Asheville Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Asheville Trails

Hi all! I will be in Asheville in less than a month and will be looking to ride once or twice.

We are staying in Maggie Valley so I am looking for a fun memorable trail to ride between MV and Asheville. I will have 3-4 hours to ride so any suggestions that anybody has would be great.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Fire Mtn in Cherokee is your best bet... 4 hour ride window wont get you much since you'll spend at least an hour driving one-way to get to the classic Pisgah riding, Tsali, etc...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Seems like I have seen a lot of people talk about DuPont. How is that?

Our plan is for me to get up and ride in the morning and then meet the rest of the people with us in Asheville for beer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d.gibson View Post
    Seems like I have seen a lot of people talk about DuPont. How is that?

Our plan is for me to get up and ride in the morning and then meet the rest of the people with us in Asheville for beer!
    Dupont is about an hour from Asheville and about an hour and a half from MV. If you dont mind all that driving its a great place to ride.

Even better might be Bent Creek since its in Asheville and closer to MV than Dupont and has great riding. You could get a good ride in and then meet your folks in Asheville quickly.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you for your help! If you think of anything else, please let me know.

mtbr member
    Also maybe consider Mills River area - Trace and Fletcher are great trails and fit into your time window. Plus Sierra Nevada is right around the corner.....
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

since 4/10/2009
    Also pay close attention to trail reports after Florence rolls through this weekend. Some trails are likely to get hammered and might force you to change plans.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hi all! I will be in Asheville in less than a month and will be looking to ride once or twice.

We are staying in Maggie Valley so I am looking for a fun memorable trail to ride between MV and Asheville. I will have 3-4 hours to ride so any suggestions that anybody has would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Unfortunately there's not a wealth of riding between Maggie Valley and Asheville, well, none really.

If I were you, I'd probably ride one day over at Fire Mountain in Cherokee (30 minutes West), it's all flow trail and pretty rippin'. Second day I'd ride Kitsuma (45 minutes East) for a taste of the natural stuff around here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat View Post
    Also maybe consider Mills River area - Trace and Fletcher are great trails and fit into your time window. Plus Sierra Nevada is right around the corner.....
    Upper Trace is trashed.

If you have MTB Project, Mostah Mills is a nice route and MTBP gives location so folks unfamiliar with the trails can stay on script.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    Unfortunately there's not a wealth of riding between Maggie Valley and Asheville, well, none really.
    Your first statement is true, your second, not so much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    Upper Trace is trashed.

If you have MTB Project, Mostah Mills is a nice route and MTBP gives location so folks unfamiliar with the trails can stay on script.
    Please explain. Upper trace was pretty awesome a few weeks ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jasec79 View Post

I guess if you like gonzo erosiontrack it would be awesome. Glad you enjoyed it!

mtbr member
    I've lived here a month, so basically, I don't know much.

BUT; if you ride bent creek (which I think is sweet):

Rice Pinnacle Parking lot > climb wolf branch > climb ingles field gap > 485 (service road) > Greens Lick (down) > Sidehill (climb) > Little Hickory Top (climb) > Ingles Field Gap (down) > wolf branch (down) then return to parking lot. 1800 vertical & 14 miles?

It certainly does take a while to get down towards Brevard, but the riding is great.

My son and I rode the following this weekend (recommend). Parked on Avery Creek (477) road near the Horse Stables. Climb clawhammer road (#5058). At the top of the road take Black Mountain Trail left. Black Mountain > Buckwheat Knob > Bennett Gap back to Avery Creek Road (477). 2600 vertical & about 11-12 miles? The route is ROWDY (for me anyway). Chunk, rocks, fast stuff, some hike a bike, etc.

I'd eat @ Nine Mile on Montford
    Luella's BBQ (up north) is good too
    I also like Mellow Mushroom & Asheville Pizza and Brewing
    White duck taco
    The patio @ Funkatorium has a sweet spot in my wives heart (she likes sour beers)
    I like catawba, hi-wire & pisgah brewing too; haha

have fun!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jasec79 View Post
    It has gotten a bit rough in the last two weeks, the last few rains have really eroded the section between the first left hand turn and the first little climb after you drop in. The rest is fine though.

I don't think it's that bad though, I've seen it get much worse and it just seems par for the course on Trace at least once a year for it to erode out and be chunky, then smooth out again after a few months. Last year it was around June, this time it was in September. I didn't think it was that bad but it is definitely not as smooth as it was 3-4 weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    It has gotten a bit rough in the last two weeks, the last few rains have really eroded the section between the first left hand turn and the first little climb after you drop in. The rest is fine though.

I don't think it's that bad though, I've seen it get much worse and it just seems par for the course on Trace at least once a year for it to erode out and be chunky, then smooth out again after a few months. Last year it was around June, this time it was in September. I didn't think it was that bad but it is definitely not as smooth as it was 3-4 weeks ago.
    Call me crazy but I really like that upper section... especially the gap over the root drop into the rock garden after that first left hand corner. Its nice having challenging trails to ride. Yeah erosion is bad and all that but at least its not running into a creek or something.

Once the leaves fall and the Winter rains start those holes will fill in with leaves and it will be the same as its always been. Happened last year and the year before and the year before that, etc, etc...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Call me crazy but I really like that upper section... especially the gap over the root drop into the rock garden after that first left hand corner. Its nice having challenging trails to ride. Yeah erosion is bad and all that but at least its not running into a creek or something.

Once the leaves fall and the Winter rains start those holes will fill in with leaves and it will be the same as its always been. Happened last year and the year before and the year before that, etc, etc...
    Yea, I enjoy that short bit too, it just tends to get a bit rough sometimes.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic slalom View Post
    I've lived here a month, so basically, I don't know much.

BUT; if you ride bent creek (which I think is sweet):

Rice Pinnacle Parking lot > climb wolf branch > climb ingles field gap > 485 (service road) > Greens Lick (down) > Sidehill (climb) > Little Hickory Top (climb) > Ingles Field Gap (down) > wolf branch (down) then return to parking lot. 1800 vertical & 14 miles?

It certainly does take a while to get down towards Brevard, but the riding is great.

My son and I rode the following this weekend (recommend). Parked on Avery Creek (477) road near the Horse Stables. Climb clawhammer road (#5058). At the top of the road take Black Mountain Trail left. Black Mountain > Buckwheat Knob > Bennett Gap back to Avery Creek Road (477). 2600 vertical & about 11-12 miles? The route is ROWDY (for me anyway). Chunk, rocks, fast stuff, some hike a bike, etc.

I'd eat @ Nine Mile on Montford
    Luella's BBQ (up north) is good too
    I also like Mellow Mushroom & Asheville Pizza and Brewing
    White duck taco
    The patio @ Funkatorium has a sweet spot in my wives heart (she likes sour beers)
    I like catawba, hi-wire & pisgah brewing too; haha

have fun!
    I personally don't like climbing Ingles Field. Probably blasphemy, but I don't have the gas for it. I have to stop too many times on my way up, and it sucks the rhythm out of things. I take the long way up Boundary Rd., as I'm able to stay on the bike and just keep chugging away at it. I think it's a little more climbing overall, but it's the grade that I pay more attention to when I'm riding it. For the way I like to ride, I'm also less thrilled with Green's Lick. I'll ride it because it's there, but I go up there for the climb (I need the work on my climbing), not the descent. Too much raw speed on that one gets more sketchy than I care for. There are other downhills in Bent Creek I like better, even though they are mostly shorter.

FWIW, there's a Nine Mile in W. Asheville on Haywood. And if OP wants BBQ without going all over Asheville, there are options on the west side of town, too. My favorite pizza spot in town is White Labs, tbh. Mellow Mushroom is a pretty big chain and you can find them all over.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for all the info. My wife likes the sour beers too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Would anybody want to ride on Friday Oct 7 in the morning somewhere close to Asheville?

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks for all the info. My wife likes the sour beers too!
    New Belgium should be on the list for sours, too.
    Would anybody want to ride on Friday Oct 7 in the morning somewhere close to Asheville?
    Would love to, but I am headed out of town for a vacation of my own.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Agreed. Honestly in the grand Pisgah scheme Trace doesn't come to mind when I think of gnarlyness

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think that's the 5th.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    Agreed. Honestly in the grand Pisgah scheme Trace doesn't come to mind when I think of gnarlyness
    Exactly!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yes, it is the 5th.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Next week I will be there in Asheville. I think I have narrowed my ride choices down to Ingles Field Gap Loop or Fletcher Creek. It looks like the Bent Creek area is closest to downtown Asheville for when I get done.

Do you all think that those would be good choices?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Next week I will be there in Asheville. I think I have narrowed my ride choices down to Ingles Field Gap Loop or Fletcher Creek. It looks like the Bent Creek area is closest to downtown Asheville for when I get done.

Do you all think that those would be good choices?

Thanks
    Ingles Field is OK, probably my favorite ride in Bent Creek, but I'd hands down prefer to ride in North Mills.

Park at the Trace Ridge trailhead, drop down lower Trace to the bottom of FS 5000 (Wash Creek Rd), ride up that to Spencer Gap, then Spencer Branch for the most fun descent in Pisgah (IMO), take a right on the road, then left on to Fletcher. Boom. 11 miles, 1800ft climbing, approx 1hr30 moving time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Could north mills be called something else? I am looking on MTB Project and its not showing up

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

since 4/10/2009
    Bent Creek is closer to downtown Asheville, true.

The Ingles Field Gap loop is this ride?
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/789...field-gap-loop

The the Fletcher one is this?
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7007215/fletcher-creek

The Ingles Field ride has a good bit more climbing and descending. That Fletcher ride will be a good bit easier. It's one of the easiest rides you'll find in Pisgah, honestly. I actually mapped that one out specifically as a ride with as little climbing as I could find. The grades are pretty gentle on it, really. My preference is to do Trace or Spencer and THEN descend Fletcher.

I haven't done that SPECIFIC loop in Bent Creek, honestly. I don't think I would do it, because it's a lot of boring gravel miles to put in to access the fairly short Ingles Field descent, and only that descent.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    Park at the Trace Ridge trailhead, drop down lower Trace to the bottom of FS 5000 (Wash Creek Rd), ride up that to Spencer Gap, then Spencer Branch for the most fun descent in Pisgah (IMO), take a right on the road, then left on to Fletcher. Boom. 11 miles, 1800ft climbing, approx 1hr30 moving time.
    I really like this ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for sending this to me. I am really new to riding and other than riding several times at the same park here locally, I have not ridden anywhere else. So coming out there and wanting to ride is a little daunting for me. But I know that I will be able to get it done!

Looks like what you all have sent me are individual 'rides' that I can follow.

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Has anybody been to the Oktoberfest in Asheville that is on Saturday the 6th?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Looking into a second ride this week while I am there in Asheville. Looks like the Fire Mountain trails is a good option based on the reviews.

Any thoughts on this being a good second ride?

Thanks

Big Mac
    Looking into a second ride this week while I am there in Asheville. Looks like the Fire Mountain trails is a good option based on the reviews.

Any thoughts on this being a good second ride?

Thanks
    What was you’re first ride? Fire mountain is in Cherokee, no? Why not just do one of the others in the Asheville are?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    We are staying in Maggie Valley and my plan is to ride close to Asheville in the morning so that the rest of the people that I am with, they don't ride, can meet me around lunch time in Asheville.

I am thinking about getting out one other morning and it seems like Fire Mountain in Cherokee is a good option.

Big Mac
    We are staying in Maggie Valley and my plan is to ride close to Asheville in the morning so that the rest of the people that I am with, they don't ride, can meet me around lunch time in Asheville.

I am thinking about getting out one other morning and it seems like Fire Mountain in Cherokee is a good option.
    Well, you’re probably right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks again for all the help