Alternate Heartbreak Loop- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Alternate Heartbreak Loop

Its hard to tell from looking at my maps, so I'm soliciting local knowledge. Is there an alternate route to Heartbreak other than Curtis Creek? From previous threads, it looks like the Curtis Creek route is about 30 miles. It it possible to ride out of Kitsuma lot and link up to Montreat trails/ Old toll road to get at Heartbreak from the other side? That loop looks to be about 20-21 miles.

drunken pirate
    Yes
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

banned
    you have to go up through ridgecrest to get to rattlesnake but that is private property and they may not let you through the gate. Then again, they might.

mtbr member

The shorter loop..

The 20 mile loop is more difficult than the Curtis Creek loop....yep

mtbr member
    I did a loop 2 summers ago from Black Mountain. We went up some godawful steep gravel road that eventually turned into a double-track with tons of baby heads. This goes up through some private land and some old trailers where guys hang out to hunt bear. I wasn't leading the ride, so I don't even know if I could find it again, but the bike shop in BM could probably give you directions.

After coming down HR, we had to turn right and climb back up the gravel road towards Kitsuma and then take the paved frontage road back to BM. This was about 30 miles.

banned
    The godawful steep gravel road leads up from montreat college and you turn into Rainbow trailhead to climb up to the beginning of the toll road. It was the toll road that took you by the bear camp. Make sure that you NEVER ride up that way from Oct.1st to Jan 1st. If you do, you not only jeopardize our ability to go up that way but you might just get into more than you bargained for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ride it with someone that knows where they are going.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah, all these rednecks up here think they are real clever.....

takes a real man to hunt an animal thats instinct is to run from the slightest threat.

banned
    themz sum perty ruff lookin fellerz up ther Wes. Plus they don't do the huntin, they just wait on the dogs to tree the bear and go shoot it out of the tree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ethics aside. they own the land or at least, the lease to the land and allow us to ride on it for a large part of the year. Let's not mess that up.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i know better than to mess things up.... dont worry.

im just bitter due to a land dispute got into the other day. i had a man come into MY yard and told me that the land was actually his. only in buncombe county.

yes ive seen a bear hunt... its discusting. thats all i ment by that.

banned
    Wes, sorry I didn't take you up there yesterday. I got hung up doing stuff with the wife. Maybe this coming sunday? If you can make it sunday, I will try and get a group together.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah, no big deal. figured you were resting after the race. sundays great.

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew
    ethics aside. they own the land or at least, the lease to the land and allow us to ride on it for a large part of the year. Let's not mess that up.

+1

that is all
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    you have to go up through ridgecrest to get to rattlesnake but that is private property and they may not let you through the gate. Then again, they might.
    I rode right up to the gate last summer, and the guys were even nice enough to give me a map of the trails. It's a bit of a slog over the ridge, but better than riding on the road.

I've got scans of the Montreat and Ridgecrest trail maps if anyone really needs them. Not sure if it's cool to post them.

Two options through Ridgecrest- Rattlesnake or the Adventure trail. Rattlesnake is steep- I rode it once coming back from a loop of Kitsuma, and again coming back after Heartbreak Ridge. Adventure Trail is apparently not as steep. And if you're in Montreat, you can ride either Rainbow Road or Appalachian Way. Even the pavement up Appalachian Way is ridiculously steep. Rainbow Road, starting from the Lookout mountain hiking trailhead, is a much nicer route.
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Thanks

Appreciate the info.....see you on the trails (except during bear hunting season) I'll solicit a local sherpa to show me the way next time I'm in town for a ride.

-G-
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

the out-and-back

You can always do the Heartbreak out-and-back. It's a real heartbreaker in that climbing up Heartbreak is sure to raise your heart rate to rarely seen levels.

I've only done it once. I had just moved to the area and had been taking the dogs on early morning rides up Jarrett and I kept seeing a trail offshoot near the end of Jarrett. One day I decided to see where that went. Much to my dismay, it went uphill the whole way. At some point I just turned it around and gave up. On that day, I was on a rigid singlespeed with sub-optimal gearing, and my heartrate and sore leg muscles reflected it. Since then, I've learned the "correct" way to enjoy Heartbreak...for me, that is via CCR.

On the plus side, the Heartbreak out-and-back is a great workout with a great downhill to follow.

Geoff

Members who have read this thread: 0