April trip to NC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

April trip to NC

Hey guys

I'm looking to plan a mini vacation sometime next spring, probably sometime in April to ride and drink some craft beers and I keep hearing great things so I'm looking to get started. Hope you guys can send in the right direction. We were planning something in the Asheville area. I'm not familiar with NC at all. We will be driving down from Boston with our bikes. We plan to be down there for 5 or 6 days.

Thanks.

I love Pisgah
    If you can get there before April 15th, you'll also get to enjoy the seasonal trails that otherwise close then. During the warmer months, those trails can suffer from too much user conflict.

Be prepared for possibility of having the odd frosty morning, but otherwise cool mornings and late afternoons. Having said that, Aprils a great month to ride there. Provided the weather cooperates.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks. I'm up for checking up other places in NC, but I met some people from Asheville over the summer while riding Kingdom Trails in Vermont and they highly recommended it.

I love Pisgah
    Right now their having the Pisgah Stage races there..

Also check out Blue Ridge Productions(whom is running the races) Facebook page. Theres a great vid from the first 4 stages.

Pisgah Mountain Bike Stage Race | Blue Ridge Adventures

2014 Pisgah Stage Race - IconMediaAsheville

A great all day ride of 4-6 classic trails...

Park at Fish Hatchery...ride up fire service rd 475B to the top of Cove Creek....do Cove Creek singletrack back down the the main FS rd 475 and turn right toward Daniel Ridge trail...do it CW..go back down to 475 and turn right again...go to the top of sesonal Butter Gap and ride back down to the Fish Hatchery.

THEN...load up and drive (I don't even take off my cleats) and turn right on 276 toward Brevard and drive down to the Park Rangers station just across from Davidson River campground. Park there. Ride from there turning right on 276...Soon you'll turn right at the first gravel FS rd 477...then turn right again at the horse stables on 5058 and climb...turn right on the next gravel rd 5098 and climb some more, all the way up till you intersect the Black Mtn trail at Pressley Gap(short step climb from there on blk Mtn)...turn right on Blk Mtn and do it all the way to the bottom...from there, pickup Grassy road trail back up to the top of Sycamore Cove and do it CW. It comes out on 276 again, just below the Ranger station. Done. Great one day ride (if your reasonably fit) that hits many of the shorter classics in that area.

One can add the seasonal North slope trail that goes around Davidson River CG(enter it from the farthest most part of the CG). I've done the same combo loops above and included it instead, and omitting the Horse Stables/Black mtn trail loop.

The end
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Rogue Exterminator
    First weekend in April will be the Spring Fling which is an event from Pisgah area SORBA.
    It will be free semi primitive car camping (bathrooms but no showers) at the Cove Creek Group campground and you can set your tent right next to your car.

Fun time that is family and dog friendly. We just ask you keep the kids on a leash. j/k

All the official information is not out yet but keep an eye out here or the PAS website and I will be posting it sometime after the new year. It could be a good opportunity to meet up with some local and join their rides or at least get ride suggestions.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Keep bumping the thread as a reminder - I would be happy to meet up with y'all and play tour guide for a day or two.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just wanted to bump this thread. I've done some research and it sounds like Brevard is solid place to stay. We're looking to stay at the Red House Inn. I've heard that's it's a good place with decent value without being a dump, breakfast included which is obv because its a B&B and I guess the owners are Mtn bikers themselves???? Any other places that would recommend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sunset motel, bike wash on site and short walk to downtown

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Red House Inn is a great choice. The owners are awesome, and it's right by downtown. You can ride into Pisgah from there if you want.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    The weather is great right now!