Alexander Mountain Bike Park, Asheville- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

Alexander Mountain Bike Park, Asheville

Anybody ever ride out there, is it any decent? I heard it has a dual slalom course. Worth the drive out there?

Official Cooler Inspector
    EDIT - Posted response in wrong place.

Since I'm here... for me, the answer is "no".

Sep 2005
    No not Bent Creek, I ride there all the time and yes it a excellent place to go for a nice bike ride. Alexander Mountain Bike Park is what I am referring to, go to Google and type it in, click the link and you'll see the PDF of the map. I was wanting to know if anyone has riden Alexander Mountain Bike Park because I was wanting to check it out.

mtbr member
    I was there to check it out last week when in Asheville. Seems no one rides it since better stuff is so close by. It was very overgrown in areas. Never saw any jumps or DS courses. Don't even bother!

Big Mac

yes and no!

Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Anybody ever ride out there, is it any decent? I heard it has a dual slalom course. Worth the drive out there?
    Yes it has a dual slalom course and no, as M.U.M. said, it's not worth the effort, in my opinion. Go ride it and see for yourself. Who knows maybe you'll like it.

BGR / MCM #311
    I rode it two summers ago...would be good for locals who are just a few miles away and don't have time to head south(ish) to Pisgah, BC, DP, etc....

The DS course was a complete MESS the day I was there....trail was total fall line, rain had cut HUGE ruts in the banks and jumps. Unless it is/was rebuilt with a little more concern for erosion, it's probably completely worthless by now.

The XC trails were actually nice...I enjoyed my ride....certain areas were overgrown, and I had hard time knowing my location on the map due to some fresh road construction up near the top and the fact that someone destroyed some of the beautiful trail markers...and I do mean NICE trailmarkers!!! But...I rode it because I was 2 minutes away and wanted to catch one last quick ride before heading back to the flat lands....
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

mtbr member
    This trail is NOT worth the trip yet. In the future, however, it is planned to be developed into a great riding area with potentially a technical training area and more singletrack. There's some money out there for this purpose and (hopefully) we should be seeing this development in the future. Mike

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    This trail is NOT worth the trip yet. In the future, however, it is planned to be developed into a great riding area with potentially a technical training area and more singletrack. There's some money out there for this purpose and (hopefully) we should be seeing this development in the future. Mike

In the latest IMBA newsletter they have it listed as an IMBA supported free-ride park.

we were out there for a race a few years back (spectators), and the yellow jackets were horrible. mean/agressive and everywhere... could've been that time of the year to.

mtbr member
    I think that's what's still being developed. It's been scouted and marked, just needs the labor. I doing this all by best recollection and second hand info, so hopefully I've got it right. Mike

Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info, I'll wait and check it out when I see updates on the web or at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    any updates on the area?

mtbr member
    I did a race there about 10 years ago and my only memory of the place is getting stung in the lip by a yellow jacket while trying to drink a soda after the race, For once, I did not come in last in the race, as one other guy had a mechanical. So I was next to last
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Official Cooler Inspector
    WOW! Someone actually used the "search" function!!! Dude, that is some deep diving.

There are several area resources for Alexander, and I am defiantly not one of them. Any updates from locals? You may also be interested in the Richmond Hill trail project.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

pronounced may-duh
    Alexander has a long and sorted history. But the end result is some fun XC single track trails. There is no freeride park but there are 2 well marked and well maintained XC loops at Alexander. Todd Branham (Long Cane Trails) was the pro trail builder who got the contract portion of the work under the grant. The volunteer portion of the grant was mostly done by Blue Ridge Bicycle Club and the Western NC Bike Dealers Association (Namely Craig Friedrich at Ski Country Sports) . A tiny bit was done by Pisgah Area SORBA. The finished work was obviously a group effort so there may be some people I'm leaving out (sorry).

Go ride Alexander. The trails are well designed and lotsa fun. Some of the better sections flow kinda like a giant pump track. In the good rhythm sections you can keep your speed and rock and roll thru the ups and downs. As part of the mtn sports fest the dike dealers have a demo ride at Alexander. Demos are tons of fun

mtbr member
    maida said dike dealers.
    hehheh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Seems like the place got a lot of action 5-10 years ago. But I've not seen any comments on it lately.

pronounced may-duh
    maida said dike dealers.
    hehheh.
    Pimping aint easy! Especially in Asheville

mtbr member
    maida said dike dealers.
    hehheh.

And "sorted history." Did you mean "sordid history"or are you sampling too much home brew

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks Maida7, I'll go check it out.
    and as far as dike dealers. I sell em too. 2 for a dollar, 3 if you holler!

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    I think it's one of Asheville's best kept secrets. Love riding out there two great loops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

avlash

Anyone been out to the Alexander Bike Park lately?

I'm looking for a place close to home for a morning quickie. Is it decent, or has Deliverance moved in? or anywhere else in the Weaverville area?
    AVLAsh

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.

mtbr member
    I think there is going to be some sort of race out there through ABRC this year? Has the poison ivy gotten any better? That was the main thing that kept me away several years ago... I'll have to check it out again.

Aug 2008
    Rode there yesterday. Did the loop that goes across the road and up the pine tree ridge line Got a little scratched up from pricker bushes but the poison ivy didn't seem that bad. Trail tread is in great shape, now downed trees or anything.
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Me and a co-worker of mine typically ride it once or twice a week after work, simply because it's so close by. It has become over-grown in most places (due to lack of use), but if you're local and want a workout, it's perfect for that.

One warning...be aware of your surroundings and be alert as to what you may find around the next blind turn. About a month ago, my buddy and I were doing our morning workout (around 8:30 a.m.). As I blasted down the last part of the course, headed back towards the parking lot...I came around a blind turn only to find 2, ummmm...."alternative lifestyle" practitioners....Ummmm...taking part in ummm....oral pleasure. I let out an involuntary "oh $H!t" as I see one of the guys lift his mouth off the other guys....ummm...unit. I literally almost fell off my bike.

There are some things you're just prepared to see in the middle of the woods at 8:30 in the morning. But despite the native 'wild life' it's a nice little trail to work out on.

Aug 2008
    LOL don't tell my mother she's worries about me riding by myself all the time. I do admit Alexander creeps me out solo more than any place I've ridden.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I rode there a few days ago, and it wasn't too bad. If you live or stay north of asheville its the best close place to sneak in a ride after school or work. The slaloam course was in pretty good shape when i was there but i'm sure it'll be a wreck by january. did get a kinda sketchy vibe tho.

fun place thats less crowded than bent creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post
    Me and a co-worker of mine typically ride it once or twice a week after work, simply because it's so close by. It has become over-grown in most places (due to lack of use), but if you're local and want a workout, it's perfect for that.

One warning...be aware of your surroundings and be alert as to what you may find around the next blind turn. About a month ago, my buddy and I were doing our morning workout (around 8:30 a.m.). As I blasted down the last part of the course, headed back towards the parking lot...I came around a blind turn only to find 2, ummmm...."alternative lifestyle" practitioners....Ummmm...taking part in ummm....oral pleasure. I let out an involuntary "oh $H!t" as I see one of the guys lift his mouth off the other guys....ummm...unit. I literally almost fell off my bike.

There are some things you're just prepared to see in the middle of the woods at 8:30 in the morning. But despite the native 'wild life' it's a nice little trail to work out on.

Too many umms! Sounds like a great place to avoid!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Maybe it was because I was expecting the worst, but I had a great ride there yesterday and would definitely recommend it. Especially with pressure increasing on other trail systems due to over-use. Here's an over-blown report with photos.

Big Mac
    Nice. Looks much different now. It's been several years since I've ridden there. Yes, we are spoiled. Either that or you're a great photographer and you have the ability to polish a turd! Either way, nice job.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Nice. Looks much different now. It's been several years since I've ridden there. Yes, we are spoiled. Either that or you're a great photographer and you have the ability to polish a turd! Either way, nice job.
    Heh...yeah, the pics are of the nicer parts, for sure. I'm not saying there's *no* mud holes, multiflora rose thickets or poison ivy beds to deal with But what you see in the pics is out there...only way to find out is to go ride it!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Anyone been out there lately? How's it now?

Rogue Exterminator
    Name:  batmanrobin2.jpg
Views: 3897
Size:  25.4 KB
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Zombie thread back from the dead!

Never been out there but the pictures look pretty fun.

Not technical but a good place to ride a cross bike maybe? Not that anyone should ever ride a cross bike. ever...
    On your left!

Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Zombie thread back from the dead!

Never been out there but the pictures look pretty fun.

Not technical but a good place to ride a cross bike maybe? Not that anyone should ever ride a cross bike. ever...
    I'm gonna go and try it out on a warm day soon.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    I'm gonna go and try it out on a warm day soon.
    Just make sure you don't go out there at night. Bears, ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Just make sure you don't go out there at night. Bears, ya know.
    I know! Don't need an encounter with them. We've got a couple in the neighborhood as well.

So, I visited the park tonight. The sign says Alexander River Park. According to Buncombe Country website, that is its name now.

Anyways, the trails looked good. Took the left loop and was impressed. It's steep going up, but fun coming down. Some tight turns though. Don't fall off the cliff!!! Got a flat tire back at the parking lot. Going back there tomorrow. Anyone wanna come?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I live across the river and ride it weekly in the winter. It's about a 7 mile loop and fun in both directions. No good in the summer though.

You can ride a cross bike anywhere, but I would say you'd want a mountain bike at alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    I live across the river and ride it weekly in the winter. It's about a 7 mile loop and fun in both directions. No good in the summer though.

You can ride a cross bike anywhere, but I would say you'd want a mountain bike at alexander.
    What's with it in the summer? Don't people ride it to keep it sharp?

mtbr member
    Poison ivy, bad.

Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L. View Post
    Poison ivy, bad.
    No thanks! Ishhh....

Rogue Exterminator
    If people would ride it more, it would get knocked back.
    Last year, I couldn't ride Green River Game Lands without getting the stuff. This year, I didn't get it all riding out there. Since they allowed bikes on there, it got knocked back a bit.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

It seems ok now. Let's keep on riding it and keep it clean. Maybe we'll beat summer to it.

Did anyone of you guys ride the Alexander Park today? Saw 3 guys there as I was leaving today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was there yesterday evening. I was with my dog and one other.

Quote Originally Posted by rzio View Post
    I was there yesterday evening. I was with my dog and one other.
    Yeah, I believe that was you guys. I was coming down when you 2 were going up.

Big Mac

Serendipity!

Anyone been there lately? How's it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A little over a week ago. It's in good shape.

mtbr member
    The one and only time I ride there was at a race about 15 years ago. I was drinking a coke after the race and got stung on the lip by a yellow jacket that had landed on the can. Never had a desire to go back after that.

I Love Bikes and Parts
    Jun 2009
    Turn those umm's into Yum's!

Rode there today. Lots of poison oak.

mtbr member
    My first trail west of Wilkesboro - rode this weekend. I'll give it a thumbs up right now. East to get to for an out of towner. Not much of a sign for the trail head, but it's right across the street from a large veiwing/parking area for the French Broad River. Fun trails - mild ups and downs to get you ready for Pisgah and DuPont area. It's a pretty narrow trail with little room for error I'd say. It is probably a way thumbs up in the late fall or early spring before the briars, limbs etc. extend into the trail. DUCK! I plan to come back then and try it again! Took a spill going down a fairly speedy section on the red loop, went off left of the narrow trail, caught some vegitation and it threw me good. Bike hung up in the sapling trees etc. LOL. Couple of bruises to show for that one! Don't miss out on crossing the road to see the veiw of the river!
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    My go to trails when I don't want to drive to a trailhead. They are quite over grown now which is a shame since the actual trail surface is in excellent shape. Generally a fairly wet place.

There are currently two trees that need to get cut out. One is hand saw worthy, the the other would be best for a chainsaw.

I actually think this system is highly under rated - it reminds me of North East stuff, crazy undulating terrain and a million corners, no places for recovery so it rewards a spirited effort. There is more than one perfect little transition in there for sure.

The trails would benefit from more use. Wear some long sleeves and check it out for a change of pace. Stellar views of the French Broad right off the bat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I agree with you. One of my go to trails, especially when I don't want to deal with crowds... Ski Country Sports/Asheville Bike Co. are the keepers of that system. Just send the shop an e-mail and get on their trail maint. crew/list, you can also let them know the areas that need work.

mtbr member
    Spam! But seriously, we need your vote.

Bell Built | Bell Bicycling and Motorcycle Helmets

Alexander Mountain Bike Park, Asheville-ambc-downtown-downhill-eastcoast.jpg
    doing things the hard way since, well, forever...

Voted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    I actually think this system is highly under rated
    Agreed. But it is difficult to keep up with the weeds in full growth weather down in the FBR valley. The best "season" for this one is definitely winter thaws or early spring. It can be nice in fall, too, after stuff starts to die back, but then watch out for the yellowjackets.

I generally avoid these trails from about mid May through late October, so I'd recommend waiting until this thread's 10th anniversary to ride unless some serious maintenance is done before then.

How about spraying with weed killer just the side of the trails? Will it stay clean enough time?

mtbr member
    I tried a few weeks ago, for me it was not rideable. I like tight trails but left with more thorn marks on my arms than ever. This generally doesn't bother me but you couldn't even see the trail. I did cut out several trees that were down and started working on a big one that's mucking up the red loop right before you get to the access road. It needs a chain saw.
    We talked about weed whacking the entire thing but I doubt it's a fruitful effort as it will just grow back. No to pesticides please, the proble is that the trail just doesn't see enough use, so weed removal seems pointless to me. Plus I'm sensitivite to poison ivy and vaporizing it with a weed wacker seems like a really bad idea!
    It's a seasonal trail for me at this point, see you again in the fall Alexander!

mtbr member
    I poked my head in there today on a road ride, so I didn't go far as I had slick tires. I did ride the first little red trail (up the cart trail, first left) all the way out to the dump service road and that little section was great, almost like someone cleared it recently? Also there was signage like there had been an event through there. Mixed feelings about that but the more it gets used the better.
    I can get there easily on my Mtb and plan on riding a loop or two there, I'll report the trail conditions then. Such a great little trail!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I went this morning and the trails are in great shape! A couple of trees down and minimal over-growth. Great shape actually for the beginning of August.

mtbr member
    Did two loops out there today and pretty much hit it all. Someone has been doing work, my guess is trail runners maybe? There's signage to suggest a race or event took place recently, while I criticize leaving the signage up, clearly these folks have re-opened the system, so thanks to who ever "bare bones" team is!
    There's a few new trees down that mess with one of the better DHs but all in all the trail is pretty clear, clear as I've seen it in the summer at least. Should continue to improve with a little rain and usage. Enjoy!

It's not overgrown anymore? I live very close and would ride some evenings. Last time I've been there it was overgrown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    It's not overgrown anymore? I live very close and would ride some evenings. Last time I've been there it was overgrown.
    It's still quite tight and still rides better in the fall, winter and springs months but it was enjoyable. I will say I suffered a minor case of poison ivy/oak but I'm pretty sensitive to the stuff and wasn't as diligent with the Technu as I usually am. If you live close, check it out.
    My one says BRAP!

Been there today and did the left loop. Overgrown.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Craig, the owner of Ski Country/Asheville Bicycle Company, has been doing some work out there recently. There was a trail running race there a month or so back as well. I think he intends to keep working on it but being a one man team is rough.

mtbr member
    Any recent updates on this trail? Last time there in May it was brier city.

Took a big tumble there due to the trails being overgrown. A very narrow path to follow with overgrown weeds on each side, dodging the briars at your face - got off trail just a little bit and the weeds grabbed my front wheel like Seymour on the little shop of horrors. Love the trail, the blood donation I wasn't too thrilled about.

Last time I was there it was a bit overgrown but not too bad. The recent foot race made the trail feel better.

Any recent updates? Trying to swing by it soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Was there last Sunday. Completely clear and all the downed trees are gone!

Quote Originally Posted by rzio View Post
    Was there last Sunday. Completely clear and all the downed trees are gone!
    Thanks a bunch!

Perfect time to ride Alexander. Did both loops today. Pretty dry and clean, with some leaves here and there. Bring your lungs for the right loop.

First photo: Speed, tight turn out of nowhere, over the bars.

mtbr member
    Doing the yearly trail check. Anyone rode it lately? Condition? Headed to A-ville labor day weekend.

Nope. Haven't been there in a while.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Sweet!
    I'll be in the area mid October. Considering bringing my MBike to ride while I'm there. I'll be in the Ashville area... if you have any other good suggestion on single trails let me know.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthy View Post
    Sweet!
    I'll be in the area mid October. Considering bringing my MBike to ride while I'm there. I'll be in the Ashville area... if you have any other good suggestion on single trails let me know.
    Marthy, you'll be in good shape then. I call Alexander "reverse seasonal" because it gets too overgrown in the late spring through the summer. I've tried my best to ride and encourage others to ride the small system throughout the year but the truth is that it's just an easily overlooked trail based on everything else we have in the area. It's a shame really but I can understand why more folks don't ride there, it's probably only slightly faster to get to Alexander from Asheville than it is to Bent Creek. And while I personally prefer the tight but somehow still flowiness of Alexander to the wide open trails of BC I understand why folks flock to BC instead. I live in Alexander so they are my go to trails and I can even ride there from the house.

I always post a trail report in the fall. It's still a little early I think but I'll be checking it out in the next week or so, will report back then.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Marthy, you'll be in good shape then. I call Alexander "reverse seasonal" because it gets too overgrown in the late spring through the summer. I've tried my best to ride and encourage others to ride the small system throughout the year but the truth is that it's just an easily overlooked trail based on everything else we have in the area. It's a shame really but I can understand why more folks don't ride there, it's probably only slightly faster to get to Alexander from Asheville than it is to Bent Creek. And while I personally prefer the tight but somehow still flowiness of Alexander to the wide open trails of BC I understand why folks flock to BC instead. I live in Alexander so they are my go to trails and I can even ride there from the house.

I always post a trail report in the fall. It's still a little early I think but I'll be checking it out in the next week or so, will report back then.
    Please do! I live about an hour away and would like to give this place a try next time I head to AVL. I usually ride Bent Creek but this is on my way into town, whereas with bent creek I have to drive all the way to the other side of Asheville. Plus I could just head on over to the Wedge and grab some brews after I'm done riding

Members who have read this thread: 0