anyone know much about this ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

anyone know much about this ride?

http://bicycling.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/292970
    My buddies and I are looking for a pisgah epic ride. Anyone ride this or have any other suggestions? Id really like to ride squirrel gap before it is redone so would love to have in in the loop. Thanks. BTW we like chuncky, technical, and pretty much everything else. Would like to limit hike a bike as much as possible. Thanks
    Pat

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    Where you comming from, do you know what trail head you want to start from?

How many hours/miles do you want to invest in this ride? You want an epic, or just a long ride?
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

banned
    Stay away from Turkey pen it sucks!

mtbr member
    pat- we have several ride suggestions on the pisgahareasorba site in my signature. Check them out.

r- TP could suck...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thumpduster
    Where you comming from, do you know what trail head you want to start from?

How many hours/miles do you want to invest in this ride? You want an epic, or just a long ride?
    Im from knoxville.
    No preference on trial head. The only time i have been there i started at the horse stables and rode all the way up the hill ran out of time and turned back.

I would say 4-6 hour ride is what were lookin for. Thanks for the help.
    pat

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    pat- we have several ride suggestions on the pisgahareasorba site in my signature. Check them out.

r- TP could suck...
    whats wrong with TP? Yeah i've seen all those. Any reccomendations on which one? From that site it seems to indicate the squirrel gap/TP ride is a great one. But ive heard several people discourage it. Thanks
    Pat

pronounced may-duh
    The squirrel / TP route you have chosen is great until you reach blk mtn trail. Squirrel is awesome and you get to ride a long way on that trail. But... There is a very long hike a bike on blk mtn trail to TP trail. The top of TP is all blocked with downed trees. and the parts that aren't have lots more hike a bike. Bring a saw and clear a few limbs while your up there.

I did this loop a few weeks ago. Very hard 6 hours to go 20 miles! The hike a bike towards the end really took it out of me and left a bad taste in my mouth. It's not the most "fun" loop unless you like long walks with your bike and really want an adventure. I know a lot of people really like this loop but they are hard and I'm soft.

PS: don't get lost!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pat_martin
    whats wrong with TP? Yeah i've seen all those. Any reccomendations on which one? From that site it seems to indicate the squirrel gap/TP ride is a great one. But ive heard several people discourage it. Thanks
    Pat

It would suck if Squirrel gets re-done in the wrong way. "R" is motobutane's first initial.

mtbr member
    If you have 2 cars, leave one at the visitor's center and you can skip the part going down TP trail. Just choose one of many ways to get from Buckhorn Gap to the bottom of Black. This makes a nice point to point ride.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    If you have 2 cars, leave one at the visitor's center and you can skip the part going down TP trail. Just choose one of many ways to get from Buckhorn Gap to the bottom of Black. This makes a nice point to point ride.
    That is a good suggestion. I'd recommend shuttling from the horse stables. and finishing the ride by hanging a right on Blk Mtn trail and then decending on Avery Creek to the Horse stables. This cuts out almost all the hike a bike. 100% singletrack

When did you get here?!?!
    I know a lot about that ride..... heh.....

It's a great loop except for the fact that Turkey Pen trail still MAY not be clear after this past winter's storms and subsequent deadfall.

Go for it. Bring extra food.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Im sorry guys i am not familiar with the area at all...and so dont know the visitor center or anything. We will only have one car so shuttling is not much of an option. Is there a map that shows the name of the trails? thanks

pronounced may-duh
    National geographic makes a good map. You can pick one up at any local bike shop. I highly suggest you get this map before entering Pisgah.

The NG map looks like this http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1210 but has a key that tells you what the trail names are.

Another good route is to start at TP trailhead
    SMR
    Mullinax
    Squirrel
    SMR
    FS 476
    FS 5018
    Horse Cove
    Cantrel Creek
    SMR back to the trailhead

zero hike a bike

mtbr member
    Im sorry guys i am not familiar with the area at all...and so dont know the visitor center or anything.
    Hopefully you have a GPS, otherwise you might end up familiar with a lot of trails (or not-trails) you didn't plan on riding... You'll hit several confusing and poorly marked intersections before you get 1/2 mile out of the TP parking area. Also, count on 6+ hours in the woods. Even the 'easier' route Maida suggests with 5018 and Horse Cove is 22+ miles and 5K elevation. You also need to have the ability to purify/treat drinking water or you'll find yourself dry and suffering (unless you want to drink from the creek and suffer a different way).
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I did this loop a few weeks ago. Very hard 6 hours to go 20 miles! The hike a bike towards the end really took it out of me and left a bad taste in my mouth. It's not the most "fun" loop unless you like long walks with your bike and really want an adventure. I know a lot of people really like this loop but they are hard and I'm soft.

PS: don't get lost!
    I agree w/ all that. It's a shockingly hard ride to just get 20 miles. On the other hand, i thought that Bicycling mag article was pretty funny. You do not need water filtration or a light. (take a camelbak and don't start after noon) It's a hard ride, but it's not a death march.

According to a friend, as of Sat June 5th, there are still trees down near the Turkey Pen/Black intersection.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    I agree w/ all that. It's a shockingly hard ride to just get 20 miles. On the other hand, i thought that Bicycling mag article was pretty funny. You do not need water filtration or a light. (take a camelbak and don't start after noon) It's a hard ride, but it's not a death march.

According to a friend, as of Sat June 5th, there are still trees down near the Turkey Pen/Black intersection.
    one man's recovery ride is another death march. There are some who would call a loop around Daniels Ridge a death march

I can confirm the trees down on TP. It's only the first 3 miles of so on the black mtn side but it really interrupts the payoff DH for all the hiking done on Black Mtn to get there. Not Fun!

If anybody ventures up there, do us all a favor and bring a saw. You don't have to spend all day cutting the whole path clear. Just spend an hour and cut out a few sections and continue on. If 3-4 groups did this it would be cleared for the rest of the season.

pronounced may-duh
    Im sorry guys i am not familiar with the area at all...and so dont know the visitor center or anything. We will only have one car so shuttling is not much of an option. Is there a map that shows the name of the trails? thanks
    When are you planning to ride? I'd give you a tour but I aint't riding TP.

mtbr member
    ???

You run out of light and it's a pain, but you've got until 9PM or so with enough light to see. You run out of water and it's plenty worse than pain and certainly un-funny. Will you die of thrist? No, there's plenty of water on the route - but there's also plenty of horse sh1t and likely some nasty bugs in the water that you don't want in you unless you like sh1tting your pants non-stop for a few days. It's simply foolish to go deep into any part of Pisgah without the ability to make the abundant water safe to drink.

1 decent light = 4 oz.
    1 bottle iodine = 2 oz.

If those 6 oz. are too much to bear then you shouldn't be trying to ride this route.
    many gears, some pies

That's Special

I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    ???

You run out of light and it's a pain, but you've got until 9PM or so with enough light to see. You run out of water and it's plenty worse than pain and certainly un-funny.
    I ran out of water on this exact route last year in the heat of summer half way through TP on my way back to the truck. Awful stuff. I bought a filter and have been happy ever since. Besides, the water out of the river is nice and cold.

I wrote the article. I sweat like a pig even on a cold day. I bring filtration. I suggest out-of-towners do the same.

(this coming from the guy that carries water filter/emergency blanket/gps/map/compass/lighter/whistle/first aid/2 tubes/extra food/leatherman/nutsboltscables/rain jacket/cash/kitchen sink on every ride...)

Also, I wrote it knowing that just about anyone may show up at the TP parking lot with that cue sheet in their back pocket. I wanted to make SURE that if someone doubted their abilities at all, they wouldn't try it. I hope folks use the cue sheet, it takes them 4-6 hours, and they come back with a great Pisgah experience. The description is a bit over the top for Pisgah vets like us but.... We're not perusing Bicycling to come up with Pisgah rides now are we?
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    I wrote the article.
    I saw you got credit for the (very nice) directions...didn't realize you wrote the whole thing. Come on...admit you were punching it up a little for drama's sake, no?

I conceed the point on water. I'm a non-sweater, so I guess I shouldn't give out water-related advice!

Come on...admit you were punching it up a little for drama's sake, no?
    Oh, yeah... see edit.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    When are you planning to ride? I'd give you a tour but I aint't riding TP.
    This saturday the 12th of june. Let me know if your available.

pronounced may-duh
    No can do, I have a little league game with my son.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have ridden that loop several times, in both directions. It's good. But you will have some hike-a-bikes on Turkey Pen and some smaller get off sections on Black Mountain. It's a tough but great ride.

mtbr member
    What time of day are you starting and did you decide on a Squirrel route?
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What time of day are you starting and did you decide on a Squirrel route?
    We plan to leave knoxville around 6 am so we will probably hit the trails around 9am. Not completely set on route but strongly considering Maidas suggestion SMR-Mullinax-SG-Horse-Cantwell-SMR. Unless I find something better.

pronounced may-duh
    We plan to leave knoxville around 6 am so we will probably hit the trails around 9am. Not completely set on route but strongly considering Maidas suggestion SMR-Mullinax-SG-Horse-Cantwell-SMR. Unless I find something better.
    That route is not very long (3 hours +/-) Add in a long climb up 5018 to make it a full day ride.

Can anybody confirm that 5018 is cleared of downfall?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That route is not very long (3 hours +/-) Add in a long climb up 5018 to make it a full day ride.

Thanks alot for the help now that I have my map it makes it much easier to understand the trails your talking about. Are there any signs at trail mergers or am I pretty much on my own?
    Thanks

pronounced may-duh
    yes, most trails have signs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    I have ridden that loop several times, in both directions. It's good. But you will have some hike-a-bikes on Turkey Pen and some smaller get off sections on Black Mountain. It's a tough but great ride.
    Have you ridden this ride recently to know what kind of shape its in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yes, most trails have signs.
    Maida approximatly how many miles is this loop? so i can track with computer thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

5018 is clear

pronounced may-duh
    Maida approximatly how many miles is this loop? so i can track with computer thanks
    Which loop?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Which loop?
    SMR
    Mullinax
    Squirrel
    SMR
    FS 476
    FS 5018
    Horse Cove
    Cantrel Creek

pronounced may-duh
    Even the 'easier' route Maida suggests with 5018 and Horse Cove is 22+ miles and 5K elevation.
    According ridn29s...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    how about this one...
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1201
    i know this is prolly in a different category but it seems to miss most of the bad trails you guys mentioned such as TP....thanks for the input

mtbr member
    SMR
    Mullinax
    Squirrel
    SMR
    FS 476
    FS 5018
    Horse Cove
    Cantrel Creek
    Look upthread...

Even the 'easier' route Maida suggests with 5018 and Horse Cove is 22+ miles and 5K elevation. You also need to have the ability to purify/treat drinking water or you'll find yourself dry and suffering (unless you want to drink from the creek and suffer a different way).
    That's calculated on NatGeo Trails program and is a few miles or so short over that distance and a few hundred ft off of elevation either way. My GPS has logged ~33 miles on that route previously with a side-trip over to Pink Beds for water included.
    many gears, some pies

pronounced may-duh
    how about this one...
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1201
    i know this is prolly in a different category but it seems to miss most of the bad trails you guys mentioned such as TP....thanks for the input

dude you ask way too many questions

That ride is stupid long BUT it has a good bail point before you head up laurel mtn.
    But it also has a lot of boring gravel roads
    The climb up laurel after 5015 is a serious gut check. If your not in major pain then hats off to you. Pilot is a great pay off but I'd be too wasted at that point to fully enjoy it.

for my money I'd do the squirrel and 5018, horse cove, etc...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the help maida we really enjoyed the ride. Especially the horse cove/cantrell creek downhill. awesome! Total ride was 32 miles. We headed the wrong direction a few times which added on 3-4 miles.

pronounced may-duh
    rock on brother!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Look upthread...

That's calculated on NatGeo Trails program and is a few miles or so short over that distance and a few hundred ft off of elevation either way. My GPS has logged ~33 miles on that route previously with a side-trip over to Pink Beds for water included.
    Since you had the GPS can you send or post a pic of the route map and the elevation? For:
    SMR->Mullinax->Squirrel->SMR->FS 476->FS 5018->Horse Cove->Cantrel Creek->SMR back to the trailhead.

I'm thinking of trying this route out. Did the S.Mills Camp ground ->Laurel->Pilot Rock->Pilot Cove->1206-> SM Camp last year, was great but looking for a little less hike a bike but the same amount of excellent trails. We did run low on water so I'm also interested in your side trip to refill! I've got the Nat Map so I will lay it out the route but the profile would be nice to see.

Otherwise we'll hit the Squirrel/Turket Pen route and suck it up for the hikes in the August heat!

We also did the Eastern Slick rock ride and had a blast...gave us confidence back that we could actually ride vs hiking with bikes from the day before! But looking for a recommended route that catches the waterfalls in DuPont. I know do some thread searching....
    Last edited by Ohwell73; 06-25-2010 at 06:34 AM.

banned

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! No Turkey Pen

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwell73
    Since you had the GPS can you send or post a pic of the route map and the elevation? For:
    SMR->Mullinax->Squirrel->SMR->FS 476->FS 5018->Horse Cove->Cantrel Creek->SMR back to the trailhead.

I'm thinking of trying this route out. Did the S.Mills Camp ground ->Laurel->Pilot Rock->Pilot Cove->1206-> SM Camp last year, was great but looking for a little less hike a bike but the same amount of excellent trails. We did run low on water so I'm also interested in your side trip to refill! I've got the Nat Map so I will lay it out the route but the profile would be nice to see.

Otherwise we'll hit the Squirrel/Turket Pen route and suck it up for the hikes in the August heat!

We also did the Eastern Slick rock ride and had a blast...gave us confidence back that we could actually ride vs hiking with bikes from the day before! But looking for a recommended route that catches the waterfalls in DuPont. I know do some thread searching....

Stick with the SMR-Squirrel loop,there is no hike-a-bike on that route. 5018 is a little hard to see off of 476 but there is a sign right by the gate(The gate is back up off the road and slightly around a curve) the sign says Funneltop Mtn so you will know your on the right path.If you took that exact route(SMR->Mullinax->Squirrel->SMR->FS 476->FS 5018->Horse Cove->Cantrel Creek->SMR ) then you would have to take the Guageing station trail to Pinkbeds to the parking lot to get water( Pinkbeds is a seasonal trail-closed during summer) So water purification is your best bet.I'll guess at 24 miles total.

Members who have read this thread: 0