Another Victim of Pisgah- Mtbr.com
    Heads up Flyboy!!

Another Victim of Pisgah

Greetins all,

This weekend I drove to Ducktown, Tennessee to Ride Chillowhee and Tanasi and do some camping with some friends from Atlanta. Well, I got up and drove the 2 and half hours from Asheville and set up camp with my buddies. Then we drove about 10 miles down the road to ride Chillowhee. 5 minutes into the ride I heard a poping sound and my bike sagged forward. At first, I thought my Cane Creek Post had popped and caused the commotion. I got off my bike and witnessed a site no mountain biker ever wants to see. My frame broke, a clean break right behind the head tube gussut on the down tube.
    I told them to go ahead and hiked out of the woods,after we took some trail side pics of the carnage. My only theory is that many hard miles of Pisgah had weakened the frame and that it must of already been cracked when I started out today because of the flatness off the trail we were on. We hadn't gotten to that seven mile downhill on the side of the cliff yet. Then on my way home I got rear ended which only put a little paint on my rear bumper but still, what a way to end it! Anyway, I'm home now getting ready to prep my bike to be warrantied and the new hardtail frame sold so I can get my new Jamis Dakar XLT. The year of the duelie is upon me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Oouch! Glad it didn't snap on a serious DH. On the plus side, you'll probably like full suspension when you get used to it. I still ride my FS like a hardtail sometimes (old habits die slowly), but it's so much more comfy.

Jack

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry to hear about the frame. On a side note, I just bought an XLT myself to go along with the Stinky. So far I'm loving it. Are you going to build or buy one complete?

Heads up Flyboy!!

Bought a XLT 2.0

Hey Guys,

I bought a Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0. 5 inches travel with a minute 2.0 fork and swinger 4 way rear shock. This bike comes stock with the Avid Juicy 7 brakes,XT shifters and derailuers, Mavic X231 rims, Truvativ Holzfeller cranks,Time Atac Aluim pedals,and a Fizk Plateau seat. Not a bad deal for a little over 2 grand. I should have it by the end of this week.

something
    Mar 2004
    Wow, I have never seen a bike frame crack all the way through like that, crazy.

Glad to hear that the good news about the new bike. Sometimes we need a push to upgrade, I guess you got it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Hey Guys,

I bought a Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0. 5 inches travel with a minute 2.0 fork and swinger 4 way rear shock. This bike comes stock with the Avid Juicy 7 brakes,XT shifters and derailuers, Mavic X231 rims, Truvativ Holzfeller cranks,Time Atac Aluim pedals,and a Fizk Plateau seat. Not a bad deal for a little over 2 grand. I should have it by the end of this week.
    Don't know what size you ride, but I know where a 17" is that can be had for $1900. A short drive to Morganton is all that's needed and you can have it today.

Mar 2004
    Here's a pic on trail at Chilhowee.
    Look closely at the down tube. YIKES!

Greetins all,

This weekend I drove to Ducktown, Tennessee to Ride Chillowhee and Tanasi and do some camping with some friends from Atlanta. Well, I got up and drove the 2 and half hours from Asheville and set up camp with my buddies. Then we drove about 10 miles down the road to ride Chillowhee. 5 minutes into the ride I heard a poping sound and my bike sagged forward. At first, I thought my Cane Creek Post had popped and caused the commotion. I got off my bike and witnessed a site no mountain biker ever wants to see. My frame broke, a clean break right behind the head tube gussut on the down tube.
    I told them to go ahead and hiked out of the woods,after we took some trail side pics of the carnage. My only theory is that many hard miles of Pisgah had weakened the frame and that it must of already been cracked when I started out today because of the flatness off the trail we were on. We hadn't gotten to that seven mile downhill on the side of the cliff yet. Then on my way home I got rear ended which only put a little paint on my rear bumper but still, what a way to end it! Anyway, I'm home now getting ready to prep my bike to be warrantied and the new hardtail frame sold so I can get my new Jamis Dakar XLT. The year of the duelie is upon me.
    Last edited by TurnerXCE; 04-05-2004 at 03:05 PM.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerXCE
    Here's a pic on trail at Chilhowee.
    Look closely at the down tube. YIKES!

He looks WAY too happy to have just broken a frame. haha, maybe there was a secret desire for a dually. Seriously though, you will love the FS in pisgah, its soooo much more fun on the crazy DH stuff. I rode bennet gap twice on my temporary HT this winter, and I was sore the next day.

Heads up Flyboy!!

Zen way of life

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulPirate
    He looks WAY too happy to have just broken a frame. haha, maybe there was a secret desire for a dually. Seriously though, you will love the FS in pisgah, its soooo much more fun on the crazy DH stuff. I rode bennet gap twice on my temporary HT this winter, and I was sore the next day.

I could look at it two ways, laugh and smile about it or cry and whine about it. I hate whinning so I just have to laugh it off. Its kinda Ironic that I drove 5 hrs( out and back) and rode for a grand total of 5 minutes! Its usually the other way around as I live just a few miles from the trails in Pisgah!

Jeremy the Mad Goat in Shannara

Mar 2004
    Blame it on the Azalea Trail rock garden...
    Here's a view of Prince Knob and Sugarloaf Mtn.
    See you in Pisgah this week!

I could look at it two ways, laugh and smile about it or cry and whine about it. I hate whinning so I just have to laugh it off. Its kinda Ironic that I drove 5 hrs( out and back) and rode for a grand total of 5 minutes! Its usually the other way around as I live just a few miles from the trails in Pisgah!

Jeremy the Mad Goat in Shannara
    Last edited by TurnerXCE; 04-05-2004 at 08:58 PM.

Heads up Flyboy!!

got a bike for the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerXCE
    Blame it on the Azalea Trail rock garden...
    Here's a view of Prince Knob and Sugarloaf Mtn.
    See you in Pisgah this week!
    I got a loaner for the weekend from the cool guys at Carolina Fatz. My new rig might not be in until next week. The cool thing is Jason, the owner of Fatz is lettin me tear down the Haro frame he is letting me borrow and put a few of my better components on it from my hardtail. The bike he is letting me borrow is a Haro Duelie with four inches travel and Avid mechanical discs. I'm gonna put my fork and drivetrain on it to make it a little more goat efficent.

Jeremy