Anyone done this route?- Mtbr.com
    Asheville YetiRider

Anyone done this route?

How many miles do you think this might be. If we left Rice P. just before sunrise do you think we could be back to Rice P. before we would need lights?
    N boundry>Greens Lick>Sidehill>479>5000>Upper Spencer>Never ending rd>Fletcher Creek>Lower Trace>1206>Laurel>Pilot>1206>276>5041>475B>225>Dan iel>Farlow>140A>5031>Sumney Cove>215>140>140A>5003>471>Butter>Fish Hatchery>475B>5041>276>477>Club Gap>Avery Creek>Claw Hammer>Buckhorn>S.Mills>Squirel>5015>1206>5000>Bac k to Bent Creek Rice Pinnacle lot.
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Asheville YetiRider View Post
    How many miles do you think this might be. If we left Rice P. just before sunrise do you think we could be back to Rice P. before we would need lights?
    N boundry>Greens Lick>Sidehill>479>5000>Upper Spencer>Never ending rd>Fletcher Creek>Lower Trace>1206>Laurel>Pilot>1206>276>5041>475B>225>Dan iel>Farlow>140A>5031>Sumney Cove>215>140>140A>5003>471>Butter>Fish Hatchery>475B>5041>276>477>Club Gap>Avery Creek>Claw Hammer>Buckhorn>S.Mills>Squirel>5015>1206>5000>Bac k to Bent Creek Rice Pinnacle lot.
    sounds like you are trying to defile yourself.......I like it
    Where's Nick at? he can trace it on his map and tell you what it is.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Is that a double epic ?

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    I think it'd be around 12 hours, but that's just my estimations of riding times, not including stops. I'd consider skipping greenslick and sidehill to save time. You can always hit some sidehill or something on the way back if there's still daylight.

drunken pirate
    That is at least 110 miles with 28,000'+ of climbing. Most 100 mile races take what 8-10 hours? I'm thinking this would be a little harder and might take as much as 12 hours

Realistic times would likely be in the 18-30 hour range. You'd better take lights and few dollars for the vending machines at the Hatchery. I'd say I'd do it with you but I won't . It would be good training for the 99 though
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    no...

mtbr member
    Up Farlow huh? Good luck with getting any takers...
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

When did you get here?!?!
    My quick topo route drawing says that would be something along the lines of 105 miles and 28.5K' climbing. I go about 5 miles, 1K' per hour.... so.... it would, theoretically, take me 20-28 hours to complete that route.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Asheville YetiRider
    Thanks for the input. It looks like I will have to put that one on the back burner for now. It sounds like more of a summer route of course without butter. I may be contacting Eric and Nick about their nifty little topo route drawings. Long Live Long Rides. We have an alternative bruin for the 16th that involves a shuttle if anyone is game. We can take care of your transportation for you = one less excuse.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Bent creek to squirrel gap, via south mills is a nice ride. can be done in around 6 1/2 to 7 hours. throw in laurel/pilot for an extra couple of hours and that should use up all your daylight. But after riding Laurel mtn AND squirrel gap I would be in a world of misery going up the gravel road from Bradley....

what about bent creek to laurel mtn to Parkway to big creek, then back to bent creek.

what's your alternate route? I may be game

Asheville YetiRider
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmorecarp View Post
    Bent creek to squirrel gap, via south mills is a nice ride. can be done in around 6 1/2 to 7 hours. throw in laurel/pilot for an extra couple of hours and that should use up all your daylight. But after riding Laurel mtn AND squirrel gap I would be in a world of misery going up the gravel road from Bradley....

what about bent creek to laurel mtn to Parkway to big creek, then back to bent creek.

what's your alternate route? I may be game
    Good route idea. We will have to do that one sometime. The alternate route plan for the 16th is "Tour de Pisgah" This ride is not associated with any type of sanctioned or club type rides.
    Summery Cove>140>5031>140A>Farlow gap>Daniel Ridge>225 (Cove Creek Rd)>475B>276>Avery Creek Rd>Club Gap>Buckhorn Gap>South Mills River>476>Yellow Gap Rd>Pilot Rock>Pisgah Inn>Parkway>Big Creek>Hendersonville Reservoir>5000 (Wash Creek RD)>Bent Creek Gap Rd>Lower side Hill etc.
    The 23rd were planning on doing a "Tour de Wilson Creek"

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    My quick topo route drawing says that would be something along the lines of 105 miles and 28.5K' climbing. I go about 5 miles, 1K' per hour.... so.... it would, theoretically, take me 20-28 hours to complete that route.
    Seems like I've finally found a group of riders who make me look sane by comparison.

Sure, I decided to turn the 100 mile Blue Ridge Breakaway (road ride) into a 155 mile epic by riding from Asheville to Lake Junaluska before and after.
    Sure, I went out and rode the ORAMM course by myself in the pouring rain and thunderstorms, the day after 400 other riders tore it up, on a bike that was in questionable condition.

Both of those took 10 hours with little to no stopping ('cept for mechanicals and two crashes on ORAMM)

Those seem easy by comparison. You guys are nuts!
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

Support Pisgah Area Soba

Good job!

Hey they looks like my route Asheville YetiRider, I am there....

This will be a one way route. I have room in my van for anyone wanting some transportation to the start. What time will we be starting the Ride?
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Asheville YetiRider
    Quote Originally Posted by Logover View Post
    Hey they looks like my route Asheville YetiRider, I am there....

This will be a one way route. I have room in my van for anyone wanting some transportation to the start. What time will we be starting the Ride?
    I sure as hell hope you will show up for your route.
    Check with our driver for the start time.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    I am thinking it should be a 9am start to be on the safe side.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asheville YetiRider View Post
    Check with our driver for the start time.
    Your driver has been waking up at 5am lately...you will be fine! Can't say I will be in a glorious mood but I will get you to where you need to be (I am easily bribed with decaf caramel macchiatos & pumpkin cupcakes )