Asheville Rentals and Rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Asheville Rentals and Rides

I'm gonna be in Asheville NC for a week from tomorrow till fridayish.

Looking for a place to rent bikes, and I prefer to begin my ride from the shop! Looking for beginner to intermediate trails. I'm a commuter up in the DC area, but it's been awhile since I've been on a mt. bike. My GF is an extreme beginner, and is timid. I'm looking for the best place to ride for the both of us. I'm hoping that there are some trails that have different lines, maybe a technical line for me, and a beginner line for the GF.

Anyone have any thoughts? I reached out to a couple shops with this question, and was disappointed with the responses. I didn't get too much feedback. Maybe it's a stupid question... maybe its a Saturday and there busy.

Because it bears repeating, I would prefer to be able to ride FROM THE SHOP, and not have to transport the bikes anywhere in a car.

Thanks for your time.

Ps. trail names are greatly appreciated. IE. instead of mentioning the "dupont state forest" give me a specific area, or trail that is sick/awesome/great for beginners/boring/etc. Thanks

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-c...y-1030441.html

Look and call some of the shops from under the Brevard section if you're interestd in DuPont. They can give you prices on rentals and trail suggestions.

Evolutionsverlierer
    Not sure what the rental situation is but you have three shops within riding distance to Bent Creek, starting with the closest Billy Goat, Fatz 2.0 and Motion Maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

mtbr member
    I would recommend either Bent Creek or Dupont. Riding from either of the three shops on Brevard Rd to Bent Creek is fine. Dupont is a bit of a hike from any shop. The shops in Brevard are the closest in proximity to trails but there isn't a whole lot of beginner friendly riding there. Do you know where you will be staying? I suggest bringing pedals and helmets. Some shops are set up more for "demos" and not "rentals".

mtbr member
    By far the best area for the kind of riding you're looking for is DuPont, specifically trails around Guion Farms. Ridgeline and Hickory, in particular, are fun for both true beginners and those with more experience. Riding from a shop to DuPont isn't happening though.

Bent Creek has good trail choices, Homestead, Explorer for example, and you can ride from the three shops above. I'd actually suggest riding in through the arboretum if I was riding from a shop. Know that the ride from the shop includes a mile or so on very busy 5 lane with a nice wide right hand lane. If you choose that, I'd give your "extreme beginner" riding partner a head's up about the traffic exposure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    In response to sugar brad: staying in north asheville, and I understand what you mean by demos vs. rentals. (I actually work at a bike rental and tour company up in DC, and all we do is rentals, no demos/retail). Will be bringing my own helmet. I don't ride clipped in, so I'll use whatever pedals the shop has that I end up going to.

thanks for the heads up about bent creek and brevard. Dupont is in the middle of nowhere on a map.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    By far the best area for the kind of riding you're looking for is DuPont, specifically trails around Guion Farms. Ridgeline and Hickory, in particular, are fun for both true beginners and those with more experience. Riding from a shop to DuPont isn't happening though.

Bent Creek has good trail choices, Homestead, Explorer for example, and you can ride from the three shops above. I'd actually suggest riding in through the arboretum if I was riding from a shop. Know that the ride from the shop includes a mile or so on very busy 5 lane with a nice wide right hand lane. If you choose that, I'd give your "extreme beginner" riding partner a head's up about the traffic exposure.
    When you say "right hand lane" do you mean a shoulder, or is the lane open to traffic?

Either way, thanks for the beta. I appreciate the trail names. The riding partner probably isn't gonna go for riding on any sort of highway. It's funny cause shes a rad whitewater boater, but when it comes to biking, she just doesn't have the experience to ride on any sort of road with traffic. Makes her super nervous.

I ran across a shop called "squatchbikes" that delivers to Dupont. Might have to check them out. Anyone know anything about squatchbikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    Not sure what the rental situation is but you have three shops within riding distance to Bent Creek, starting with the closest Billy Goat, Fatz 2.0 and Motion Maker.
    Doesn't look like those shops do the rental thing, but they do demos. I can't pretend I'm interested in buying a bike (I suck at faking it) so I'll probably go with Liberty Bikes or Squatch Bikes, and try to have a bike delivered to Dupont, or suck it up and stuff the bikes in a car. So much for "needing to ride FROM the shop..."

Never been to Asheville area. Didn't realize that everything was so spread out. Kinda dissapointed that none of the major mtb areas butt up to town....

mtbr member
    They just opened last summer. They are in downtown Brevard.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm with her. I've lived and biked in downtown DC, Manhattan, LA and SF and despise riding on the roads around here. Too many bad drivers going too fast.

I like Squatchbikes, never bought a bike there, but the people that work there are very nice and helpful. Also with riding distance of Bracken or you could even go to some of the Davidson River trails via the Brevard bike path with minimal road contact.

Quote Originally Posted by swell6 View Post
    ... a rad whitewater boater, but when it comes to biking, she just doesn't have the experience to ride on any sort of road with traffic. Makes her super nervous.

I ran across a shop called "squatchbikes" that delivers to Dupont. Might have to check them out. Anyone know anything about squatchbikes?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO View Post
    I'm with her. I've lived and biked in downtown DC, Manhattan, LA and SF and despise riding on the roads around here. Too many bad drivers going too fast.

I like Squatchbikes, never bought a bike there, but the people that work there are very nice and helpful. Also with riding distance of Bracken or you could even go to some of the Davidson River trails via the Brevard bike path with minimal road contact.
    Yeah, therein lies the dilemma. Brevard has good access to trail, from bike shops, but none of its beginner friendly. Bent creek is full of beginner friendly stuff, but to get there from a bike shop, you do have to navigate traffic for a minute. Then there's DuPont. Most of DuPont is beginner friendly, but miles from a shop. Delivery to one of the parking lots would be ideal. Asheville is a city in a valley, surrounded by mountains. So, there's that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You could look at hiring a guide, as well. If you guys are beginners, it would take the guesswork out of finding trails and navigating, along with having an experienced rider show you around. They might be able to transport the bikes for you, as well.

I've done a few with The Bike Farm, they've been fantastic and really helpful. They worked with us when we were complete beginners on a DuPont ride and were really helpful.

To be frank, though, you'll probably end up having to drive to get anywhere. The beginner trails in Pisgah, which are out the front door of The Hub, are pretty far down the road and would be pretty difficult for someone just getting into riding. You'd probably be pushing your bike a lot and it wouldn't be a really enjoyable experience.

As others said, DuPont is probably your best bet. You'll have some big-ish climbs for a beginning rider, but you can take your time and there is a lot of great stuff that a beginner can definitely ride right out of the Lake Imaging parking lot. The first part of it will be the worst in terms of climbing, the rest will be up and down.

Depending on your fitness level, I would go up Jim Branch from the Lake Imaging lot, meet up with Isaac Heath, take it to Locust, then go down Hilltop. You can either reverse that to go back to Jim Branch, or take Buck Forest Rd to Thomas Cemetery, take it down and climb back up, then take Buck Forest Rd again to Hickory Mtn Road, then go down Ridgeline.

If you want more, along the way, you can do Hooker Creek (watch for loose rocks, this is a trail you can really get some speed on and it gets tighter at the bottom, so modulate your speed) or Hickory Mountain. You can chop the prior ride up depending on whether or not depending on how much you want to do.

Also, don't be intimidated by the rocks at the bottom of Jim Branch. That's the only section on that route like that (just walk it). I think doing that whole route will get you something like 11 miles.

For maps, download Trailforks and/or mtbproject, both will have good maps of the area that you can use to navigate trailside, but download the region maps before going out there, because you probably won't have cell service. Most people are really nice, so if you get lost or have trouble, just ask someone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Seeing that you are in the North Asheville Area for lodging, Kolo Bike Park might be something to look into. It isn't your stereotypical WNC trail riding, but it has a good variety for beginners with optional features. I am not sure how long the loop is... but reasonably short (a couple miles). Also pump track & jump line to play around with.

Just a thought that no one had mentioned yet.