Any MTB in Leicester, NC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Any MTB in Leicester, NC?

Pretty much what the title is asking. I was just wondering if there is any MTB in the Leicester, NC area (besides being 30 mins from Bent Creek area). I just learned that one of my uncles has a small plot of land up there. I have been thinking about going up this spring to check it out. So far non of my recon is showing any luck.... even strava segment search is yielding only road rides.

Thanks for any intel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Depending on which side of Leicester you are one, but Alexander MTB Park is ok-ish during the winter. Too much poison ivy during the summer.

Alexander Mountain Bike Park, Buncombe County, North Carolina

mtbr member
    Leicester is large. Depending on where you are at, Richmond Hill can be pretty close (yes, I'm partial...). Shoot, you can even be close to the Canton watershed trails. Where are you at in Leicester?

The road riding you'd have access to is some the best. I ride from my house over onto the Leicester country roads pretty often and love it. Just avoid during commuter hours, people can be...well, people.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
    Depending on which side of Leicester you are one, but Alexander MTB Park is ok-ish during the winter. Too much poison ivy during the summer.

Alexander Mountain Bike Park, Buncombe County, North Carolina
    Go here ^ That's where I go if I want something closer and quick. It's a nice mtb park. Haven't tried it during summer yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
    Depending on which side of Leicester you are on[/url]
    It looks to be southwest of Leicester.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Be...f712ffeb77d873

I will definitely look into some of these places.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    From what I am seeing on the map, you will be on the Haywood County side of Newfound Gap, so you will be just a few minutes from I-40. This will put you within a 20-30 minute drive to Bent Creek, and about 10 minute drive from the Canton Watershed (Rough Creek). Rough Creek does not get much traffic, so it can be very overgrown during the summer months, but if you ride it during the fall-late spring period it should be fine. If you decide to give Rough Creek a try, post a message to me, and I'll try to meet you, if you like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    From what I am seeing on the map, you will be on the Haywood County side of Newfound Gap, so you will be just a few minutes from I-40. This will put you within a 20-30 minute drive to Bent Creek, and about 10 minute drive from the Canton Watershed (Rough Creek). Rough Creek does not get much traffic, so it can be very overgrown during the summer months, but if you ride it during the fall-late spring period it should be fine. If you decide to give Rough Creek a try, post a message to me, and I'll try to meet you, if you like.
    Thanks for the info & invite. I will definitely PM you when I make it out that way. I currently live in Raleigh & make multiple camping trips to pisgah, Dupont, Bent creek each year. I am excited about potentially riding some new trail... especially less known

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirby258 View Post
    Thanks for the info & invite. I will definitely PM you when I make it out that way. I currently live in Raleigh & make multiple camping trips to pisgah, Dupont, Bent creek each year. I am excited about potentially riding some new trail... especially less known
    The 215 corridor going up to the parkway from Canton offers some of the best hiking opportunities to be had. Also, do not miss the Ivestor-Flat Laurel mtb loop- definitely worth checking out. I think mtbwnc might a route description on his website...here it is. There's actually more to do up there than this route, the out-and-back to the wilderness boundary is very worthwhile. Look at the map.
    Flat Laurel Creek Best Ride

mtbr member
    There's also the Canton watershed property, just over the gap from Sandy Mush. It's something. No idea if the town is open to expanding the singletrack there.

If someone could pull it together with landowners, the ridges on both sides of Newfound Gap would make for the best riding in the area. Good luck getting people to agree to that, though. Such a shame to have such perfect property going unused.