Another "suggestion" query for WNC Trip- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019

    Another "suggestion" query for WNC Trip

    I'm pretty familiar with Pisgah, been there a few times. I'm going up with a buddy of mine who has never been there, so I want to make sure he gets a good sampling. We arrive around noon on Friday, and leave midday Sunday. He is a solid rider with solid skill-set, but does not have the experience of sustained pisgah climbs, so I want to give him a good sampling, but also not over do it.

    Here is what I am thinking:
    Friday: Arrive at DuPont around 12-1:00. Do the Slickrock (Cedar Rock) twice, so we can come down both decents, hit Burnt, then do that other trail behind Cedar. I think it comes to around 15 miles +/-. (Skipping Bridal Veil falls in lieu of more singletracking...)

    Saturday: I kept Friday and Sunday a little less intense so we could do a hard "Classic Pisgah" ride of about 20 miles on Saturday. I'm thinking Laurel Mt, or something like it. Would do Avery/buckhorn/buckwheat/bennett, but that is closed right now. Black Mt. is too much climbing for the payback, I'd rather show him Laurel, but am open to other suggetions. (Laurel climb is not too bad, it has the switchbacks, the rock garden, the fast downhill, the jumps....)

    Sunday: Kitsuma. No questions about that. Park at the bottom, ride up, ride down, leave the mountains with sheet-eating grin for the ride home.

    So, what do you think about this, keeping in mind that I want to show a good sampling of WNC, keeping it challenging, but not killing anyone. I've thought about replacing Friday with Bent Creek (Park at hard times, up to Betty H. Down Side Hill etc. About 13 mi), and I'm open to other ideas for Saturday, but this should be the "big day".

    Also, what would be an easy to navigate night ride if we need a little more. I'm thinking either caney bottom, or Sycamore Cove. Any comments?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    PS: I really want to keep it in the 10-15 mile, easier range for Friday, and the 15-20 mile range "more difficult terraine" for Saturday.

    So none of the "Jeremy Epics" or "Pink SS Ride's of death" for this trip.

    Thanks....

  3. #3
    When did you get here?!?!
    Reputation: pisgahproductions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,688

    Watch for racers on Saturday!

    60 racers will be starting at the Black Mountain Trailhead at 9:00. They will split up and go all over the forest after that.

    When I first started taking trips to Pisgah I would go to Laurel Mountain. If you two are feeling good afterwards I'd suggest adding on the Slate Rock/Pilot Cove loop. Do you know the Big Creek trail? You'd take Laurel all the way to the parkway, downhill to Little Pisgah Ridge, walk in to the Big Creek sign, and hold on tight! Eventually you'll end up at the Trace Ridge Parking lot.

    If you do go to Bent Creek, watch out! If there is no sign then it may not be legal and they've been giving out $75 tickets for being on non-bike trails. Watch out!

    If you're interested in watching the race start, come on by!

    Eric

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    60 racers will be starting at the Black Mountain Trailhead at 9:00. They will split up and go all over the forest after that.

    When I first started taking trips to Pisgah I would go to Laurel Mountain. If you two are feeling good afterwards I'd suggest adding on the Slate Rock/Pilot Cove loop. Do you know the Big Creek trail? You'd take Laurel all the way to the parkway, downhill to Little Pisgah Ridge, walk in to the Big Creek sign, and hold on tight! Eventually you'll end up at the Trace Ridge Parking lot.

    If you do go to Bent Creek, watch out! If there is no sign then it may not be legal and they've been giving out $75 tickets for being on non-bike trails. Watch out!

    If you're interested in watching the race start, come on by!

    Eric
    We're coming up on 5/21-5/23.... I should have specified, but thanks (!) for the warning.

    I really want to do this event next year, but just don't feel like I have 40-60+ miles of the trails you choose in me *yet*. It is something I really want to work for for 2005, just to finish. (I'll need to bring my lights though )

    Hope you guys have a great race, I enjoyed reading reports and hearing first hand accounts last year!
    Last edited by bmateo; 05-12-2004 at 09:02 AM.

  5. #5
    I like Squishy Bikes
    Reputation: Hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,094

    Bent Creek

    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    If you do go to Bent Creek, watch out! If there is no sign then it may not be legal and they've been giving out $75 tickets for being on non-bike trails. Watch out!
    From what I've been told, ticketing in Bent Creek has been suspended...stay tuned.
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

  6. #6
    Slow Guy
    Reputation: element's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions

    If you do go to Bent Creek, watch out! If there is no sign then it may not be legal and they've been giving out $75 tickets for being on non-bike trails. Watch out!
    According to the catdaddies at Fat Tire Bike Shop the ticketing has been held up until they can get the trails properly marked. I rode there last week and the only signs left are full of bullet holes and are only on one end of the trails.

    Element
    mmm.....dirt

  7. #7
    Slow Guy
    Reputation: element's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by element
    According to the catdaddies at Fat Tire Bike Shop the ticketing has been held up until they can get the trails properly marked. I rode there last week and the only signs left are full of bullet holes and are only on one end of the trails.

    Element

    At Bent Creek, that is...
    mmm.....dirt

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    After discussing the options with my buddy, he really wants to go to Dupont to experience the slick rock, and to see some falls... (He'd love Bent Creek too, so we'll save that for next time).

    Is it possible to get from Cedar Rock to Bridal Vale Falls? I know you can go around on Corn Mill Shulls, which includes the most technical section of Dupont (that is walking across the river ) and I plan to come back that way. I was wondering if it is possible to eliminate back tracking by taking a left at the end of Cedar Rock (17) onto LIttle River (54). It looks like it goes right along the "out of bounds" area, and then hooks up into Bridal Veil (6). If that is possible, then we'd go there that way, and back by the traditional creek-crossing way, but it is not clear from the map if this is possible and/or legal.

    The overall plan is to hit these highlights:
    -Do the slickrock twice so we can come down both sides of cedar rock
    -Burnt Mountain
    -Bridal Veil Falls
    -If time allows, then we go up the trail that runs behind the slickrock, as I remember some fun swithchbacks and whatnot on there.

    Will be a somewhat abreviated ride, as we are coming from RDU area, and wont get there till early afternoon. (The other two days still stand at probably doing Laurel Mt. on Saturday, plus maybe pilot cove/slate rock loop, and then a definite Kitsuma on Sunday on the way out....)

  9. #9
    Official Cooler Inspector
    Reputation: M-U-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,652
    We like taking 57 - first left after the gate across from Cascade Lake PL, for a bit of single track warm up. That will eventually turn into 63. Looking at the current map, I can't pinpoint the exact spot to cut over to the power line. Looks like the dark line just before the number 63. Last time I was there, the Dead End sign was gone. Regardless, it's an obvious junction with a trail dropping off to the right.

    At the power line, go right and when you the crest that hill, you can cut left to the falls for some R&R. When you come back out, take 17 up the rock and down the other side. If you wanted to check out the alternate view - 3 is worth detouring to, but the downhill side isn't as fun.

    It's a big rock. Have fun.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    112

    Slickrock

    Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    I'm pretty familiar with Pisgah, been there a few times. I'm going up with a buddy of mine who has never been there, so I want to make sure he gets a good sampling. We arrive around noon on Friday, and leave midday Sunday. He is a solid rider with solid skill-set, but does not have the experience of sustained pisgah climbs, so I want to give him a good sampling, but also not over do it.

    Here is what I am thinking:
    Friday: Arrive at DuPont around 12-1:00. Do the Slickrock (Cedar Rock) twice, so we can come down both decents, hit Burnt, then do that other trail behind Cedar. I think it comes to around 15 miles +/-. (Skipping Bridal Veil falls in lieu of more singletracking...)

    Saturday: I kept Friday and Sunday a little less intense so we could do a hard "Classic Pisgah" ride of about 20 miles on Saturday. I'm thinking Laurel Mt, or something like it. Would do Avery/buckhorn/buckwheat/bennett, but that is closed right now. Black Mt. is too much climbing for the payback, I'd rather show him Laurel, but am open to other suggetions. (Laurel climb is not too bad, it has the switchbacks, the rock garden, the fast downhill, the jumps....)

    Sunday: Kitsuma. No questions about that. Park at the bottom, ride up, ride down, leave the mountains with sheet-eating grin for the ride home.

    So, what do you think about this, keeping in mind that I want to show a good sampling of WNC, keeping it challenging, but not killing anyone. I've thought about replacing Friday with Bent Creek (Park at hard times, up to Betty H. Down Side Hill etc. About 13 mi), and I'm open to other ideas for Saturday, but this should be the "big day".

    Also, what would be an easy to navigate night ride if we need a little more. I'm thinking either caney bottom, or Sycamore Cove. Any comments?
    We're heading out for our first NC mtbing trip on 5/18. Really want to sample the Slickrock in DuPont along with the Pisgah death climbs of course. It sounds like Cedar Rock is the trail to hit in DuPont to get the Slickrock?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Psycho Banshee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    87

    Dupont

    Quote Originally Posted by bacolmm
    We're heading out for our first NC mtbing trip on 5/18. Really want to sample the Slickrock in DuPont along with the Pisgah death climbs of course. It sounds like Cedar Rock is the trail to hit in DuPont to get the Slickrock?
    Yes, that is the trail with the slickrock downhill.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtnbiker1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Banshee
    Yes, that is the trail with the slickrock downhill.
    I gotta admit, that is a fun down

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:31 PM
  2. Road trip bike storage/tanspo help..
    By embeck in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 11:25 AM
  3. Post-graduation/pre-job trip - advice?
    By Cabin Fever in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 10:36 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.