anything on the coast?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2003

anything on the coast?

i'm going to be on topsail island for a week (vacation), and wondered if there was any riding more towards the coast? i haven't been able to find much on the web, so if someone can point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not too much in the area for you that I know of. Greenville NC has some nice trails, and Raleigh Durham area has nice trails. I'm pretty sure that both are in excess of a 2-hour drive though.

I've also heard of good stuff at the military bases, but I think access is a problem in this day and age.

Might post on one of the following sites to see if any other locals know anything:
    Raleigh area www.trianglemtb.com
    Charlotte area www.smallbrowndog.com

Also, road biking should be pretty nice in the area.

lux
    Sure-Fire 'Lectric

Yeah, we gots stuff to ride on

I'm in Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach ('bout 20 inutes south of Topsail). We have a ton of stuff to ride on. Single track, dirt jumps, elevated stunts and urban. Look me up if you wanna ride.

lux

Jul 2003

Like what??????

Lux -
    I just moved to Wilmington and I'm trying to find some decent local singletrack. What's available (other than the UNCW trail) in the area? I'm just north of Wrightsville Beach off the ICWW.

lux
    Sure-Fire 'Lectric

You ain't from 'round heah, izzya?

Well. UNCW's not so bad, if you know where to go. Yeah, it's flat as hell, but has some cool stunts and technical stuff tucked away deep in the recesses. The best singletrack 'round heah is in Castle Hayne on the old rock quarry land. It's pretty amazing. Get in touch with Jason @ Chain Reaction Cycles or look me up, we'll ride.

Oh, and if you're into jumps, North Shore-Style stunts and urban, we got a lot of that, too

look forward to meeting you, even if you do talk funny,
    lux

Jul 2003

Still looking for the stunts at UNCW

I've been there 10 or so times and I still don't seem to be able to find them. I ran into a guy who said he had found them and pointed me in one general direction but I still could not find anything. Help!

Also - what's the deal with the stuff off Dow Rd. at Carolina Beach - I've heard it might be worth riding. Does anyone have any details on that?

Anything else available in the area???????

Hisforever

Dow Road?

In Carolina Beach, Dow Road is the back road around CB if I am not mistaken, I used to live in CB... Mainly back there its some dirt roads and some sandy areas mixed in. look between the sound and the back road, you can drive like 55 in some areas. if you were to explore around you could ride a little maybe 30 min one way towards fort fisher. but its likely to be overgrown.. some cool run down old concrete foundations if you look hard enough,

Castle Hayne is where you will prob find the best riding, stunts!!! Jacksonville used to have a sweet loop of camber hills roots.etc... it was about 6 years since i rode it last...

otherwise do what i did and take road trips to better riding locations