Avery- Mtbr.com

Thread: Avery

Raleigh

Avery

I've only done Avery once before ... but that was a couple years back, and on my rigid Stache 5.

I was just in Pisgah a few weeks ago, and although I didn't hit it, I had every intention of doing it... my plan was to do Pilot (from brp) and Avery on one ride, but after I got done Pilot, I was coming up Buckhorn (from Mills), and decided to go left at the top (instead of right).

I never had a chance to bomb Black solo on my squish so I had to do it.

Now, I just noticed the Big Dig (for Buckhorn & Avery) is scheduled for 6/16.

I was thinking I need to get back out there to hit Avery in its current state (before the dig) - which I'm guessing is riding pretty rowdy right now, right?
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't think it's that bad, it's an arm workout but I don't think there are any huge features worth noting. I rode it a few weeks ago, the section of Black leading up to it has a few sections with really bad lines on it that can catch you up, but you can read most of them coming down it. A few loose, rocky sections but nothing terrible, all rollable.

When you turn down Avery, the top section gets a little interesting in the rut, there is one drop that seems to throw people off, but again I don't think it's that bad. You can roll it with some speed. The section that always messes me up is shortly after, it's the first rock garden and I usually end up taking a stupid line and catching the side of a rock wrong.

After that, I don't think there is a lot that's too bad compared to something like Middle Black, Bennett, or even Trace. There are a few really eroded spots, but everything can be rolled and you see most of it coming. If you can ride full Black and Pilot, it shouldn't be a problem.

My guess is that the work is gonna be patching up the eroded spots, based on what they did on Black, and adding some drainage. I doubt you can do much to change the character of Avery that would last long considering how water runs through it.

I'm not sure I'd wanna do it on a rigid, though....

Raleigh
    Thanks, dude...

... my post seems to be misleading - sorry, about that, please excuse the background info leading up to my question. Was just trying to add some extra bits.

Anyways, I'm just trying to get a feel from the locals if I should hit Avery before the dig or not.

I like riding ditched-out, rowdy trails. If peeps thought Avery was riding particularly sweet right now, and seem to lean towards getting out to Avery pre-dig, then I was going to get my butt out there before the dig.

Btw, although I didn't have any issues riding Avery, Black, Bennett, Pilot and others, on my rigid a few years back, I'll be taking the squish for this run.

Thanks, again!
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

since 4/10/2009
    It's been a bit since I last rode Avery, but my recollection isn't that it was in particularly bad shape, definitely compared to some of the other notoriously blown out stuff.

I'm also not sure that I'd make a particular rush to go ride it before the work is done.

mtbr member
    I doubt that whatever they do will drastically change the trail. That would require some major machine work etc.

More than likely they'll cut drainage, clear the corridor and make it more narrow, maybe fix the trenchiest of the trenches.

Either way there is so much rock on that trail that its character will be tough to change.

I rode it a few weeks back and its riding great. There is that one large gap right at the top that is great but otherwise no crazy features or anything to get you in trouble.

Go ride it!
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I must have misunderstood.

If you are worried about the character of the trail changing in June and asking if you should rush to ride it before the dig, I wouldn't worry about it. The work done at the last Big Dig didn't do much to alter the character of Black aside from one small segment and you'd need a bulldozer to change Avery. There may be a few sections tidied up, but I doubt you'll see character altering changes made to it.

IIRC Avery is next on the docket for major trailwork via contractors, though. I think PAS got funding to rework Buckwheat and Avery, so you might find some more considerable alterations when/if that work gets done.

Raleigh
    Thanks, guys!

There's no worries, and no rush... I'm just jonesin...

I've only been out to Pisgah 3-4x, and my trip last month was some of the best riding I've done, and this was my first real ride coming back from major shoulder reconstruction.

To say I was happy as a pig in sh1t pretty much sums it up!
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Avery is so freaking rad. I'm planning to be on the big dig and can't wait. I would support fixing the ditch at the top. But ya the rock sections oh lawd they fun.

I think Avery is one of those trails that if you are a responsible adult, understand how to use brakes, and have a decent bit of gray matter....sure it's not "that bad" and you can ride it. But for us neanderthals who tend to bomb with reckless abandon and wonder "can I clear that" over every potential option....Avery is friggin rowdy. I am getting antsy just sitting here thinking about it. Dang I wanna go ride it now. DANG IT WOODCHIPS. Buddies heading up to WNC right now to go fish/camp/climb for the weekend but now I want to cancel it all and go ride Avery.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

See you guys with shovels 6/16!

Raleigh
    Oh, hell yes, this brought a smile ear to ear... and has me even more pumped - way to push me over the edge. Thank you!
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Avery is so freaking rad. I'm planning to be on the big dig and can't wait. I would support fixing the ditch at the top. But ya the rock sections oh lawd they fun.

I think Avery is one of those trails that if you are a responsible adult, understand how to use brakes, and have a decent bit of gray matter....sure it's not "that bad" and you can ride it. But for us neanderthals who tend to bomb with reckless abandon and wonder "can I clear that" over every potential option....Avery is friggin rowdy. I am getting antsy just sitting here thinking about it. Dang I wanna go ride it now. DANG IT WOODCHIPS. Buddies heading up to WNC right now to go fish/camp/climb for the weekend but now I want to cancel it all and go ride Avery.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

See you guys with shovels 6/16!
    Agreed! Avery rewards full commitment in spades