Alexander Mtn Bike Park...building- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Alexander Mtn Bike Park...building

I searched on this forum and read a bit but couldn't find an answer. I want to go over and see if the terrain might warrant putting together some freeride/downhill trails. Are there any legal problems with building drops/jumps/etc over there? Who should I talk to to try and approve it?

I've got the time and resources to build and would love to see a local FR area (even if small...).

Also, is there any talk of freeride structures or DH trails at Richmond Hill?
    Last edited by Lithified; 03-24-2009 at 09:04 PM.

spec4life???..smh...
    Im pretty sure there is a SORBA chapter for the sole purpose of establishing FR trails.

might want to contact them...

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cmscheip
    Are there any legal problems with building drops/jumps/etc over there?
    In a word...YES!

Who should I talk to to try and approve it?
    It's a big process, but you should start with your local mountain bike advocasy group, Pisgah Area SORBA. The next meeting is the second monday of April at 7:00 at Beef O'Brady's next to Diamond Brand in Arden. You should come preped to talk about it.

I've got the time and resources to build and would love to see a local FR area (even if small...).
    That's a great start and I think there are several others in the area who would like the same thing. We've talked about it at meetings in the past, but no one has really stepped up to spearhead the effort and run with it.

That's Special
    Hey there. I have another question in regards to this. I was out there about two weeks ago and came across a downed tree laying on the trail. It was too large for me to move by hand, but the chainsaw in my truck would have made quick work of it. After my ride was finished, I thought about walking back there and cutting it up but decided not to until I asked someone about it.

So, here I go. If I am on a trail and I see something like this, can I remove it from the trail without talking to a bunch of committees?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i think its buncombe county land. call the parks&recreation dudes. should be a matter of putting a work order in, tax payer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I went for the first time today to Alexander Park, but at sunset so didn't ride too far. I see at
    http://www.mtbikewnc.com/trailheads/alexander.html and a map you can find online that there is a dual slalom course and jumps and talk of " a skills area/freeride area. A $1,000 Kona/IMBA Freeride grant" and such. Is any of this really there? Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0