorly managed, but they already had uphill transportation infrastructure in place and a pre-existing real estate development to subsidize the whole thing. Still didn't work out.

Disregarding real estate for a minute, I can only think of a couple of business analogs off the top of my head right now: ski resorts and these zipline places.

Local ski resorts struggle even with tens of thousands of customers; I can only imagine how hard it would be to build something like a lift and other infrastructure using cash flow from what's likely to be a much smaller circle on the venn diagram of outdoor recreation enjoying people encompassing "downhill mountain bikers". Or to make anywhere near enough schlepping people up the hill in vans. The ROI for such an investment might be ... well, I'm not an investor, but dang.

These zipline places seem to be doing well and are popping up all over the place. Infrastructure is minimal, though - a trail is a lot more construction/maintenance than a wire rope strung between trees. I was also hoping to see something similar added on over at the Navitat location...they've got the terrain and it seems consistent with the overall plan for the land use. Bike trails were even mentioned in a survey I filled out for them once about what we'd like to see next, and I said "yes". Sounds like they're sticking to zips and other wire-bound things, though.

I suppose that's why "real estate" is mentioned and I suspect the mtb part will be an add-on/side venture or lifestyle upsell for what's ultimately going to be yet another mountaintop development. But even those have been struggling to sell enough lots to stay afloat for some time now...

Nevertheless, I wish Bailey Mtn. well and it's exciting to think about the possibilities. Maybe they've just got tons of cash and want to spend it on something cool, or already owned the land outright, or something. I'm hoping. We definitely need more of this kind of venue available in the region - our public lands' trails just can't reasonably support this kind of riding in a sustainable fashion, so pay-to-play may be the right way to go.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Highlands is a good example of what thEy should be shooting for. It's bike only and only shuts down for a couple months out of the year. I personally think it will work if they use that approach and other Eco events. They need fun quality trails and starting with a jump line trail is a good start. As much I love riding the rough techy stuff, my hands, mind and body needs some relaxing flow. I'm 11 hours from there but will make my 3-5 trips a year north linking resorts. Been doing this for years, not including multiple trips to my parents place in north Ga. during the off DH season to trail ride. I very excited about this place. More time I'll get to spend in WNC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Set up a sponsorship/partnership/buy-in with Mulally and then we'll see some shit happen.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Nc does not have a legit jump line... This will
    Make a huge difference in itself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    Nc does not have a legit jump line... This will
    Make a huge difference in itself
    My thoughts exactly. That's going to be a very important feature of the park and hopefully it gets built asap.

I think Bailey will succeed. They seem very optimistic about it and probably have the finances. They're also getting a lot of attention over the internet.

I'm optimistic about it too. Prices will be $35 per day. The multi-day passes are supposed to come out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bailey needs volunteers to help on trails. Will give out free passes.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I think it will succeed. Other venues in the Charlotte area and further west are fueling the popularity of MTBing here. If the owners are smart they will also include good XC trails for older riders like myself and those of us who don't do more downhill type riding. I can only assume they will. Also it would be nice to have spectating spots built along the jump lines. I also hope they include other adventure sports, ziplines, etc, just to keep the revenue flowing.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

The opening is tomorrow!

ready to ride

Good job! Bailey's Mountain First Weekend

I rode there yesterday, they only have a few trails open but they are legit! DH bike territory for sure. My Ibis HD3 was ok but 8 inches would be better. Full face helmet and pads are a must especially given how steep the trails are and the speed you can attain. I ran strava for 2 runs out of curiosity and hit 39.4 which I am pretty sure was a gravel road connector. Looks like 20-30 are the high speeds on the trail.

There are basically five trails open. Skywalker and Welcome to the Jungle at the top. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde two different trails in the middle. Then something Slalom and the bottom. Welcome to the jungle is a black. A black as in black hole. Only rode it once, I was afraid I would break myself or worse my bike. Experienced serious brake fade. Really need bigger rotors and DH brakes for this trail. Super steep, rocky, techy and just plain ridiculous. It takes you all the way down to re Slalom trail.

Skywalker is tame in comparison. It's not a huge run. Lots of really steep berms. A couple of jumps which will send you, and about a 4 to 5 foot drop into a nice transitioned landing. Another couple of launches before you come to the road which you cross and then hit either Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are both blue. As the names suggest the Dr. Is more tame than Hyde. In fact I would really consider Hyde as a mortal persons black. Both super fun but did must of my runs down Hyde trying to figure out all the jump lines. Serious berms and some big league jumps. Some have a couple of options. I just couldn't carry enough speed to hit most of the most difficult lines. Not gap jumps per se but casing them would be good. The trail is pretty much awesome. There is one series of jumps the first on you have to hit at speed and the second one you need to brake for. I didn't brake for it on my second run and I got sent majorly. Probably 20 + feet and over shot the transition by a mile and landed square and hard. Thank god for shin guards as a foot slipped, otherwise it would have been nasty and probably a day ender. There a couple of step ups too. The first one is damn impossible to clear. I could just get over it but landed square and lost momentum. There is a nice series at the bottom. You come out of a berm then you can take the shark fin jump on the right. Basically a mild gap which is easyish to clear then another nice jump into transition where you can really carry some speed which leads into a big uphill into a step up. Then a gravel ride down to slalom. Lots of elevation and distance wasted there but they are beginning to cut a connector trail tomorrow. Supposed to be some where between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in terms of difficulty. This will really tie two areas together.

The owners are great, really interested in the riders feedback and want to build to suit the riders' desires. They have big plans, somewhere around 25 trails all done and said. They have 140 acres on some great terrain to work with. The folks doing the trail building are doing a great job. Totally stoked to have this 30 minutes from Asheville. Looks like I need to start saving for a DH bike.

Icon Media was out taking pictures which should be out later today or tomorrow. Here are a couple of videos from other riders.

https://youtu.be/2aJdV3giQWM
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the review and the video. Can't wait to get up there later in the summer and fall. Love that it gonna be year round.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Went today.
    This place is legit for sure.
    Excited to see what they add

Went today.
    This place is legit for sure.
    Excited to see what they add
    Any beginner downhill trails open yet?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    No and Personally I hope to never see them open any ....plenty of green trails in the forest already and black of course

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Does the shuttle run on a schedule or just whenever there's enough guys waiting? I'm trying to figure out roughly how long you have to wait at the bottom before the next trip up.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I rode there Saturday with my wife and son. To give you an idea of the shuttle runs (it's a military LMTV), everyone is dropped at the top and depending on how fast you are, you can literally hit the bottom and get right back on. We were never fast enough though. My son is 7 and this was his first DH trip. We stopped a few times each trip down d/t hand cramps and forearm pump.

As far as green lines, the owner said they are coming. The blue lines are pretty steep but he was able to manage (we only rode Dr Jekyll). On Jekyll you can roll the jumps and go around the gaps which there are 2 of.

I rode my Fuel 7, my son was on a Lil'Shredder Prodigy and my wife, a C'dale Tango 29" HT!

My son had a blast and we are planning another trip. We drove 4 hours and stayed overnight in Mars Hill.
    Last edited by kheaton; 07-19-2015 at 08:31 PM. Reason: I spell like a 1st grader

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Videos I have seen are pretty buff bike park trails...are there any blacks in the rocks? Any vids out there aside from the one linked here and on their Facebook page? Show me the rux!

Have some plans to get up there in September, super excited!!!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    The black they currently have is very similar to windrock if you like riding there (who doesn't) lots off off camber and rocky sections. They apparently built a double black and said it was unreideable and are having to work on it now.... I'd like to test that theory though

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The black they currently have is very similar to windrock if you like riding there (who doesn't) lots off off camber and rocky sections. They apparently built a double black and said it was unreideable and are having to work on it now.... I'd like to test that theory though
    Awesome, that is exactly what I had hoped to hear. I had also heard some chatter about the pro line being steeper than bikes and physics support. Windrock is awesome and I swoon over some rocks, tell you what.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This would be awesome with comparisons to regional trails, in terms of what you would consider to be a "mortal persons black" and other such descriptors, since we know nothing about your riding abilities.
    Have you ridden at Snowshoe or Beech Mtn? How bout Avery Creek, Farlow, Kitsuma, Upper Black Mtn?
    Thanks for the anecdotes!
    jm2e

Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I rode there yesterday, they only have a few trails open but they are legit! DH bike territory for sure. My Ibis HD3 was ok but 8 inches would be better. Full face helmet and pads are a must especially given how steep the trails are and the speed you can attain. I ran strava for 2 runs out of curiosity and hit 39.4 which I am pretty sure was a gravel road connector. Looks like 20-30 are the high speeds on the trail.

There are basically five trails open. Skywalker and Welcome to the Jungle at the top. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde two different trails in the middle. Then something Slalom and the bottom. Welcome to the jungle is a black. A black as in black hole. Only rode it once, I was afraid I would break myself or worse my bike. Experienced serious brake fade. Really need bigger rotors and DH brakes for this trail. Super steep, rocky, techy and just plain ridiculous. It takes you all the way down to re Slalom trail.

Skywalker is tame in comparison. It's not a huge run. Lots of really steep berms. A couple of jumps which will send you, and about a 4 to 5 foot drop into a nice transitioned landing. Another couple of launches before you come to the road which you cross and then hit either Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are both blue. As the names suggest the Dr. Is more tame than Hyde. In fact I would really consider Hyde as a mortal persons black. Both super fun but did must of my runs down Hyde trying to figure out all the jump lines. Serious berms and some big league jumps. Some have a couple of options. I just couldn't carry enough speed to hit most of the most difficult lines. Not gap jumps per se but casing them would be good. The trail is pretty much awesome. There is one series of jumps the first on you have to hit at speed and the second one you need to brake for. I didn't brake for it on my second run and I got sent majorly. Probably 20 + feet and over shot the transition by a mile and landed square and hard. Thank god for shin guards as a foot slipped, otherwise it would have been nasty and probably a day ender. There a couple of step ups too. The first one is damn impossible to clear. I could just get over it but landed square and lost momentum. There is a nice series at the bottom. You come out of a berm then you can take the shark fin jump on the right. Basically a mild gap which is easyish to clear then another nice jump into transition where you can really carry some speed which leads into a big uphill into a step up. Then a gravel ride down to slalom. Lots of elevation and distance wasted there but they are beginning to cut a connector trail tomorrow. Supposed to be some where between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in terms of difficulty. This will really tie two areas together.

The owners are great, really interested in the riders feedback and want to build to suit the riders' desires. They have big plans, somewhere around 25 trails all done and said. They have 140 acres on some great terrain to work with. The folks doing the trail building are doing a great job. Totally stoked to have this 30 minutes from Asheville. Looks like I need to start saving for a DH bike.

Icon Media was out taking pictures which should be out later today or tomorrow. Here are a couple of videos from other riders.

https://youtu.be/2aJdV3giQWM
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    The blues are More like snowshoe but with good jumps. The black is more like windrock like I said previously.... much steeper then pisgahs normal trails. This is legit dh with no pedaling. Nothing open so far is as Rocky as the Farlow rock garden .... Yet.
    Basically more windrock than Rocky knob.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The blues are More like snowshoe but with good jumps. The black is more like windrock like I said previously.... much steeper then pisgahs normal trails. This is legit dh with no pedaling. Nothing open so far is as Rocky as the Farlow rock garden .... Yet.
    Basically more windrock than Rocky knob.
    Dude I cannot wait. Rode Windrock once in like 2008 and loved it. We're moving from central NC to Hendersonville in a month and then it is on!! The downhill bike is getting excited, it's panting and wagging it's tail at the garage door

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    More rocks. And roots. More technical trails like the rocky stuff at Snowshoe. The steepness shows a ton of potential, but steep doesn't mean technical. It just means steep and loose right now. Imagine if you took the rock garden sections of Beech and laid them out on the Bailey hillside. That's what a DH bike is begging for.
    Remember, it doesn't have to be: Blues = Flow & Blacks = Steep and sketchy. Or Blues = bowling alley smooth & Blacks = Big Ass tricky jumps. Look at what Snowshoe does with a huge variety of intermediate technical trails that you can gradually tick off until you make it to Lower Hareball. And with loads of small to medium sized tables and drops you can do before you start throwing massive whips and road gaps.
    Technical terrain would also help with the shuttle congestion.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Last edited by DHFREERIDER; 10-04-2015 at 10:16 PM.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by DHFREERIDER View Post
    Please advocate for more advanced and pro downhill/freeride trails, for more cliffs and gaps and jumps, than green trails.
    Absolutely! Would love to see some more black free ride and tech trails. As well as some more blue freeride jump lines. Greens? Well I guess if you are trying to attract new riders but in all honesty just provide ride arounds on the blues.

I just got back from my first trip to whistler and I would say Bailey's current blues are pretty in line with how whistler rates their blue freeride trails. Bailey's is just shorter and maybe not quite as refined. Like I said I would love to see some more blacks and double blacks for both tech and freeride, along the lines of No Joke, Freight Line, A Line and Dirt Merchant. Not sure how I would rank Bailey's Jujumanji, its kind of like Sybil. Somewhere between tech/freeride and black/doluble black a the while being a *****. I need to ride it again but from memory a lot of the difficulty level was from shear steepness and not so much from features. If anything they do awesome out west is features and using what is there for them instead of plowing over them. If the weather hold I might have to do a few runs this weekend.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Man, I couldn't be more stoked about this place. I'm moving to A'ville in the spring, and I've honestly never done any real downhill stuff. I can't wait to start. I knew there was some great riding in WNC, which is one big reason why my wife and I are moving there, but this adds an entirely different element. I agree with a couple of posters here so far: it makes more sense to build trails here that are truly advanced and world class, considering how much variety there is already in Pisgah in terms of rocky downhill sections of trail that can cater to folks looking for a green run. I have no idea what I'm doing on a DH bike, and I'll probably be rolling some jumps to start with, but I already have a smile on my face just typing this.

We're coming out in the middle of October for another visit. I may have to send the wife to the spa while I take a crack at this place (she rides, but I've learned not to press my luck).
    "Plato is my friend, Aristotle is my friend, but my best friend is truth." - Newton

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Please don't roll jumps

mtbr member
    I told you I'm a newb at this -- I can definitely see how that wouldn't be good for the terrain.
    "Plato is my friend, Aristotle is my friend, but my best friend is truth." - Newton

mtbr member
    Hopefully the powers will see the full potential of this. I'm an avid trail rider but would have no trouble admitting I SUCK at park style riding. Hopefully there will be a culture of education and openness concerning this type of riding @ Bailey, I'm not too proud to admit I would like a very beginner style clinic. Obviously since it's so close I want to participate but admit to being pretty intimidated by the big jump lines. I'm comfortable in almost all of Pisgah, but that's apples and oranges IMO.

Also, can't you roll jumps with out scraping your brakes across them?

I also understand the want to have double blacks (that are rideable) but I hope there's some progression to the place as well!
    My one says BRAP!

Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Hopefully the powers will see the full potential of this. I'm an avid trail rider but would have no trouble admitting I SUCK at park style riding. Hopefully there will be a culture of education and openness concerning this type of riding @ Bailey, I'm not too proud to admit I would like a very beginner style clinic. Obviously since it's so close I want to participate but admit to being pretty intimidated by the big jump lines. I'm comfortable in almost all of Pisgah, but that's apples and oranges IMO.

Also, can't you roll jumps with out scraping your brakes across them?

I also understand the want to have double blacks (that are rideable) but I hope there's some progression to the place as well!
    Agreed. A beginner downhill trail would be great. Downhill riders got to learn somewhere. Can't just take a huge jump and hope you land in the same position.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Rolling jumps ruins the lips.... Ride around them or sack up and hit them. Rolling them does you no good whatsoever except confusing you next time you actually try to hit them.... I personally don't see bike park riding as much different than trail riding minus the steepness

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I somehow managed to ride dh for 7 or so years now without ever deliberately riding a green trail. And I'm a pretty big hack

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    /\ /\ /\ Clearly hasn't been on Skyline at Snowshoe.

(and to be clear, I'd much rather everything at Bailey be more in line with Lower Hare Ball and Lincoln Log than some flowy bemy jump trail for BMX riders on big bikes)
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Haahhahaha
    I said deliberately ... #skylinefakeblue

Although that trail should be a black because overshooting every jump to a death hole on the side of the trail is dangerous

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The point is, it doesn't matter what rating you give Skyline. It's probably become the most popular trail in the Southeast. For a reason. You can roll the whole thing on a skateboard. Or you can pick up a little speed and get credit card air. Or you can try to clear all the tables, knowing that if you come up short or get a little crooked in the air you still stand a chance of riding out of it. OR, you can "sack up" and go big.

And the other point is, that technical trails are more fun. And by technical trails, I mean big rocks and big roots everywhere that you can't ride around. Not, "oh, that's a very technically difficult jump line because to do it you really need to "sack up" and just go for it"

Last point: posturing on the internet is silly.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    All my friends think skyline is lame... Not sure where you are getting most popular trail. Everyone knows that is Poston park

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    All my friends think skyline is lame... Not sure where you are getting most popular trail. Everyone knows that is Poston park
    Half my friends think it's the best thing since canned beer. Similar friends want to ride Ridgeline at Dupont/avoid Pisgah proper when we drive 4hrs from Raleigh.

Maybe I'm riding with the wrong friends!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    The point is, it doesn't matter what rating you give Skyline. It's probably become the most popular trail in the Southeast. For a reason. You can roll the whole thing on a skateboard.
    You obviously haven't ridden it recently... was there a two weekends ago... it's rough as hell now. Only rode it once as I got all the beating of a trail like lower hare ball without the thrills. Not many people were riding it all.

Some Assembly Required
    We were in Snowshoe a month agao & skyline was packed, almost a train ride. Good for all levels of riders, especially for those mere mortals wanting to progress w/o dying. Ha.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand View Post
    ... Good for beginner to intermediate riders, especially for those mere mortals wanting to progress w/o dying. Ha.
    Fixed that for ya. Skyline is a great trail, don't get me wrong. But man the southeast needs a decent big jump line a'la A-Line for people to really send it.

You're going to take this as a cocky comment, but it's not. I am an intermediate rider that is pretty confident on jumps. Comment is......I hate going to bike parks and being able to hit everything there. Like yes, there are certain lines through the Pro Beech rock gardens I can't take. There are some sniper gaps in there I can't hit. I get down Lower Hareball 1/4 of the time totally clean. But...give me a jump line that scares me. Please!!!! Most want. I beg for big jumps that make me think and focus. Beg!!

Back to topic at hand, I have 8/30 scheduled with a buddy to check out Bailey, cannot wait!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hey folks,

A group of us will be looking to check out Bailey Mountain in a couple of weeks. Most are decent technical trail riders but only two of us have spent some time at Beech Mountain. We don't own DH bikes, we'd rent.

If most of Bailey's trails are for skilled DH riders only, it may be waste to devote a full day here. Would you suggest just half a day at Bailey with rentals and a full day or two at Beech? Just trying to figure out how to maximize our enjoyment with some DH riding over a weekend.

Does anyone have any experience with renting at Bailey or an LBS?

Bailey doesn't rent yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    From what i heard recently, Bailey is trying to put together a package with Billy Goat Bikes (asheville) for rental packages. Check them out... They probably could hook you up with a daily rental.

mtbr member
    looking forward to trying Bailey. place me in the camp that wants a mix of trails from easy to hard. i've never talked to anyone that doesnt find the green trail at Beech very fun. its nice to have some mellow-ish DH terrain sometimes. like first time on DH bike in a while, coming back from injury or just want a breather lap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bailey needs more jumps and bigger jumps. Right now it is mainly rollers and berms. The jumps they have are fun, but you can only properly hit the second one in a row after the tight and steep berms.
    There are dudes hitting them all. I can't, because of the reasons you mentioned (e.g. tight berms). There are some big jumps though if you can carry the corner speed! I love the options they have. Big jump side, more moderate jump middle of the line.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    There are dudes hitting them all. I can't, because of the reasons you mentioned (e.g. tight berms). There are some big jumps though if you can carry the corner speed! I love the options they have. Big jump side, more moderate jump middle of the line.
    I rode Bailey this weekend and rented a carbon V10 since I didnt want to break my Blur TR in half. Rental + Full face helmet was $145 for the day. They have 2 new trails, blue downhill and banshee DH. Blue is gnarly and mostly man made gnar and its got some jumps as well, the dirt was amazing on that trail it was the first weekend that was open. Banshee is wide open and it has plenty of bigger jumps if you want, plus Jekyll and Hyde have plenty of jumps as well.
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa:cool: - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er :nono: - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Looking forward to riding the two new jumplines. The double black Old Gregg is so gnarly with those huge drops.

Anyone done the race?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
    I rode Bailey this weekend and rented a carbon V10 since I didnt want to break my Blur TR in half. Rental + Full face helmet was $145 for the day.
    Did you rent these at Bailey or through a local shop?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can't speak for the renter, but Bailey does rent Carbon V10s if that is what either of yall are asking. https://shop.baileymountainwnc.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A lot of racing coming up at Bailey. Cannot wait!

Rolling Thunder DH Race Series:
    05/28-29/16 - Race 1 - Bailey Mtn Rolling Thunder Downhill Racing Series
    06/11-12/16 - Race 2 - Bailey Mtn Rolling Thunder Downhill Racing Series
    07/09-10/16 - Race 3 - Bailey Mtn Rolling Thunder Downhill Racing Series
    07/30-31/16 - Race 4 - Bailey Mtn Rolling Thunder Downhill Racing Series
    08/27-28/16 - Race 5 - Bailey Mtn Rolling Thunder Downhill Racing Series
    09/17-18/16 - Race 6 - Bailey Mtn Rolling Thunder Downhill Racing Series
    10/08-09/16 - Race 7 - Bailey Mtn Rolling Thunder Downhill Racing Series
    11/05-06/16 - Race 8 - Bailey Mtn Rolling Thunder Downhill Racing Series

Dirt Slayer Enduro:
    https://www.3rdcoastproductions.com/...slayer-enduro/

2016 East Coast Racing Schedule by gojammedia - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone ridden Banshee? Any big jumps on it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamint View Post
    Did you rent these at Bailey or through a local shop?
    I rented it directly from Bailey. They had an XL and a M. The M was a little small for me but my ass was off the seat anyways, haha.
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa:cool: - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er :nono: - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Anyone ridden Banshee? Any big jumps on it?
    Banshee is really flowy and fast. The left lines are all large jumps and there are a couple of big step ups as well. Banshee has a nice set of tables as well and some bermage. Its got a little of everything and its hands off the brakes WIDE OPEN!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Can't give enough praise to this place, what a professional operation. The husband & wife couple who run it really do their best to make this place fun and safe. They've got two shuttles running now, they've got several SC V10s for rental and a food truck selling Mexican food through most of the day.

The trails are really well-maintained and well-marked. I enjoyed Welcome To The Jungle-Jumanji, Tunnel Of Love and Blue DH the most, but all the trails are so fun. We did about 15 runs last Saturday, it's the best way to spend $35 for sure!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Until this past weekend I hadn't had a chance to go since last Nov. in the rain and the place has doubled in size. Also the trails they had last time have been a lot more dialed in too. Lots of jumps and super fun step ups. The twin step downs are over the top fun also. They are great people who have a firm grasp on who there target customers are (people that can ride and like DH/Freeride). I can't believe what they have accomplished in their 1st year. My excitement level for this place is through the roof after my visit this past weekend. If you like jumps pass on Snowshoe, this is the place for you. And it's an hour closer to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    And can't wait to see what must be coming, maybe a black banshee (or a snowshoe inspired version of skyline which has bigger jumps than blue banshee, which is more like a high speed hop trail) if they continue to develop, and just imagine how sweet when they get a lift operating. Yeah, Bailey is getting there. They have super gnarly trails with crazy step downs and easy blue flow trails with some fun but small to medium size jumps but need to develop some more advanced flow trails in that sweet spot between. Awesome potent
    ial here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Also rode there recently and was very impressed with the new trails... the place is shaping up nicely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Conditions should be prime this weekend with the early week rain leading to sunshine through the weekend. I think I'll check it out on Saturday while Pisgah is taken over by PMBAR.

Can someone give a description as to what kind of trails to expect at Bailey? Maybe a short review for each trail? I'll be good info for those who are new at Bailey. I'll copy and paste it into the initial post in this thread. If anyone is willing to do it, that'd be great. Credit will be given to the reviewer.

mtbr member
    Hey - just curious if this place is "low-intermediate" friendly and worth trying to get to from va?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cecald View Post
    Hey - just curious if this place is "low-intermediate" friendly and worth trying to get to from va?

My opinion: it's worth getting there from anywhere. I drove there from Baltimore for a weekend and 100% will do so again at least a couple times a year.

low-intermediate... can be hard to say; there's no beginner trail there; nothing like Easy Street at Snowshoe. But the groomed 'park' trails don't have mandatory air features, and they recently added a couple more natural blue trails. The black trails are more steep and loamy than rocky and technical (not to say there aren't rocks, just that's not the dominant feature like it is on a lot of trails at Mountain Creek, for example).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Don't be fooled though, it is a downhill park, and even the blue runs are on steep terrain. It depends what you are familiar with or what you are comfortable pushing your comfort limits on.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the context. I've only ridden one bike park - Bryce in VA - and was comfortable on many of the features there. And I think the design of the trails and features was genius, cause I certainly wouldn't credit my skills. Seemed like most jumps were safe tabletops and steep features could be done safely at various speeds. Sounds worth a trip though!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the context. I've only ridden one bike park - Bryce in VA - and was comfortable on many of the features there. And I think the design of the trails and features was genius, cause I certainly wouldn't credit my skills. Seemed like most jumps were safe tabletops and steep features could be done safely at various speeds. Sounds worth a trip though!

If you thought anything at Bryce was challenging at all you'll be over your head at Bailey.

It's kind of unfortunate that there isn't a standard for rating downhill trails; the runs Bryce calls double diamonds would be blues at Bailey. So it's just about impossible to gauge one park in terms of another unless you talk to someone that's been to both.

Not sure where in VA you are, but if you could make it to seven springs, they have terrain harder than Bryce but generally easier than Bailey.

mtbr member
    Appreciate the context - I think Bryce had a "double" and a road gap that I wasn't comfortable trying since I don't have much experience off the ground.

mtbr member
    Appreciate the context - I think Bryce had a "double" and a road gap that I wasn't comfortable trying since I don't have much experience off the ground.
    I might have made too bold a statement there. The "road" gap and double at Bryce are just test of your nerve; all you really have to do is hit them fast enough and hold on. There's not a lot like that at Bailey (there's one pretty big drop, the only thing I remember like that - I never hit it, there's a obvious line around)

What I meant to say is the steepness and looseness of Pickleback/Copperhead or Car Bomb at Bryce is pretty tame compared to almost all of Bailey