Asheville Area Trails KML?- Mtbr.com
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Asheville Area Trails KML?

If I move to Asheville I'm trying to determine a good place to live near trails. I want to be able to ride out my back door and have access to 15+ miles of trails, or better yet, be able to ride out the back door and have access to multiple trail networks.

Does anyone have a KML of all the trails surrounding Asheville? SORBA's site is kind of clunky and oldschool compared to say...Tallahassee MTB with an easy to use Google Map.
    Last edited by PaintPeelinPbody; 11-04-2012 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    You might have better luck in the TN forum.

Southeast - GA, TN, AL, FL - Mtbr Forums
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Edited to fit this forum (because I'm also looking at Asheville).

Rogue Exterminator
    If you want to live in Asheville and want the most trails in one spot, look at places near Bent Creek.

If you want Western NC and are open to areas outside of Asheville, you could look at Dupont also, but keep in mind that if you have Dupont in your back yard, you really are not super close to much else.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody View Post
    If I move to Asheville I'm trying to determine a good place to live near trails. I want to be able to ride out my back door and have access to 15+ miles of trails, or better yet, be able to ride out the back door and have access to multiple trail networks.

Does anyone have a KML of all the trails surrounding Asheville? SORBA's site is kind of clunky and oldschool compared to say...Tallahassee MTB with an easy to use Google Map.
    Move to Tallahassee then.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Are there are any greenways or trails that connect downtown Asheville to riding opportunities?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Are there are any greenways or trails that connect downtown Asheville to riding opportunities?
    There will be, depends on how much you want to work with the organizations that are trying desperately to make it happen. Bringing money into these organizations would be a help as well...

Rogue Exterminator

I don't know if anyone has told you yet, but you can ride mountain bikes on the streets too.

Seriously, the trail systems to down town Asheville are not far at all.
    However, if you want to actually live in down town Asheville, you may want a car.

Are you attempting to move here without a car, is that why you ask?

mtbr member
    Asheville is a great place to move and ride. Dont move to tallahassee.

If your looking to live near the city, you have a few 'ride out your door' options. From north asheville/downtown/montford area, you have easy access to a small system of trails at UNCA. I really like riding there because you can connect the trails that weave around campus, and then climb up to some trails on Lookout mtn. Im not sure how many miles it is, but I seem to find enough to feel like I got a decent ride with some climbing..
    There is also another system of trails at Richmond Hill, which is near the French Broad river, and maybe 2 miles from the unca trails. I really like these trails too! There are probably 4 loops, that cross over and overlap each other, making lots of options. Im sure you could get 15 miles out of combining the two areas.
    There is an ever-expanding greenway system and bike lanes here and there. Its pretty easy to connect west asheville, the river district, and downtown by bike. Im pretty pumped to see that new belguim brewery is putting money into the biking infastructure around town, so I think we are going to see some great changes by the time they move in (2015?).
    But, if you need more trails directly out your door then I guess Bent creek, or Mills River would be some options. But then you would have to get into your car to do anything else besides ride trail..
    hope thats a little helpful!

drunken pirate
    If you are looking for great mountain biking right out your back door I'm going to suggest Brevard over Asheville as there are a lot more trail choices (but a lot less jobs).

In Asheville the place to live is Bent Creek.

I don't know what a KML is but for trail data what you need is a map. Either Nat. Geo #780 or one of the new Pisgah Map Co. ones. Look at the map and all the trails and then look at neighborhoods that are linked to them.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bent Creek. This will be your best option, somewhere around here.

From BC, you've got miles and miles of trail and forest roads and you can link up to South Mills River and Pisgah Ranger District. You could do some serious riding from your door.

I've got a *.gpx for Bent Creek and Dupont trails. Message me if you want them.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    KML is the file system google uses for shapes within Google Earth or Maps.

I worked GIS and have used both consumer GPS and professional equipment from Trimble. I've lent these skills as a volunteer for designing trails in PA.

I also work in land use planning.

So yea...I'd be willing to work towards the cause, but the area has to attract me in other ways. Jobs and wages most importantly. Current city has plenty of jobs but the wages suck.

mtbr member
    On those criteria, there's lots of on-line information about wages vs. cost of living for this area.

A good place to start is right here:
    Just Economics of Western North Carolina - Creating Sustainable Livelihoods

In general, there's some fields with competitive wages but most are low in comparison to cost of living. What would you actually be looking to do for work?

Big Mac
    Generally speaking, the wages in this city also suck. Not in all fields, as Mike Brown mentioned, but most. But work is available.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Mike Brown, thanks for the heads up on the "Living Wage" info of Western NC. I've heard of living wage concepts, but never realized there were "certification bodies." Useful information.

Rogue Exterminator
    Wages here in WNC are not great as a whole.
    I make considerably less then what I used to make in other cities but still consider my quality of life to be better here.

Pisgah Dragon
    you should move to Colorado?
    Think about something that feels good.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Colorado is a significant plane flight or drive from family in Pennsylvania. While Denver has some of the cheapest flights in the country, I don't really want to live in Denver. Therefore I'd need to drive in out of Denver in order to catch flights home. Another knock against living that far from home is that if you don't have an understanding employer, they may not give you time off to go home for the holidays, or worse yet, they don't pay enough to afford a plane ticket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Yep

Does anyone have a KML of all the trails surrounding Asheville?
    I have (almost) all the trails in the Pisgah National Forest around Asheville (Bent Creek, Mills River, Davidson River, Black Balsam, the WIldernesses, Big Ivy, Panthertown Valley) and some other areas like DuPont State Forest available on my website:
    Mountain Biking in Western North Carolina - MTB WNC.

All data is stored in a GIS on the backend. It's originally derived from various public sources. It's field-checked by myself (with consumer-grade GPS) and aligned with some good quality high-res state winter orthoimagery where trails are visible. Managing agencies have been doing some professional-grade gps'ing of the trails and I incorporate that where available.

You can view the trails (and various nearby points of interest) in a google map on the site, and download the data in KML, GPX, or GeoJSON. I can send you a full export if you'd prefer and it's all free to use and share as you please.

I consider all of it a work in progress, of course, but geodata always is. Some if it gets imported into OpenStreetMaps from time to time.

That said...buy one of the maps mentioned above. Working in GIS you know they're works of art. Especially the Pisgah Map Company ones - they're the best resources you'll find. Bring those along with your GPS loaded up with data and you should be all set.

Members who have read this thread: 0