Back in the Saddle!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Back in the Saddle!!

10 weeks after dislocating/fracturing my shoulder at Dupont, I did my first mountain bike ride today. Nothing huge - just 2 1/2 hours at Bent Creek, but it sure felt good to be back on the trail. I'm still not 100% healed, but what the heck - I needed a ride. I was starting to become a roadie. Took it really easy on the downhills, as I viewed every rock and root as a potential trip to the hospital.

So whoever took my place as slowest mountain biker in NC/SC for the past 10 weeks now has to step aside and let me assume my rightful position at the back of the pack.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Official Cooler Inspector
    Come back up for the Mega BC Camp Weekend. I might could sorta maybe KYA, kid.

(Tell Ms. K we finally have cable, but still/never no AC)
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    "So whoever took my place as slowest mountain biker in NC/SC for the past 10 weeks now has to step aside and let me assume my rightful position at the back of the pack."

You are well ahead of me, if you are now back on a bike. My knee injury (and broken tibia) was about 8 weeks ago and I have 2 more months before I can get back on a bike (if I follow the doctors orders).

Enjoy your early rides, any mountain bike ride is a good (except maybe the one when we crash and are injured).

W.

mtbr member
    The doc didn't tell me not to ride. He just said not to crash again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    So whoever took my place as slowest mountain biker in NC/SC for the past 10 weeks now has to step aside and let me assume my rightful position at the back of the pack.
    You gave up this position, now you have to earn it back!

mtbr member
    Man, I think I lost my mojo somewhere in the last 3 months. Went to Dupont Saturday and was getting really chicken on some of the downhills. Stuff I have never had a problem with I was getting off and walking. My riding buds are used to having to wait for me at the top of hills - now they have to wait at the bottom too. I guess what I need is a nice flat trail - but I don't think they make those around here. Maybe I will take up fishing or something.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    you've got to shut off the brain and just ride, the millisecond you start thinking "what if?" it's over...

i have had broken collar bone (2places)... and the first month or two back on the bike i found myself being way too cautious, over thinkin' moves, hitting tough sections too slow, (where if i had hit it at speed i would have easily cleared) ....and was very lucky i didn't get hurt even more.... You just have to "not think about it" and "just do it".... When coming up on obstacles focus beyond that section; instead focusing right at the obstacle or just beyond your front wheel... we tend to steer towards what we're looking at.. after a while it just becomes second nature and you worry less about getting hurt..

glad you're back on the bike!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    you've got to shut off the brain and just ride, the millisecond you start thinking "what if?" it's over...

i have had broken collar bone (2places)... and the first month or two back on the bike i found myself being way too cautious, over thinkin' moves, hitting tough sections too slow, (where if i had hit it at speed i would have easily cleared) ....and was very lucky i didn't get hurt even more.... You just have to "not think about it" and "just do it".... When coming up on obstacles focus beyond that section; instead focusing right at the obstacle or just beyond your front wheel... we tend to steer towards what we're looking at.. after a while it just becomes second nature and you worry less about getting hurt..

Well said and appreciated here too. I'm about to be facing the same dilemma after 6 weeks in a cast now. I know the caution I'll feel back on the trail won't necessarily serve me well and I'll need to do exactly what you're advising. Thanks brado1, you've encouraged me as well.

mtbr member
    Heck, I shut off my brain years ago - except for that little part in the back that keeps telling me "you're gonna crash" over and over.

Team Martin
    Welcome back!!!

mtbr member
    I think I am going to try Squirrel with Maida Saurday. Lots of chances to crash!

pronounced may-duh
    do it do it do it

doooo it

mtbr member
    If you have 20 people on the ride, that should be enough to carry me out of the woods!

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1

I've been out for about 5 weeks with a broken collarbone and hope to be back on in a couple of weeks. I know I'll be overly cautious at first but I also know that if I slow down I wreck more, so maybe now I can just shorten the caution part and look beyond the obstacles. Thanks for summing this up for me too.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    If you have 20 people on the ride, that should be enough to carry me out of the woods!
    pack it in, pack it out.

Its got what plants crave
    Man all the damage in this thread is harshing my mellow.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Official Cooler Inspector
    Wanna see my leg x-ray again?

I suffered more fear from two years without the "confidence builder" of insurance than any of my actual boo-boos. Just this week, my brain waves caught the trail and I rode like it was 1999.

My leg caught up with the brain and said: Are you stupid? You could have crashed on that!!!

Brain said: Take a hike.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Members who have read this thread: 0