Anyone ride Black this weekend?- Mtbr.com
    drunken pirate

Anyone ride Black this weekend? Update

There was a tree down at head height near the upper Thrift intersection last week. Is it still there?

If so who wants to help me go cut it out this week? It needs to be gone before pmbar. It could be a little stubborn with only hand saws but we can get it! My schedule is flexible.
    Last edited by driftwood; 05-04-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey Driftwood,

If you find out whether or not it's still there I'll try to come down and help clear it. Let me know.

Chris

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    There was a tree down at head height near the upper Thrift intersection last week. Is it still there?

If so who wants to help me go cut it out this week? It needs to be gone before pmbar. It could be a little stubborn with only hand saws but we can get it! My schedule is flexible.

There is a ginormous tree still down on Thrift, but I don't recall anything in my way on Black between Pressley Gap and Thrift. So unless it is downhill from Thrift, it's gone.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

drunken pirate
    It was less than 1000 yards downhill from Thrift. Right at head level. I was able to just barely ride under it very slowly without a pack on. Probably a foot in diameter. Starting and finishing PMBAR would be more fun with it gone.

I really don't want to have to ride my bike all the way up there to see if it is still there so if anyone knows anything please post. Otherwise I'll be taking my saw up on Wednesday afternoon to see for myself. Could be a lot of work with hand saws, but whatever.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's still there as of today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It was less than 1000 yards downhill from Thrift. Right at head level. I was able to just barely ride under it very slowly without a pack on. Probably a foot in diameter. Starting and finishing PMBAR would be more fun with it gone.

I really don't want to have to ride my bike all the way up there to see if it is still there so if anyone knows anything please post. Otherwise I'll be taking my saw up on Wednesday afternoon to see for myself. Could be a lot of work with hand saws, but whatever.
    I know what tree you are talking about. That would be pretty dangerous at hour 13 in the dark. You are doing a noble thing. Thanks. Some time you should come to the ocoee area and ride clemmer with us. I think that would be more up your alley than the cuhutta race routes. I hear you on the race but the area has some great stuff.

drunken pirate
    Thanks Adam and Nate! I'm going to go and get the tree on Wednesday. Chris, if you, or anyone else, wants to come help post or shoot me a pm. Another set of hands would really help as hand saws tend to bind on larger trees. I have two saws and can bring some wedges....

Nate, I'll be making some more trips down to the Ocoee area this summer. One of the best thing about the Big Frog was I won a guide book for the area! I won't be back down for awhile but will try to remember to contact you to see if you want to ride next time I am down there.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

H8 H8 H8
    I'm not sure what was going on out there.... the batteries in my GPS died.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

2 wheels & a meat motor
    You can ride under the tree on Thrift.

Just down from the Turkey Pen Gap trail junction on Black, there is a ginormous tree down. At least it was there a week ago.

The bottom half of Farlow and the west side of Daniel are clear of organic obstructions as of this last Sunday.

drunken pirate
    In the off chance that pmbar starts and ends with Black again this year I went up today and got it.

Before:

After:

More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    He's even wearing little Driftwood socks. Awwww.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

mtbr member
    It's not a bug it's a feature!

nice work and thanks
    many gears, some pies

Thread Killer
    Thanks Adam and Nate! I'm going to go and get the tree on Wednesday. Chris, if you, or anyone else, wants to come help post or shoot me a pm. Another set of hands would really help as hand saws tend to bind on larger trees. I have two saws and can bring some wedges....

Nate, I'll be making some more trips down to the Ocoee area this summer. One of the best thing about the Big Frog was I won a guide book for the area! I won't be back down for awhile but will try to remember to contact you to see if you want to ride next time I am down there.
    Damn. Just saw this (no pun intended). And we shut down yesterday due to no power at work, would have been perfect use of my time. My bad.

See you Saturday. And I'm down for some Ocoee time later this year -- that area seems pretty cool, have never explored it beyond the race course.

Members who have read this thread: 0