Another Enduro in Pisgah- Mtbr.com
    Robertson

Another Enduro in Pisgah

Not affiliated with them, just friends with the organizer, but thought I'd post this up in case anyone is interested of doing another Enduro race in Pisgah:

https://www.facebook.com/events/304960089872780/

And for those not on facebook: Brevard Enduro Presented by Terrapin Beer Company |

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Course is posted. Who's in?

Stg1: Top of Black through Avery dh
    Stg2: Upper Black to Pressley Gap
    Stg3: Hickory knob straight on down through Lower Black

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    $75? Not to be a jerk, but I was actually going to ride Avery Creek Saturday before I heard about this race. For free. Now I guess I'll have to ride it another day, after the addition of more braking bumps and deeper ruts. Thanks!

mtbr member
    At this point, riders are not affecting really affecting the massive erosion on those trails. They might be widening the tread d/t need for the less skilled/ more sane to take paths outside of the gullies, but water is doing 1,000,000 times more damage than any rider. If you're ever out during a rainstorm, you can literally see the erosion happening...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The last thing Pisgah, and these trails in particular, need is yet another mountain bike race.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    At this point, riders are not affecting really affecting the massive erosion on those trails.
    Mike Brown with the true true.

And as if the increase in racers/races is anything close to the real increase of actual forest users. Brevard be booming, y'all.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I used to think the same thing Punker, that more people was a bad thing. I have changed my perspective though. The rougher the better until you reach "blown out." The more people the better because that is what gets us more funding and attention from outside resources. Until you vote the people not funding the things you want out, then this is what we got.

I think what really needs to happen is we pile up as many rocks as we can get and just dump them in the trail. These rocks should come from the woods right off the trail, and not be piled up in some man made rock garden fashion, but just dump them and ride them in place. Think Southern Rocks in Windrock but nine times longer. That would fill some of those holes that are just dangerous for some folks, control some sediment erosion and make the trail harder. Harder = more fun. Right?

If 100 people showed up for a work day and we all scoured for rocks off trail and piled them up in the spots that need it the trail would be that much better. We don't need waterbars or grade reversals, we need rocks, big eff you rocks right where momentum is taking you to up the pucker factor.

And actually, this place does need more mountain bike races. Both Sycamore and The Hub employ a dozen or so people who all make enough money to live here and have the toys that make this place fun. That culture is what is reinventing Brevard. I felt differently in the past, but big picture, more events is better I think.

As far as braking bumps and ruts that will appear after races, fill them with rocks I say. You can't rut out rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by park baker View Post
    Think Southern Rocks in Windrock but nine times longer.
    I completely agree with your viewpoint, however Southern Rocks and all the hand built trails by the OG crew at Windrock and WRXC were actually very carefully planned and built. Southern Rocks was built with come-alongs lifting the huge rocks into place and then backfilling with soil and smaller rock to raise the trailbed and create a ridable surface. The stuff being built at WRXC is very much the same but on a smaller scale. Nothing survives brake-dragging and water like rock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    pay to ride my bike? no. hellz no. not ever. eff racing.

@mountainbiker24 - ride it anyway.

rutted, blown out trails, from increased traffic and races, monsoons, etc? great. holes/ruts too deep to actually plow your bike through? high line go arounds will eventually either bed in or attempts to create them will kick enough dirt back into the ruts/holes and fill them in. or dump a few *eastcoastrox and some magic dirt in there and enjoy. i suspect the trails that this is happening on aren't the ones beginners are riding anyway. isn't that what dupont is for?

i've seen enough changes, both for worse and then back for better, at various trails at wilsons over the years to know that it all evens out over time. without substantial trailwork. (and yes i put in my hours at our local trails).

if pisgah proper is going for the all-inclusive, lower black flow vibe to get the masses stoked on mountain biking, then by all means, go for it. that's cool. if you want to make the average rider visiting from ohio and pumping $ into your local economy cry in his dale's at the end of the day and not come back, then go ahead and southern roxify it! they don't often go up to farlow's "suuuuuuper gnarrrr BOULDER FIELD(tm)" anyway, do they?

sorry. i might be drunk. carry on with your goggles, fanny packs, and timing chips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    high line go arounds will eventually either bed in or attempts to create them will kick enough dirt back into the ruts/holes and fill them in. or dump a few *eastcoastrox and some magic dirt in there and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You see how that worked out on Jim Branch,225 tons of rock in the first 200 feet,aaand now it has been rerouted.Harness the gnarness and don't wreck the tech,and for heaven's sake DON'T Dupont Pisgah

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Enduro today was awesome. Kudos to 3rd Coast. Great event. Permit app is already in the works for next year again. Let's race some bikes!!!!

What a bear of a course! And crazy winds. Another Pisgah adventure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smells Like Fish View Post
    You see how that worked out on Jim Branch,225 tons of rock in the first 200 feet,aaand now it has been rerouted.Harness the gnarness and don't wreck the tech,and for heaven's sake DON'T Dupont Pisgah
    You do know Jim Branch is a multi use trail right? A ride around section was added because the horse groups absolutely hate rock armored sections but more importantly have tremendous influence in DuPont and rallied to get that reroute added.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes Greg,I know that,because I did the rock workwith Woody and quite a few others.My point is that whether it's rocks on lower black,or wooden corduroy on cove creek,the majority of users want a go around.And how can horses get skilled enough to ride Big Rock and Burnt mt. if they don't have other trails to provide "progression"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smells Like Fish View Post
    Yes Greg,I know that,because I did the rock workwith Woody and quite a few others.My point is that whether it's rocks on lower black,or wooden corduroy on cove creek,the majority of users want a go around.And how can horses get skilled enough to ride Big Rock and Burnt mt. if they don't have other trails to provide "progression"?

Right on! Definitely won't argue with that! When I heard a reroute was being added to skirt that rock work I found the most sturdy brick wall in my house and started banging my head against it. I can also relate to what you are saying about so many users(horse and bikes)making easier lines they can't ride it but that can be a whole other tread.

Regardless sounds like the enduro was a blast and I can't wait to see some action shots on Upper Black. Did riders charge the gnar line down the middle or skirt the ditch by using the high lines?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter View Post
    You do know Jim Branch is a multi use trail right? A ride around section was added because the horse groups absolutely hate rock armored sections but more importantly have tremendous influence in DuPont and rallied to get that reroute added.
    Is that rock section gone entirely or is the smooth path the only way now? Or are they referring to that section on the left after you cross a few rocks (that was there a while ago?).

Robertson
    Right on! Definitely won't argue with that! When I heard a reroute was being added to skirt that rock work I found the most sturdy brick wall in my house and started banging my head against it. I can also relate to what you are saying about so many users(horse and bikes)making easier lines they can't ride it but that can be a whole other tread.

Regardless sounds like the enduro was a blast and I can't wait to see some action shots on Upper Black. Did riders charge the gnar line down the middle or skirt the ditch by using the high lines?
    I was about 50/50 on high line and taking the middle, but I got passed by one of the local guys on Upper Black and he was sending everything at mach chicken. Pretty cool to see!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    Is that rock section gone entirely or is the smooth path the only way now? Or are they referring to that section on the left after you cross a few rocks (that was there a while ago?).
    It's still there. It's the very beginning of the south end of the trail.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I guess my real point is that,as great as Park's idea of armoring Black is,There aren't enough rocks in Pisgah to fill that rut.