In Asheville for one day of riding - where to go?- Mtbr.com
    beautiful jackass

In Asheville for one day of riding - where to go?

I'll be visiting my mom for Memorial Day weekend and she lives in just NE of town in Riceville. I plan on bringing my Preston FR so I can have some early morning fun on Saturday or Sunday.

If you could experience one ride in the area, where would you go?

I'd like to keep the drive under an hour. It'd be a bonus for the trails to have some jumps and small drops.

Big Mac
    Peesgah!

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Tough call as Wilson's creek is just over an hour away and there's definitely some good stuff out there (but you'd need a guide). The craziest terrain is in Pisgah but you could easily hit Bent Creek and make sure you ride Greenslick for some good smooth, flowy, jumpy trail.

pronounced may-duh
    Kitsuma

mtbr member
    Kitsuma is a great suggestion- but it's less than 2 hours.
    For a bigger ride with your bike at this time of year, I'd actually suggest Farlowe Gap. Hyper death climb to the best descent in the forest, period. There's nothing else like it.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Kitsuma is a great suggestion- but it's less than 2 hours.
    For a bigger ride with your bike at this time of year, I'd actually suggest Farlowe Gap. Hyper death climb to the best descent in the forest, period. There's nothing else like it.
    Is Farlow the best descent in Pisgah? Hardest maybe, but the BEST? I dunno that's a tough one. But you're right, there is nothing else like it. And it's a must do, but the best descent? Lot's of descents to consider.

drunken pirate
    I'd do Laurel Mtn. > Pilot Rock
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

beautiful jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    Lot's of descents to consider.
    Keep 'em coming

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey
    Keep 'em coming
    Avery's Creek, Black Mountain, Butter Gap, Trace Ridge, Spencer Gap, just to name a few.

beautiful jackass
    And should I be worried about bears at any of these places?

drunken pirate
    And should I be worried about bears at any of these places?
    No.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

beautiful jackass
    I think Bent Creek is looking pretty good. I'd like to figure out a route to hook up with Greens Lick since that looks like a lot of fun.

I live in northern Virginia and most of the trails up here are super rocky and the ones that are fast and flowy don't have any jumps or anything so Greens Lick looks like it'll be a blast.

is no longer new
    May 2008
    since i live in black mountain, bout 15mins. from asheville, i'll recommend my neck of the woods first:
    Kitsuma (very short, but intense downhill/drops and shuttle-able)
    Old Toll Road/Ridgecrest Adventure Trails/Rainbow Trail - in Montreat/blk mtn - fun climbs, better downhills.

then there's:
    Bent Creek - you'd love green's lick for the speed, fluidity, jumps. and a nice long climb to boot.
    and all aforementioned in pisgah (never really ride there)

if you decide on black mountain area, PM me, i'll get you my #, and i'd be glad to ride with you, or start you off with directions if you prefer solo.
    CallMeTheNewGuy bikes across the US, summer 2010:

crazyguyonabike.com/doc/caravanofcrazies

That's Special
    I rode Kitsuma after work today. It was a blast and the trail is in great shape. A storm chased me the whole ride. Just as I made it back to the car, it starting pouring. It was cool.

Big Mac
    I think Bent Creek is looking pretty good. I'd like to figure out a route to hook up with Greens Lick since that looks like a lot of fun.

I live in northern Virginia and most of the trails up here are super rocky and the ones that are fast and flowy don't have any jumps or anything so Greens Lick looks like it'll be a blast.
    Bent Creek is a good option, not the best the area has to offer, but it's close and easy to navigate. Plenty of folks around to ask for directions too. It's easy to find a route that includes Greenslick as well, just get the map and choose your poison. Careful if it's wet! That hard pack clay on Greenslick is slicker 'en owl shiit when it's wet! Have fun!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    When you live here Bent Creek seems pretty tame and almost pedestrian, but for someone of decent/average skills who wants to get the most riding (i.e. avoid hike a bike) it's the best place. Farlow is intense, nasty, and pretty mean but it's almost certainly above the level enjoyment for most. Accessibility and navigation are key factors as well.

For one day of fun riding, easy to find, and easy to navigate BC is place.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

MIT Graduate
    +1 for Bent Creek!

Genius accepts genius unconditionally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    When you live here Bent Creek seems pretty tame and almost pedestrian, but for someone of decent/average skills who wants to get the most riding (i.e. avoid hike a bike) it's the best place. Farlow is intense, nasty, and pretty mean but it's almost certainly above the level enjoyment for most. Accessibility and navigation are key factors as well.

Yeah, you're right,Farlow is not the best place to direct a solo out of towner- my bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Judging from the bike he said he was bringing (a burly free ride bike) I don't think Farlow is that big of a stretch and with a map it is not hard to navigate.

Then again I did come across a lost hiker on Yellow Gap Road on Sunday after coming down from Pilot. I bent a brake rotor and opted to take the short way out bypassing Slate and Pilot Cove. She was parked at the first Pilot Cove / Slate TH and when she popped out on the road at the higher TH she had no clue where she was. She had intended to park at the second TH and hike the small loop up and over Slate Rock. We got it sorted and she started the slog down the road back to her car.

pronounced may-duh
    I'll be visiting my mom just NE of town in Riceville.
    I mentioned Kitsuma because it's fairly close to mom's place and he could probably get out do a loop and get back before mom gets the idea that he came to ride and not just for her.

beautiful jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist

You're making Farlow Gap sound pretty fun but if it's tough to navigate I wouldn't want to take it solo. I like a technical and fast trail with rocks, roots, jumps, and drops.

I'll still plan on riding Bent Creek early on Sunday (31st) and I'll give a shout on that Friday to see if anyone wants to meet up for some fast-rolling fun

And if anyone wants to show an out-of-towner the scarier places please send word!
    Last edited by one incredible donkey; 05-11-2009 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    You're making Farlow Gap sound pretty fun but if it's tough to navigate I wouldn't want to take it solo. I like a technical and fast trail with rocks, roots, jumps, and drops.

I'll still plan on riding Bent Creek early on Sunday (31st) and I'll give a shout on that Friday to see if anyone wants to meet up for some fast-rolling fun

And if anyone wants to show an out-of-towner the scarier places please send word!
    Using nothing but a map and good sense, I'd actually consider Farlow easier to navigate than Bent Creek. It's the remoteness and potential for death and bodily injury that makes me not want to direct a solo out of towner there. Farlow is not technical and fast for most people- it's just technical with rocks and other challenges compounded by steepness. I would not describe jumps and drops as the primary features, although they are there.
    The only tricky navigation part is making sure you stay on the main fire road once you turn off 475.
    I'd volunteer to tour you, but the weekend will be booked with real work and trail work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like others, I'd recommend Bent Creek. I visited Asheville for the first time earlier this year in March. I'm use to riding the rocky trails around central VA and the GWNF. Pisgah/Asheville was a nice change of pace. Bent Creek was a blast! Print the map linked off the SORBA site, and just explore. All the trails are fairly well signed, and things match up good with the map. You'll love Greenslick.

Its got what plants crave
    Yeah Farlow is not necessarily hard to navigate, but the climb to the top is miserable especially on a big bike. I can't imagine doing that as an out and back, you would more than likely be hating life. The descent is gnarly, big rocks and boulder fields that are steeper than most of the stuff I've seen in Pisgah, except maybe an illegal connector trail I accidentally poached once (poorly marked). It's fun with a group of your bros but the potential to fall and/or have a mechanical that would leave you stranded in BFE is high. Green's Lick is well groomed and fast and has some killer wall rides and opportunities to air it out, but it isn't that long. I like to head back up to Ingles Field Gap and ride down that way after I descend Greens Lick. I think if I have to recommend a single trail it will be Pilot Rock. If you can combine that and Laurel you're gonna have a good time. Pilot has some technical switchbacks, rocky descents, fun rock gardens, and even some good views. I think it's also pretty populated so if you get mauled by bears or raped by meth heads at least somebody will be along soon to gather your remains

beautiful jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Green's Lick is well groomed and fast and has some killer wall rides and opportunities to air it out, but it isn't that long. I like to head back up to Ingles Field Gap and ride down that way after I descend Greens Lick. I think if I have to recommend a single trail it will be Pilot Rock. If you can combine that and Laurel you're gonna have a good time. Pilot has some technical switchbacks, rocky descents, fun rock gardens, and even some good views.
    Awesome - I appreciate the suggested route info. The map I've been seeing for the Bent Creek area doesn't appear to have Greens Lick on it. Can you please tell me where on that map the trail is?

And any other suggested routes would be appreciated so I can get the most out of the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I think it's also pretty populated so if you get mauled by bears or raped by meth heads at least somebody will be along soon to gather your remains
    What about the meth-addicted bears

Apr 2007
    Awesome - I appreciate the suggested route info. The map I've been seeing for the Bent Creek area doesn't appear to have Greens Lick on it. Can you please tell me where on that map the trail is?

And any other suggested routes would be appreciated so I can get the most out of the ride.

What about the meth-addicted bears
    Don't worry about the meth-addicted bears, it's the bare meth-addicts you need to look out for!

On maps for Bent Creek, IMBO the best thing you can do is stop in one of the bike shops or hiking stores when you get in town (there are many) and buy one of the nice Bent Creek maps. It's produced by Pisgah Area SORBA (the local mtb club and keeper of all the Bent Creek trails, Squirrel Gap, Laurel Mtn, and now Farlow Gap). All the proceeds from it go into maintaining local trails. Greens Lick is on it.

~Shaun
    www.pisgahareasorba.org
    Bent Creek Trails co-coordinator

beautiful jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by FeloniousDunk
    Don't worry about the meth-addicted bears, it's the bare meth-addicts you need to look out for!

On maps for Bent Creek, IMBO the best thing you can do is stop in one of the bike shops or hiking stores when you get in town (there are many) and buy one of the nice Bent Creek maps. It's produced by Pisgah Area SORBA (the local mtb club and keeper of all the Bent Creek trails, Squirrel Gap, Laurel Mtn, and now Farlow Gap). All the proceeds from it go into maintaining local trails. Greens Lick is on it.

~Shaun
    www.pisgahareasorba.org
    Bent Creek Trails co-coordinator
    Excellent - thanks. I will find a good shop and do as you suggest.

I always love visiting Asheville and this trip will be even better with my bike

Its got what plants crave
    Oh, I think Greens Lick is also called "Lower Side-Hill" ? Could be wrong on that though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Green's lick is Green's lick not lower sidehill. It is not on the Pisgah Ranger District map but I am pretty sure it is on the new BC maps. Basically if you come up Ingles Field to Five Points make a soft left (basically 10 oclock) onto North Boundary and climb another mile and a half or so GL is on your left.

beautiful jackass
    I just wanted to bump this as the weekend approaches to see if anyone wants to ride Sunday morning or Monday morning in the Bent Creek area (or anywhere else fun). It'd be awesome because I get lost easily and I'm faster when I ride with others

I'll have online access through the weekend so hit me up here any time during the weekend. My name is Mike.
    Last edited by one incredible donkey; 05-23-2009 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Mike, how was the trip? How was the biking? I have not ridden the trails around Asheville either but plan on going in the near future and would like to hear from someone who also has not ridden them on their opinion of the trails.
    2020 Ibis Ripley
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 SC Bronson
    2013 Jackal

Members who have read this thread: 0