Advanced beginner searching for a destination... ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

New question here. Advanced beginner searching for a destination... ?

i am 61, living in Montreal, Quebec.
    Please suggest me areas less than 2000 Km/1,250 miles away, preferably in SC to enjoy next spring and or fall. I would get there around april 8 for about 7 weeks. Any national park?
    I do not have a cellphone, do not use trailforks and never do DH.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you mean South Carolina, then the city of Greenville is probably your best choice. You have a few smaller local parks, a State Park, and you are very close to Pisgah National Forest. You can also drive south to other trail systems without mountains. In the USA, I believe there is no mountain biking in National Parks. Visit the website below to see many trail systems in any state in the USA by state.

https://www.mtbproject.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    @ Timothy G. Thanks a bunch.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    In the USA, I believe there is no mountain biking in National Parks.
    Not entirely true. Mammoth Cave NP and Cuyahoga Valley NP both have mtb trails. I know the pro crew doing the build in CVNP. I think a couple others may, also. But the number of parks that permit it is very limited.

The OP question is pretty vague. Going to be in the area for 7wks....doing what? 7wks is an awful long time to stay in one place doing nothing but mtb. I assume that other things will be part of the trip, too. And those might make a difference in the recommendations.

OP also needs to be open to looking at trailforks, and mtbproject, and other sources that might show where the trails are.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Not entirely true. Mammoth Cave NP and Cuyahoga Valley NP both have mtb trails. I know the pro crew doing the build in CVNP. I think a couple others may, also. But the number of parks that permit it is very limited.

The OP question is pretty vague. Going to be in the area for 7wks....doing what? 7wks is an awful long time to stay in one place doing nothing but mtb. I assume that other things will be part of the trip, too. And those might make a difference in the recommendations.

OP also needs to be open to looking at trailforks, and mtbproject, and other sources that might show where the trails are.

I will be camping, i enjoy birdwatching, pretty much most outdoors activities.
    I might start south and finish more to the north.
    I enjoy climbing, flowy trails, XC.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    I will be camping, i enjoy birdwatching, pretty much most outdoors activities.
    I might start south and finish more to the north.
    I enjoy climbing, flowy trails, XC.
    7 wks of camping? Tent or rv?

Cycologist
    I live two miles from a NPS, NATIONAL RECREATION AREA Chattahoochee River park that allows mountain biking. It is actually consists of a number of smaller parks and the one near me is the only one that allows mtb. I'm a member of the mtb chapter that maintains the trails along with park volunteers.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Harold being local to Asheville/Brevard can give better insight on that area. But for spring time anywhere not out west, that would be my 1st choice. If you like old school rocks and roots, Pisgah has that and more. Want a little bit more flow...DuPont is in the same general area but a drive if you are camped at one of the forest service campgrounds in the Pisgah national forest.

I personally would avoid South Carolina.

Anyway, I’d start my east coast 7 week spring trip to start in Arkansas to see what all the fuss is about the Bentonville area.

Then I’d make my way to Mulberry Gap, for the food and awesome setting...and oh yeah there is some decent trail too.

Then Pisgah/DuPont. I can’t even begin to scratch the surface of the endless possibilities there.

Then Stokesville, Virginia (near Harrisonburg) and camp @ the stokesville lodge/campground. Can probably link together 3 separate 30+ mile days straight from the campground and hit some amazing single track descents before you even think about hitting the IMBA epic “Southern Traverse”. That is 4 days of rugged riding and then you could hit up Masanutten as well for a 5th day of stout climbing and descending.

On the way to Stokesville you could hit up Douthat state park in Virginia for 2-3 days of riding from camp.

I’d leave Stokesville and head for East Burke VT...and the Kingdom Trails maybe mid to late May.

If you wanted a stop along the way to east Burke, maybe check out Bear Brook State Park in NH. Good trail and there is camping. I think it would be a stretch to ride more than 2 days there though.

After Kingdom Trails head to the Crabassett Valley area of Maine and try do do some hut to hut rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I live two miles from a NPS, NATIONAL RECREATION AREA Chattahoochee River park that allows mountain biking. It is actually consists of a number of smaller parks and the one near me is the only one that allows mtb. I'm a member of the mtb chapter that maintains the trails along with park volunteers.
    To be fair, even though national recreation areas are part of the nps system, they are managed differently than "national parks"

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have only rode in my area because i do not have a car till april but my neighbors mention East Burke VT...and the Kingdom Trails.
    Basically i will enjoy my fatbike till april 3 than while it is wet here drive south in a Westfalia for a warmer dryer destination and from there locals and bike shops will help me. I just want to be south enough to camp and find dry trails.
    I enjoy sections that challenge me but i am not much into jumps.
    Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Pretty nice bird watching in SC. Congaree National Park as well as the Cape Romaine National Wildlife Refuge (there's ferry service to Bulls Island) would be a great break from biking. Come to think of it, "Ride Bikes, Watch Birds" has a nice ring to it.

since 4/10/2009
    For bird watching, keep your eyes on bird sighting reports and try to catch the hawk migration along the mtns. Will require some flexibility and probably some level of mobile internet access to try to match your plans up with the progress of the migration.

Based on descriptions of your riding, I honestly am uncertain recommending much of the classic "Pisgah" stuff. Dupont would be good. Bent Creek would have some stuff for you. MAYBE the N. Mills River area at most, but I think that other parts of Pisgah might be too much for you.

So camping will be in a Westy. Good info. You will be mobile and in something enclosed, but small enough to fit almost anywhere.

As for conditions at that time of year, it just depends. Here in WNC, even now, daytime highs frequently get into the 50's (F). In April, it could be reasonably warm. Cold spells are not unheard of. Upstate SC won't be too different. The coast will be, though.

I second the recommendation of visiting Mulberry Gap in GA. Van-friendly campsites. Delicious food. Great trails (Pinhoti, Bear Creek, etc).

You will have to keep your eyes peeled for large weather systems with rain anywhere in the southeast at any time. A little bit won't hurt the rocky trails, but the area can easily get a LOT of rain in a storm. Some spots nearby got 6 inches in one 24hr period recently and that is not terribly unusual.
    Last edited by Harold; 12-31-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Cycologist
    To be fair, even though national recreation areas are part of the nps system, they are managed differently than "national parks"

True, but did I mention that it's two miles from my house.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    For bird watching, keep your eyes on bird sighting reports and try to catch the hawk migration along the mtns. Will require some flexibility and probably some level of mobile internet access to try to match your plans up with the progress of the migration.

Based on descriptions of your riding, I honestly am uncertain recommending much of the classic "Pisgah" stuff. Dupont would be good. Bent Creek would have some stuff for you. MAYBE the N. Mills River area at most, but I think that other parts of Pisgah might be too much for you.

So camping will be in a Westy. Good info. You will be mobile and in something enclosed, but small enough to fit almost anywhere.

As for conditions at that time of year, it just depends. Here in WNC, even now, daytime highs frequently get into the 50's (F). In April, it could be reasonably warm. Cold spells are not unheard of. Upstate SC won't be too different. The coast will be, though.

I second the recommendation of visiting Mulberry Gap in GA. Van-friendly campsites. Delicious food. Great trails (Pinhoti, Bear Creek, etc). You will have to keep your eyes peeled for large weather systems with rain. A little bit won't hurt the rocky

Trails, but the area can easily get a LOT of rain in a storm. Somespots nearby got 6 inches in one 24hr period and that is not terribly unusual.
    I just prefer to keep my life simple. A few times i lived in a small car for a few months in Florida, Key West and Fort-Lauderdale. So i prefer to be where the minimum average is over 42 to wake up at 35 or more. The west is attractive if the mosquitos are not a real problem. Geogia, the Carolinas and Virginia all offer me more daylight hours and that is a plus for me after the winter.
    Wishing you a Great 2019 !

mtbr member
    Camp at Petersburg Recreation Area, Baker Creek State Park, Mistletoe State Park, or Hickory Knob State Park (I prefer a lakeside site at Petersburg, Bartram trail is right there) and enjoy the fine fine trail riding in the area.

www.sorbacsra.org