Any Riders Living in the Asheville, NC Area??- Mtbr.com
    ChiliPepper1

Any Riders Living in the Asheville, NC Area??

Hey Hey!

I am looking for any riders that live and ride in the Asheville area of North Carolina. My wife and I were discussing moving to Oregon, but chose to stay a bit closer to our families, so we decided on the Asheville area of NC. Does any one know if the 26 Mountain Bike Park (lift access bike park that opened in '08) just north of Asheville is still in operation. We can't get any more info on it. Please help us out on current times in that area. Thank in advance!

-CP

Big Mac
    26 West is closed. For ever.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Nobody rides bikes in Asheville.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    26 West is closed. For ever.
    What happened for this to happen??????

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    Nobody rides bikes in Asheville.
    As posted....."in the Asheville area"......not in the city of Asheville itself.

Even then, there has to be some kind of group that does urban assault or something in and around the city of Asheville though.

I am just trying to get a feel or a point of view of the area from a local rider. That's all. Thanks anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I ride bent creek and dupont. Also do some riding out at Tsali, and a few places in between.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1
    I am just trying to get a feel or a point of view of the area from a local rider. That's all. Thanks anyway.
    I kid...there's something like 9 bike shops for 70K+ people in Asheville. You'll love it....some of the best mountain & road cycling in the US.

Funny, before we moved here we looked at OR as well. It came down to Corvallis, OR and Asheville, NC....we made the correct choice.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxunv04
    I ride bent creek and dupont. Also do some riding out at Tsali, and a few places in between.
    Thanks! I heard good things about Bent Creek, is it really a sweet trail. The rest all hands down is awesome. Is there any good trails near Boone?

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    I kid...there's something like 9 bike shops for 70K+ people in Asheville. You'll love it....some of the best mountain & road cycling in the US.

Funny, before we moved here we looked at OR as well. It came down to Corvallis, OR and Asheville, NC....we made the correct choice.
    I kinda figured that. Thanks for the chuckle!

Yeah, it was between Bend, Oregon or Asheville, and we both rather choose the Asheville area as well. I hear such great things about that area. I used to go to Franklin, NC for gem follicking and participating in a few gem shows as well, but never got up that way to the Asheville area. Thanks!

Hows the economy doing up that way BTW?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Tons of trails near boone, go to Sugar for the DH park if you want. Bent Creek is sweet, a lot of trails to accomodate various skill levels. You can ride the same trail over and over(loop style), or link a few trails together for a nice ride. I recommend you stop at Motion Makers or Carolina Fatz on your way to Bent Creek and pick up a trail map of the Creek Experimental Forest, it'll hit you for $10 but it is well worth it.

mtbr member
    OP-

There's definitely some urban assault that happens.

We don't really have any kind of free-ride-esque parks and the nearest official DH runs are in the Boone area. There's stuff that can be shuttled, but a lot of that is what I'll call open-locals knowledge, move here, investigate, you can find.

Regarding trails, though- BC and Dupont are the tips of the iceberg only. One way to think of it is that on a map, they are respectively at the northern/southermost points of our prime riding areas. Sandwiched in between is the rest of Pisgah District. There's well over 100 miles of trail and gated road to ride in addition to the fine riding at BC and Dupont. The most technical riding is in this area- the meat of the sandwich, as it were.

Scroll down through the forums and check out pisgahproductions Pilot Rock vid for a good window into one of our best public descents. You can also laugh at me crashing hard at the end, it's way more spectacular than it looks in the little high speed video.

ChiliPepper1
    Tons of trails near boone, go to Sugar for the DH park if you want. Bent Creek is sweet, a lot of trails to accomodate various skill levels. You can ride the same trail over and over(loop style), or link a few trails together for a nice ride. I recommend you stop at Motion Makers or Carolina Fatz on your way to Bent Creek and pick up a trail map of the Creek Experimental Forest, it'll hit you for $10 but it is well worth it.
    Thank you very much, that was extremely helpful!

How is the Sugar as per DH riding? I am a gravity rider by heart and soul, but do love the AM scene just as much.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Thank you very much, that was extremely helpful!

How is the Sugar as per DH riding? I am a gravity rider by heart and soul, but do love the AM scene just as much.
    Lots of "gravity" riders in the area too. Windrock is only 2 hours away and is some of the most technical, steep, rocky terrain to be found on the east coast.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I am a gravity rider by heart and soul, but do love the AM scene just as much.

Come on Chili. All Mountain means you have to climb
    I know how you gravity / freeriders are about climbing.

pronounced may-duh
    There is a whole lot of climbing here. I see almost no DH / freeride bikes on the trails.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    There is a whole lot of climbing here. I see almost no DH / freeride bikes on the trails.
    If you do see 'em, you can be pretty sure they shuttled it.

Big Mac
    What happened for this to happen??????
    Business was slow.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    If you do see 'em, you can be pretty sure they shuttled it.
    I was at BC the other day and saw a group of guys on FS bikes getting lifted back up the fire road in the back of a pickup truck.
    It cracks me up when people come to the mountains to bike and complain about climbing.

ChiliPepper1
    I was at BC the other day and saw a group of guys on FS bikes getting lifted back up the fire road in the back of a pickup truck.
    It cracks me up when people come to the mountains to bike and complain about climbing.
    I do not have anything against climbing, as long as it is on my lighter trail bike though. My DH and FR sleds are a bit beefy for that, though I still love a challenge even at 41 years of age. I love AM riding just as much as I like to shuttle up and bomb down a mountain or hillside.

CCR......I look forward to hooking up with you either in NC or Virginia. Maybe we can hammer one of those beautiful rocky and gnarly trails you advertised on Singletracks....

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by drkenan
    Lots of "gravity" riders in the area too. Windrock is only 2 hours away and is some of the most technical, steep, rocky terrain to be found on the east coast.
    Oh heck yeah, I love Windrock! Only been there once though, but that place rocks! Well, at least Snowshoe is not too far away as well.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

CCR......I look forward to hooking up with you either in NC or Virginia. Maybe we can hammer one of those beautiful rocky and gnarly trails you advertised on Singletracks....
    Sounds good Chili. Likes them rocks, as long as I'm not falling in em. Yea, let me know if you get up this way.

Hope to get a ride in down your way sometime - would like to get a trip in down to Tampa maybe next April. Would love to ride Santos or maybe one of the trails closer to Tampa.

Just kidding on that climb thing Anybody that rides the stuff you and your son ride, well I only have so much to raze you about.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I do not have anything against climbing, as long as it is on my lighter trail bike though. My DH and FR sleds are a bit beefy for that, though I still love a challenge even at 41 years of age. I love AM riding just as much as I like to shuttle up and bomb down a mountain or hillside.
    Yea, I agree, I was just kidding around. I cant waite to get out to Sugar and ride the DH

XC Champion
    May 2006
    What the heck is there to shuttle at bent creek?

I used to climb my 40+ lb DH bike up to the top of Greenslick twice a week. That's for the turkeys though. So glad I have a trail bike now.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That was my point exactly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bent Creek Shuttles

I have often shuttled groups of newbie teenagers, and my grand kids (6 and 11), in Bent Creek. Park at RP. Load kids and bikes on truck and drive to the Lower Side hill trail head (above the intersection with South Ridge rd.), ride Lower Side hill, Side hill Con.(now closed) across concrete bridge, upper Explorer, lower Pine tree, Homestead and Deer lake con. back to cars. A few of the kids will love it and want to do a "real" ride, and the ones who don't get it won't bum every body else out by refusing to pedal. Yes the "Real Mountain Bikers" you pass driving up the road with a truckload of bikes stare, but we need to do whatever it takes to get kids out on a bike, and this "shuttle" seems to work for me.

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by Clealan
    I have often shuttled groups of newbie teenagers, and my grand kids (6 and 11), in Bent Creek. Park at RP. Load kids and bikes on truck and drive to the Lower Side hill trail head (above the intersection with South Ridge rd.), ride Lower Side hill, Side hill Con.(now closed) across concrete bridge, upper Explorer, lower Pine tree, Homestead and Deer lake con. back to cars. A few of the kids will love it and want to do a "real" ride, and the ones who don't get it won't bum every body else out by refusing to pedal. Yes the "Real Mountain Bikers" you pass driving up the road with a truckload of bikes stare, but we need to do whatever it takes to get kids out on a bike, and this "shuttle" seems to work for me.
    That's awesome and I can totally relate!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    As for the other kind of shuttle runs... Post up on Ridemonkey.com The South forum. More of the gravity guys hang out there than MTBR, they can show you the fun stuff. Keenan, I think I met you one time fighting a hangover by pushing your bike up to Greens Lick. Ahh, I miss the good ole days!

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clealan
    As for the other kind of shuttle runs... Post up on Ridemonkey.com The South forum. More of the gravity guys hang out there than MTBR, they can show you the fun stuff. Keenan, I think I met you one time fighting a hangover by pushing your bike up to Greens Lick. Ahh, I miss the good ole days!
    Ha! That sounds like something I may have done a few years back. It was hard to have a 40lb bike as my do it all ride. But now I've got 2 perfect steeds to share the stable.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    http://www.meetup.com/Asheville-MTB-...calendar/list/
    Feel free to join and come along!

Members who have read this thread: 0