Anyone done this route?

Printable View

• 10-05-2011
    Asheville YetiRider
    Anyone done this route?
    How many miles do you think this might be. If we left Rice P. just before sunrise do you think we could be back to Rice P. before we would need lights?
    N boundry>Greens Lick>Sidehill>479>5000>Upper Spencer>Never ending rd>Fletcher Creek>Lower Trace>1206>Laurel>Pilot>1206>276>5041>475B>225>Dan iel>Farlow>140A>5031>Sumney Cove>215>140>140A>5003>471>Butter>Fish Hatchery>475B>5041>276>477>Club Gap>Avery Creek>Claw Hammer>Buckhorn>S.Mills>Squirel>5015>1206>5000>Bac k to Bent Creek Rice Pinnacle lot.
  • 10-05-2011
    motobutane
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asheville YetiRider View Post
    How many miles do you think this might be. If we left Rice P. just before sunrise do you think we could be back to Rice P. before we would need lights?
    N boundry>Greens Lick>Sidehill>479>5000>Upper Spencer>Never ending rd>Fletcher Creek>Lower Trace>1206>Laurel>Pilot>1206>276>5041>475B>225>Dan iel>Farlow>140A>5031>Sumney Cove>215>140>140A>5003>471>Butter>Fish Hatchery>475B>5041>276>477>Club Gap>Avery Creek>Claw Hammer>Buckhorn>S.Mills>Squirel>5015>1206>5000>Bac k to Bent Creek Rice Pinnacle lot.

:lol::yikes::lol: sounds like you are trying to defile yourself.......I like it :thumbsup:
    Where's Nick at? he can trace it on his map and tell you what it is.
  • 10-05-2011
    supercusty
    Is that a double epic ?
  • 10-05-2011
    eatmorecarp
    I think it'd be around 12 hours, but that's just my estimations of riding times, not including stops. I'd consider skipping greenslick and sidehill to save time. You can always hit some sidehill or something on the way back if there's still daylight.
  • 10-05-2011
    driftwood
    That is at least 110 miles with 28,000'+ of climbing. Most 100 mile races take what 8-10 hours? I'm thinking this would be a little harder and might take as much as 12 hours :lol:

Realistic times would likely be in the 18-30 hour range. You'd better take lights and few dollars for the vending machines at the Hatchery. I'd say I'd do it with you but I won't :lol:. It would be good training for the 99 though :thumbsup:
  • 10-06-2011
    gtdrew
    no...
  • 10-06-2011
    "CHIEF"
    Up Farlow huh? Good luck with getting any takers...
  • 10-06-2011
    pisgahproductions
    My quick topo route drawing says that would be something along the lines of 105 miles and 28.5K' climbing. I go about 5 miles, 1K' per hour.... so.... it would, theoretically, take me 20-28 hours to complete that route.
  • 10-06-2011
    Asheville YetiRider
    Thanks for the input. It looks like I will have to put that one on the back burner for now. It sounds like more of a summer route of course without butter. I may be contacting Eric and Nick about their nifty little topo route drawings. Long Live Long Rides. We have an alternative bruin for the 16th that involves a shuttle if anyone is game. We can take care of your transportation for you = one less excuse. :)
  • 10-06-2011
    eatmorecarp
    Bent creek to squirrel gap, via south mills is a nice ride. can be done in around 6 1/2 to 7 hours. throw in laurel/pilot for an extra couple of hours and that should use up all your daylight. But after riding Laurel mtn AND squirrel gap I would be in a world of misery going up the gravel road from Bradley....

what about bent creek to laurel mtn to Parkway to big creek, then back to bent creek.

what's your alternate route? I may be game
  • 10-07-2011
    Asheville YetiRider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmorecarp View Post
    Bent creek to squirrel gap, via south mills is a nice ride. can be done in around 6 1/2 to 7 hours. throw in laurel/pilot for an extra couple of hours and that should use up all your daylight. But after riding Laurel mtn AND squirrel gap I would be in a world of misery going up the gravel road from Bradley....

what about bent creek to laurel mtn to Parkway to big creek, then back to bent creek.

what's your alternate route? I may be game

Good route idea.:thumbsup: We will have to do that one sometime. The alternate route plan for the 16th is "Tour de Pisgah" This ride is not associated with any type of sanctioned or club type rides.
    Summery Cove>140>5031>140A>Farlow gap>Daniel Ridge>225 (Cove Creek Rd)>475B>276>Avery Creek Rd>Club Gap>Buckhorn Gap>South Mills River>476>Yellow Gap Rd>Pilot Rock>Pisgah Inn>Parkway>Big Creek>Hendersonville Reservoir>5000 (Wash Creek RD)>Bent Creek Gap Rd>Lower side Hill etc.
    The 23rd were planning on doing a "Tour de Wilson Creek" :eek:
  • 10-07-2011
    dobovedo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    My quick topo route drawing says that would be something along the lines of 105 miles and 28.5K' climbing. I go about 5 miles, 1K' per hour.... so.... it would, theoretically, take me 20-28 hours to complete that route.

Seems like I've finally found a group of riders who make me look sane by comparison.

Sure, I decided to turn the 100 mile Blue Ridge Breakaway (road ride) into a 155 mile epic by riding from Asheville to Lake Junaluska before and after.
    Sure, I went out and rode the ORAMM course by myself in the pouring rain and thunderstorms, the day after 400 other riders tore it up, on a bike that was in questionable condition.

Both of those took 10 hours with little to no stopping ('cept for mechanicals and two crashes on ORAMM)

Those seem easy by comparison. You guys are nuts! :D
  • 10-07-2011
    Logover
    Hey they looks like my route Asheville YetiRider, I am there....

This will be a one way route. I have room in my van for anyone wanting some transportation to the start. What time will we be starting the Ride? :thumbsup:
  • 10-07-2011
    Asheville YetiRider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Logover View Post
    Hey they looks like my route Asheville YetiRider, I am there....

This will be a one way route. I have room in my van for anyone wanting some transportation to the start. What time will we be starting the Ride? :thumbsup:

I sure as hell hope you will show up for your route. :thumbsup:
    Check with our driver for the start time.:rolleyes:
  • 10-07-2011
    Logover
    I am thinking it should be a 9am start to be on the safe side.
  • 10-07-2011
    bouncybouncy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asheville YetiRider View Post
    Check with our driver for the start time.:rolleyes:

Your driver has been waking up at 5am lately...you will be fine! Can't say I will be in a glorious mood but I will get you to where you need to be (I am easily bribed with decaf caramel macchiatos & pumpkin cupcakes ;) )