Anyone lose a Specialized Stump Jumper Expert in the Raleigh area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Anyone lose a Specialized Stump Jumper Expert in the Raleigh area?

This is crazy.

I recently had my my 29er stolen which was an Airborne Goblin frame built out mostly with parts from my Giant XTC 3 whose frame I cracked in April. Since my steed was stolen, I have been in Detective Gadget mode whenever I drive around my downtown Raleigh neighborhood.

So today, I see an all black 29er with similar pedals to mine and I thought "that could be my bike painted all black." The person in possession of the bike saw me staring at it and took it out of sight of the road. Still thinking that this could be my bike, I parked the car and just walked up to the guy. I immediately realized that it was not my bike but it was one much nicer than mine. I asked the guy (I should really say "kid" since he was a teenager) if he wanted to sell it to which he replied "naah, I'm good." When I was walking away he asked for my number in case he changed his mind.

Well, he changed his mind and I bought the bike. I have reached out to my local riding community, my neighborhood, Specialized, craigslist, etc.

I just want to find the owner of this excellent steed. Without being too specific, this is a bike whose owner is really, really missing it.

The really odd thing is that the bike almost looks like a floor model except for the pedals. It still has reflectors on it and that crappy rear derailleur plastic guard. The tires have almost no wear on them.

If you or anyone you know has lost such a bike, have them contact me.
    Last edited by jscranton; 09-13-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Had one stolen from Davidson NC area recently.

Quote Originally Posted by jscranton View Post
    This is crazy.

I recently had my my 29er stolen which was an Airborne Goblin frame built out mostly with parts from my Giant XTC 3 whose frame I cracked in April. Since my steed was stolen, I have been in Detective Gadget mode whenever I drive around my downtown Raleigh neighborhood.

So today, I see an all black 29er with similar pedals to mine and I thought "that could be my bike painted all black." The person in possession of the bike saw me staring at it and took it out of sight of the road. Still thinking that this could be my bike, I parked the car and just walked up to the guy. I immediately realized that it was not my bike but it was one much nicer than mine. I asked the guy (I should really say "kid" since he was a teenager) if he wanted to sell it to which he replied "naah, I'm good." When I was walking away he asked for my number in case he changed his mind.

Well, he changed his mind and I bought the bike. I have reached out to my local riding community, my neighborhood, Specialized, craigslist, etc.

I just want to find the owner of this excellent steed. Without being too specific, this is a bike whose owner is really, really missing it.

The really odd thing is that the bike almost looks like a floor model except for the pedals. It still has reflectors on it and that crappy rear derailleur plastic guard. The tires have almost no wear on them.

If you or anyone you know has lost such a bike, have them contact me.
    A friend recently had his 2014 Stumpy 29er stolen from Davidson NC area. I can get serial number with pictures.

Rogue Exterminator
    Check with your local PD.
    Just tell them you are thinking about buying a buy and wanted to check if it was stolen first. They can check the serial numbers for you.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Folks,

Found the owner. Bike is returned to a happy owner.

Hopefully, the stolen bike gods will accept this offering and return mine.

J

mtbr member
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jscranton View Post
    Folks,

Found the owner. Bike is returned to a happy owner.

Hopefully, the stolen bike gods will accept this offering and return mine.

J
    Nice job, hopefully you have the kids info that you bought it from and turned it over to the cops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Man! I thought this may have been mine. :-(
    My garage was hit Tuesday night 9/9/14. They cleaned it out. And my stumpy fsr elite was one of the things they got. I'm the guy mentioned above that lives in Davidson area.
    I thought I was the only one to leave the the plastic spoke protecter on my bikes lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Goat_keeper,

Sorry. I will obviously keep my eyes open but this bike thief ring in Raleigh is local kids trying to move them anyway possible.

In fact, the kid called me back today with another bike for sale (this time a fixed gear roadie). The bike had been stolen last night and I found the owner in less than 10 minutes.

Cops are involved now.

Bike thieves suck. Until we bust them all, get insurance, register your serial number, take photos, and lock that steed up.

J

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Good deal! At least that's one less thief out there!

Rogue Exterminator
    I have a rabid pit bull tied to mine. Only problem is he hates me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    so how much money did you give the kid for the bike?

It's a weird situation sociologically. On one hand, it's just plain crazy weird that they usually have know idea what a bike is worth and probably sell them for hundreds or thousands less than they're worth. On another hand, it's disheartening to see that something thats worth so much to us is just a quick grab and flip for them. But the bottom line is, it's probably a lot better if they have no idea how much these things are really worth. Don't want to motivate them more!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    $200 bucks.

Here's the thing: expensive bikes are expensive because of frame material/technology and components. Those factors are completely lost on non-bikers. They only judge bikes on appearance. Visually speaking, there isnt much difference between a $500 bike and a $5000 one especially to an untrained eye.

The punk thieves who do figure out the difference become professional bike thieves.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Prime example of what our bikes sell for...
    They caught the guys that broke into my garage last week and got my stumpy FSR elite. (Which is amazing!!!) They told police that they sold the bike at a gas station on the way to the pawn shop for $100. This may be a fabricated story to throw the police off, but who knows.

mtbr member
    OP, you sir are a good man, I hope Karma pays you back tenfold. To those who have had their bikes stolen, I wish them a speedy recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    LyNx,

Karma paid me back (I think). My insurance came through for my stolen bike and I just purchased this bike:

Air 9 Carbon Frame- Size Large
    BB30 CYA inserts
    Cane Creek Headset
    Lefty Carbon OPI fork with XLR, 100 miles since mendon cycle smith rebuild
    Project 321 Lefty adapter
    Cannondale Hollowgram crankset 175mm arms, 39x26 sram rings(100 miles on them)
    Xpedo M-force titanium SPD pedals, super light
    Sram X0 9 speed twist shifters
    Sram X0 9 speed rear derailleur
    Sram XX front derailleur
    XTR m985 11-34 rear cassette
    Industry Nine Custom wheels, white arch rims, purple hubs and spokes, Project 321 front hub cap, DT swiss rear 10mm thru axle
    Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
    Thomson elite x4 90mm 0 degree stem
    Niner Moodust Carbon bars
    Ergon white grips
    Selle SLR saddle
    Salsa Flip-lock seat post clamp, purple
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29x2.25 tires front and back
    Hope Tech M4(4 piston) brakes front and rear, 185mm rotor up front, 160mm rear.
    Niner YAWYD top cap
    Stem riser bottle opener
    Sram PC-991 Hollow Pin 9 speed chain

Rogue Exterminator
    Hope Karma pays the little bike thief back too.

Honestly, I don't know what I would do if my bike was stolen. I don't make a lot of money but what I do make I decide to spend on bikes. I am however very cautious on where I keep and how I transport my bike. (Not saying you guys aren't and I know even the most cautious person can be got.) It does amaze me though that when I go out to eat at a popular spot for cyclists here how many bikes I walk past without locks out of the owners eyesight.

memorable member
    Nice job jscranton! I love how you just walk up to a bike thief and give him your number. Freaking awesome.

Congrats on your new ride.

It could be made into a monster, if we all pull together as a team.