Ashville- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ashville

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Ashville

Looking for some help here. My wife and I are headed to ashville this Saturday for a week. We're bringing our bikes and I'm looking for some trail reccomedations. She will need something easier like fire roads or a beginner single track. I'm looking for some trails that maybe I can branch off and hit real quick that are a bit more technical. ( as long as she lets me! ). Also if there's any trails that are able to be shuttled ...I may be able to pull that off. I like the dh/fr stuff but not sure what's there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bent Creek may be the best bet for her to run fire roads and you to branch off (have her go up/down Ingles, and you climb Ingles and go down Greenslick?)

Or if you want a great shuttle ride you could shuttle heartbreak ridge, and she could ride down curtis creek (fire road) in parallel. Only problem is that each dumps you out in different spots so someone would have to ride through town to get to the other at the bottom.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by OS cuda' View Post
    Looking for some help here. My wife and I are headed to ashville this Saturday for a week. We're bringing our bikes and I'm looking for some trail reccomedations. She will need something easier like fire roads or a beginner single track. I'm looking for some trails that maybe I can branch off and hit real quick that are a bit more technical. ( as long as she lets me! ). Also if there's any trails that are able to be shuttled ...I may be able to pull that off. I like the dh/fr stuff but not sure what's there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like you intend to mostly stick together? If so, Bent Creek is your best bet for that. Links to PDF Trail maps are here: Bent Creek Area Trail Maps

It's a bit hard to decipher because the trail list doesn't include roads. The numbers in black text/white boxes designate the fire roads (solid yellow or green).

You can also extend the gravel road loop (Bent Creek Gap and Hard Times) into the NC Arboretum, on the upper right of the map. Trails in that area are hiking only.

The easiest trails in Bent Creek are Boyd Branch, Campground Connector, Deer Lake Lodge and the Explorer Loop. Our local Beginner (which we are now calling Novice) group ride also includes Homestead/Pinetree/Deerfield. Those have a few rooty/rocky technical areas and short but steep pitches that may require her getting off the bike. Same goes for Ledford and Wolf Branch.

For more advanced/faster riding, check out Ingles Field Gap, Lower Sidehill, Little Hickory Top/Sidehill and Green's Lick.

One suggestion: climb North Boundary Rd. together (on map, designated as both road: 491/485 and trail: 135). Go up to what is called Five Points, where North Boundary/Ingles/Little Hickory Top meet. Big flat gravel area with a nice view to the Northwest. You could drop down Ingles Field Gap while your wife returns down the gravel road, and meet up at the other end. Or, if she can handle the descent, both go down Ingles Field. It's steep in places and has a few rock gardens, but is mostly smooth and quite fun for those on the edge of Beginner/Intermediate.

The Bent Creek Lower Rim Ride is on Wednesday evening. Details are here:
    PAS - The Bent Creek Lower Rim Ride - Asheville Mountain Biking Meetup Group (Asheville, NC) - Meetup

On the same website, you'll also find an Intermediate Upper Rim Ride that starts later the same evening. We sometimes ride until 9:30p or later (lights required), so it would put you and your wife on different time schedule and leave her waiting around. We hit all the good stuff in one big loop.

Another area to check out is DuPont State Recreation Forest. Lots of options there for all levels with the added bonus of sightseeing for numerous waterfalls.

Hope this gives you a good idea where to start. Have a great trip!
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks alot! Def gives me a place to start. I do plan on staying together but the true rider in me wants to at least get out for a short while and check some of the better spots. I've never ridden down there and I've heard it's awesome. We're coming down from Baltimore and the weather forecast looks good so we shall see! Too bad for me it's not a riding trip with my boys... but happy wife happy life right....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You might want to visit this site for more info:
    http://www.ashevillenow.com/outdoor-...untain-biking/

Official Cooler Inspector
    If you could split up for a couple of hours, Dobo's info would be a great option. The Wednesday group is very mixed and it's a "social ride". Some of the folks split off for more intense routes, but every one usually meets back up around the same time. Mrs. OS would be welcomed and have a nice ride with locals.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Members who have read this thread: 0