Attention EAST Asheville / HAW CREEK riders!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Attention EAST Asheville / HAW CREEK riders!

Looking for someone interested in training / riding in the East Asheville area. Cross Country rider with a freeride streak... I have heard there are some smaller trails in the Haw creek area, but need someone to show me and my ISIS the way! Am familiar with some trails, but only a few. Also looking to find out more about trails at Montreat and Warren Wilson...... Any help or contact info appreciated!

Heads up Flyboy!!

Haw Creek Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Dscarbs
    Looking for someone interested in training / riding in the East Asheville area. Cross Country rider with a freeride streak... I have heard there are some smaller trails in the Haw creek area, but need someone to show me and my ISIS the way! Am familiar with some trails, but only a few. Also looking to find out more about trails at Montreat and Warren Wilson...... Any help or contact info appreciated!

There is a trail I've never ridden but , been to at the end of Shope Creek Rd. Near Bull Mtn. that goes to the parkway.
    I've been meaning to explore Warren Wilson myself. I've heard there is a great mix of trails there and I have hiked the dam loop off of Riceville Rd. I know you can connect to other trails in the Warren Wison System from Here. To get there, From Asheville take Exit 55 off of 40 and take a left at the top of the ramp to get to hwy. 70. Take a right towards Black Mtn. and take a left on Warren Wilson Rd. Follow to the college and take a left on Riceville Rd. Pass the ******d Bound school and look for Dillingham Cir on the right with a church just before it. DO NOT TURN RIGHT HERE! Instead just beyond the road look for a gated rd about 25yds past the church on the left. This would be a good start location.
    There are several great trails in the Black Moutain/ Montreat area. Most of Montreat is closed to bikes but, Rainbow Rd( actually a trail) is open and will take you to The Old Toll Rd. ( The original rd to Mount Mitchell before the parkway was built) which has become a wide rocky doubletrack. A 15 mile climb takes you to the parkway and Heartbreak Ridge. One of my favorite rides. If your up for a 30 mile ride sometime I'd be glad to show you some of this area.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Cool, any others out there? Smaller trails nearer East Asheville?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

riceville ridin

i just moved away riceville rd back to nor cal but i rode the trails at the end of shope crk road. really nice single track and lots of double track. also if you go to the start of riceville rd at the va hospital there are trails behind the huge empty va building on the left that go all the way to haw creek and the parkway. i would ride the mtn to sea trail up to the lookout on the parkway. also go to the shop in black mountain and they can tell you all about blk mtn/montreat trails. ask for alex. hes the man. good luck.

mtbr member

cool

Yes, I am very familiar with the trails behind the VA, ( I think). I am assuming you are talking about the one that goes up a old gated road back behind the VA. At the first hairpin corner, you take a left onto the trail, which is pretty good singletrack, although short.

On Shope creek.......... I have hiked there before, but it seems I just walked up an old road until it finally just kind of petered out and got really steep. Where is the singletrack you speak of? I guess I may have just not cut off of the main road............. Can you or someone else give me some more info?

By the way, the trail on the mountain to seas trail heading up towards the lookout for Haw Creek looks sweet, but It is my understanding that it is off limits to bikers? I have though several times about scoring some of that...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    " VA trail, At the first hairpin corner, you take a left onto the trail"
    yeah it goes for a while then gets very steep and hits the parkway. at the gate the other trail there runs into the mtn to sea trail that goes up to mt mitchell.

"On Shope creek.. Where is the singletrack you speak of? "
    go to the end of shope creek rd and cross the creek. go up the road unto it splits, go left and not far after that look on the right for a singletrack. it goes up for a while and there are a few other trails in there. if you ride up until you hit a t, go left youll hit a camping spot and then go right. that trail goes up for a while. super fun. itll dead end and then its all downhill back to the road. i saw alot of wild turkeys back there..

"mtn to sea but It is my understanding that it is off limits to bikers? I have though several times about scoring some of that"

all of the mtn to sea is off limits but i rode it from the folk art center all the way to town mtn road alot. always during the week and i would hardly see a person.
    those were all the trails i road to from my house. there were a few other trails from upper grassy branch that go up to the mtn to sea trail.

http://www.polarismaps.com/prtpub_wwc.html
    http://www.topozone.com/default.asp this has all that area that you can look at.

the trails from montreat are the best. you should do some big loops over there. rainbow up to where the old hunting campers/almost to the parkway and then its downhill almost all the way to old fort. its super long but super epic.
    also go to epic cycles in blk mtn (alex or allen) and find out about the trails around there. they also have rides from the shop once a week.
    there is another killer trail that starts beside I-40 at the top of the mountain in blk mtn.. a bunch of switchbacks to the top and a super sic downhill to old fort and then a paved climb back out.
    have fun.

mtbr member

Thanks...

For the info on Shope.. I will have to check that out soon! Yeah, the other trails there behind the va are the same I am thinking of.. I can at least get an a little riding in if I ride them a few times.

mtbr member

Another thing.......

I guess the origional intention of my post was that I had heard there were some freeride oriented trails in Haw Creek itself. I had also heard that they were on private property... I was hoping there was someone kind enough to show them to another rider local to Haw Creek, but so far, no luck! But all the other trail info is helpful, esp shope creek..

mtbr member

Here is the old post, hope this helps litespeedchick

let me know when you plan on getting out there if you are looking for someone to ride with. Hope someone can shed some more light on any other trails, if any...

mtbr member
    Thanks for topping. I knew I had read something about Haw Creek but couldn't remember what. We drove past that area Saturday when I was checking out Town Mtn Road in prep for the TT on Friday. Sounds like Haw Creek is probably great for locals but not really a destination for Greenvillians.

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Buying a house there now

We will move in to our new place about a mile from Warren Wilson, off Old Farm School Rd, in early June. I plan on doing a lot of exploring then and it'd be great to not be solo all the time.

PM me and I'll send my contact info.

mtbr member

i live near warren wilson college..

There are about 3 miles of trails on Jones mountain..good for laps but not that much fun, Shope creek is kinda ok and could be pretty cool but it is kinda overgrown, but if some people started riding over there it could be really good.
    There is nothing in Haw Creek except for constuction sites and rough roads waiting to be developed.
    There is a " secret network" of trails behind Chemtronics on Superfund land that will make you glow orange as you ride along.
    Warren Wilson has many other trails but they are not open for bikes.

mtbr member

Question...

Where is the Chemtronics on Superfund land ?

Towards black mountain??

mtbr member
    Yeah, I live in Haw Creek really close to what "trails" that are around... It is a great, "I don't have time to do a real ride" kind of ride. Leave your house, ride uphill the parkway untill tired, then come back and cut off into some land behind houses in haw creek that have trails that eventually connect to the parkway for about 20 minutes of singletrack.. (note these are not the mountain to seas trail) Nice to have around, but not worth going out of your way to ride....

mtbr member

WWC Road..

Don`t turn on Riceville road, just keep going past the college. Just before you get to the Owen plant there is a road on the left that ends at a closed gate with the defunct, decrepid Chemtronics plant behind it.
    The trails are illegal stuff( private, contaminated property) that ATv`ers made and some of the mtb team from WWC train over there.
    Pretty good, but i really would rather not risk-it on that property. If im just doing a quickie then i just do Jones mountain....