Another ORAMM memoir- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Another ORAMM memoir

mtbr member
    7:39 is a fantastic time. Great job.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Its got what plants crave
    That just doesn't sound like a good time to me.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member

Life after ORAMM (if you can call it that)

It has been several weeks since my life was permanently scarred by my participation in ORAMM 2010. As my close friends know, I have yet to talk about the ordeal in great detail with anyone but my therapist. I never before thought I would be the type to go the a shrink, but with post ride night terrors, and a recurring nightmare of being chained to my bike in an endless series of endos and crashes always landing back on the wheels and a steeper pitch of downhill, only to repeat until I was free-falling through the air, landing flat, breaking every bone in my body, only to have to climb for weeks while my bones heal, only to keep repeating; I knew I needed some help.

My first session with Dr. Bawlzak, Harry as I would latter come to call him, tried a form of hypno-regression that put me into a semi-hypnotized state as he walked me through the event and recorded my comments. The thought is that if I learn to deal with my repressed feelings of fear, inadequacy and agony, I may one day ride again and enjoy mountain biking as I once did. The transcript is listed below, sometimes a sentence, a phrase, or a single word. My hope is that by retyping and sharing this, It may speed my recovery.
    We are rolling to the starting line.
    Excitement…..
    Apprehension…..
    Waiting, waiting, waiting, are we ever gonna start?
    Finally, we’re off……
    Climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing………
    Still climbing, making up some time, gaining a few positions…..
    No warm up, this is brutal, losing ground…
    Fear……burning…..despair…..
    We’ve been climbing forever it seems….
    Finally, the start of the Kitsuma climb.
    Climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing………
    Hike-a-bike, hike-a-bike, hike-a-bike, hike-a-bike, hike-a-bike, hike-a-bike, hike-a-bike, too much traffic..
    Climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, climbing, , climbing, climbing, climbing………
    Pain…
    Agony….
    Terror…..
    Bodies everywhere……
    How did he get down there? I wonder if he’s OK….. Too weak to help, must go on……
    Terror….Crawl deep inside my psyche, maybe they won’t find me…….. Deeper, deeper……
    Auschwitz, purgatory, Bataan Death March, no more, no more…. Please
    You only have to roll off the side of the mountain, Mark….. DOOOOoooooo it! It will all be over…..
    Descending, bodies everywhere, the carnage, oh, the carnage, terror, terror, roll off the side.
    Survived.
    Please make it stop, I promise I will never ride again!
    Sirens, are they for me, did someone recognize…. Dead Man pedaling.
    Someone else got the ambulance, lucky bastard……
    Heli-vac hovering just over the ridge……. another one with better fortune.
    Eyes sinking into skull, it’s like I’m looking through binoculars…….
    What day is it???????
    I can’t go on, How do I quit?
    Finally, yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
    Rest stop 1, 15 miles of 63 down.
    After that, the transcript of the remainder of the day is, well, unintelligible….. Primordial screams, grunts, moans, and hysterical laughing. I don’t know how I survived or what happened over the remainder of the 11 hours, 22 minutes, and 12 seconds of indescribable misery…..
    Maybe with time, I will never need to know…
    Any takers for next year?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    you asked about the other 124? I was one of those, I went back out last Tuesday and rode the entire course in 8hrs 24 mins!! It felt good to finish/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    you asked about the other 124? I was one of those, I went back out last Tuesday and rode the entire course in 8hrs 24 mins!! It felt good to finish/
    So the training plan didn't actually kick in until 2 weeks after the race. Maybe a little earlier start might've helped. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr4000
    So the training plan didn't actually kick in until 2 weeks after the race. Maybe a little earlier start might've helped. Just a thought.
    I'm not perfect, just forgiven....

Members who have read this thread: 0