Another Pisgah route question- Mtbr.com
    It's not what you think.

Another Pisgah route question

I've been riding the Ranger District since about 91-92 and have covered a majority of it. I learned a lot of really good routes when folks like Eric, Erinna, Dickey, et al used to post their race details on here but then came along blogs.... and away went the detailed race reports. It may be geeky but I used to follow their routes with my trusty 780 and make notes from the discriptions; more times than not, even on a new-to-me trail I knew what to expect before a nobbie ever hit dirt.

My friends and I come up twice a year; after the seasonals open and again before they close, for 4 days of riding and have found DRCG a good home base. With that being said, I still rely on local knowledge for the goods, I still have some big rides in mind but no matter how I angle the magnifying glass, I can't tell if some sections are are all up or all down or if the downfall is clear or the briars have overgrown.

And to my request, those with the knowledge feel free to chime in, I would really appreciate it... like the 411 I recevied here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=376591 , ya'll are the best!

So I was thinking about parking at Yellow Gap then:

Option 1. Laurel Mtn> Pilot Rock> 1206> 476> S.Mills> Buckhorn> 5057> Avery> 477> DRGC> Beer. Question? Is 5057 passable to Avery mid Oct? Did last winters downfall affect it?

Option 2. at Buckhorn take Black Mtn over and down> DRCG> Beer.

Whatcha think?
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

pronounced may-duh
    So how do you get the car? Does the next day's ride end at yellow gap? Cause I've thought of a 2 day anti-shuttle route. What a crazy idea.

I have not ridden 5057 in a long time but I'm gonna guess it's fine. Seams like the down fall was above that elevation. However I prefer taking black mtn to Avery. Black has great single track and the top most portion of Avery is gnarly fun. You'd miss out on upper Avery if you take 5057.

It's not what you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    So how do you get the car? Does the next day's ride end at yellow gap? Cause I've thought of a 2 day anti-shuttle route. What a crazy idea.
    I'm anti-shuttle too but, I am more anti riding back up to yellow gap We would have to go retreive the car later the same day. DuPont will follow the next day anyway.

However I prefer taking black mtn to Avery. Black has great single track and the top most portion of Avery is gnarly fun. You'd miss out on upper Avery if you take 5057.
    Good point, the only reason I ride Avery is for the top section....Hmmmm, Buckhorn> Avery>5057>Black... might be a little much.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by AlloyNipples
    Buckhorn> Avery>5057>Black
    This part has me confused.

mtbr member
    This part has me confused.
    me too. What I would do, is at the top of Buckhorn, assess my level of enthusiasm. If high, i'd go over Black Mtn, down Avery, 477 to beer. If lower, i'd go down Clawhammer to Buckhorn and then do lower Avery to 477. If it's already cratered, Clawhammer all the way down.

It's not what you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    me too. What I would do, is at the top of Buckhorn, assess my level of enthusiasm. If high, i'd go over Black Mtn, down Avery, 477 to beer. If lower, i'd go down Clawhammer to Buckhorn and then do lower Avery to 477. If it's already cratered, Clawhammer all the way down.
    Again, very good points, buckhorn @ black mtn would certainly be a point of reflection. In the ride I linked, 1/2 of the group headed down clawhammer, a few went over black and I went over buckhorn and down bennet.

My bad, I meant to say buckwheat, not buckhorn; sorry for the confusion. At buckhorn/clawhammer/black intersection I was thinking about going up buckwheat, down avery then left on 5057 back up and then up & over black. I just don't know if that's too much for me and few of the straglers, shirly the others will opt for clawhammer at the first go-round.

From the 476 side, how is S. Mills to Buckhorn Gap trail inters? I've come from the squirrell gap side to BG trail. It's a nice cruise from there to the gap proper.
    Last edited by AlloyNipples; 08-11-2010 at 03:11 PM.

drunken pirate
    Taking 5057 as you describe might not be that bad of an idea. You would get the best part of the Avery Creek downhill and then the climb back up to Black wouldn't be too bad. The more fun option would be to drop Avery all the way to Buckhorn Gap, take a left and climb Buckhorn back up to Clawhammer and finally the top of Black. The Top of Black should not be missed. Tell the stragglers it is the only way

Buckhorn Gap is great between South Mills River and Clawhammer. Wide open fast climbing!
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    If during the seasonal season, you can take Pink Beds>276>477>Club Gap>Avery>etc.

5057 is probably pretty thorny about now. I don't think it sees enough traffic to have gotten any attention. And it looks like the whole road is higher than Pressley gap, so it could have damage. Now I'm curious...

mtbr member
    I just got back from Claw/Black/Avery and it's a jungle out there Long sections of Black are completely obscured by encroaching briars and stinging nettle. It's still totally rideable, you just can't see the trail very well. I was amazed at how much water has gone down the trail (Both Black and Avery) in the last few weeks - there are significantly different lines compared to the last time I rode it in early July.

5057 is easier to navigate from Avery to Clawhammer, but I think it will be thick with briars and overgrowth. There may not be any (or few) downed trees as it is right below the elevation where the damage occurred. If I head down Avery again I'll hang a left and scout it for a bit. It is actually more uphill from Avery to Clawhammer.

The climb up Buckhorn to Clawhammer has some hike-a-bike. It's a good way to go though if you want more trail and less road.
    many gears, some pies

Big Mac
    The last time I as on 5057 (6-7 wks. ago!) the storm damage wasn't that bad. There was some, but it wasn't too bad. I suspect the thorns are brutal about now.

mtbr member
    ditto. we rode that Saturday and I still have scratches all over me. I have NEVER seen Black Mountain overgrown like that...it was like an entirely different trail. Does nobody ride anymore??

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    in my experience 5057 blows when compared to dropping down the top of black to buckhorn gap, add in the top of avery and i'd walk my bike up black if i had anything left in me...
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Turkey Pen?

What about Turkey Pen? Late into the spring people were talking about avoiding it b/c of storm damage. Is it still rough going or fairly clear by now?

It's not what you think.
    Thanks for the info folks, hopefully the briars will have died back by mid Oct.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by bikinghawk1
    What about Turkey Pen? Late into the spring people were talking about avoiding it b/c of storm damage. Is it still rough going or fairly clear by now?
    Turkey Pen Gap is in bad shape from Black to Muleshoe Gap. Lots of limbs and crowns down. I spent a little time and cleared a few stretches but most riders have just been going around which is making it worse. I hope to get up there with a saw soon.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Is the bottom of Black open, or do they have it closed for work?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm
    Is the bottom of Black open, or do they have it closed for work?
    It was closed a couple of days ago

Members who have read this thread: 1