Accident/Injury @ Bent Creek Yesterday- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Accident/Injury @ Bent Creek Yesterday

Blurb in the Citizen-Times today about an Asheville woman requiring evac. from Bent Creek yesterday, but no real information. Anyone know her name, or what trail she was on?

mtbr member
    On the news last night it said she was on Pine Tree Loop...but no other info! I keep checking this site to see if anyone reveals who it is. I have not heard from any of my gal-friends as of yet...hope she is ok whoever it is!

Apr 2007
    Not to be insensitive to someone injured, but people get hurt out there, and all over for that matter, all the time. After reading the "article" I'd say the writer was having a sloooooow night.

Hope how ever it was is all right though.

pronounced may-duh
    This kinda thing happens all the time. I can't figure out how it made it into the paper. Hope she's OK.

Big Mac
    Perhaps the author is related to the injured. Or maybe witnessed the accident. Or saw the EMS and like a good reporter went on the hunt for clues and answers. But I agree, it hardly seems news worthy.

pronounced may-duh
    I could see them doing a story about how EMS gets people out of the woods and to the hospital. Maybe some tips on how to be safe and what to do when you get hurt. But not about one person.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    great, now my moms going to call me.
    thats crazy, i had to walk back to my car on pine tree. i hope they are ok..
    (i need to put cravats in my 1staid kit). member, yall... spring is time to kinda refresh the ol' skillyos.

Big Mac
    What's really whacked is that it not only showed up in the paper, but aired on the t.v. news. Hard times in Asheville I reckon. Seems like their oughta be some grafitti or something to report. Or hippies!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I'd rather see/read that story than another gloom-n-doom, the world is ending, economic meltdown story.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Spoke to Tim Hinman of Skyland EMS today and it was in fact on Pine Tree. The reason it was seen as a story was not well conveyed in the article. He wishes for folks to know that if there is an incident in BC call from your location, do not go somewhere else, cell phones have a tracking system that allows pinpoint accuracy for 911 calls even with out reception. The story here was the person riding with her came out to Hard Times trailhead and waited for EMS then when they arrived she couldn't remember what trail they were on so it took about fifteen minutes longer to get to the victim. God Speed in a good recovery I know about head injuries as much as the next person. He suggested a few things that I will relay on the PAS forum if folks are interested. He also said THANKS for the work on Green's Lick they haven't been on that trail in, as he put it, "a very long time."

Ben

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by redriderbb
    Spoke to Tim Hinman of Skyland EMS today and it was in fact on Pine Tree. The reason it was seen as a story was not well conveyed in the article. He wishes for folks to know that if there is an incident in BC call from your location, do not go somewhere else, cell phones have a tracking system that allows pinpoint accuracy for 911 calls even with out reception. The story here was the person riding with her came out to Hard Times trailhead and waited for EMS then when they arrived she couldn't remember what trail they were on so it took about fifteen minutes longer to get to the victim. God Speed in a good recovery I know about head injuries as much as the next person. He suggested a few things that I will relay on the PAS forum if folks are interested. He also said THANKS for the work on Green's Lick they haven't been on that trail in, as he put it, "a very long time."

Ben
    Well that would explain the ATV tracks that were all over the place yesterday. They were everywhere and appeared to be going in circles, which apparently they were. It's things like this that would have made for a useful story, rather than "Someone got hurt @ Bent Creek" "We'll have nothing more at 11!" Give us the goods! Best wishes to all.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redriderbb

Ben

Seriously nice work Sherlock, that's a good contact. I'm really happy to hear that about the GL work. We should pass that on to the FS some how.

Official Cooler Inspector
    I hope the person in this topic is doing OK!

There are those unfortunate times someone has to be professionally ported out of the woods - and I pray never to experience that. I also would never want to be anyone's news topic.

If I'm coherent, have no major blood spewing, can hitch a ride or walk/crawl home, I'll do it. You do not want to get that little memo "injured in extreme sport activity" listed on your hospital and insurance records.

For non life-threatening stuff: remove bike clothes, if able (or find someone to cut your bike clothes off and re-dress you), clean up and then go for medical care.

Tell them you stepped in a mole hole in the back yard and hit a tree, or tripped over the cat laying at the top of the stairs, or your mail box rusted off at the base and you lost you balance opening it - anything you'll remember and be able to repeat several times with conviction, even drugged. I guarantee you'll get treated differently.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

just an odd observance...

redrider says cell phones "track" 911 calls...?

I'd really like to know if this is true. There was a story in the "Transylvania Times" about a month or so ago where a guy died in a house fire. His daughter lived NEXT DOOR and called 911 on her cell phone and they said they couldn't determine her exact location so the signal got bumped around between different towers. It took the FD, EMS, etc longer than normal to respond and unfortunately...

I'm not callin' anybody out (god forbid on this forum) I just wanna know if THE MAN can really track us by our phones (ICE)? Maybe all the ridges and such affected the Rosman situation? I believe the comment was made that if they had called from a ground line there would have been no problem?

I'm definitely no stranger to getting hurt and/or stranded in the woods. But if I can leave the phone behind I could probably squeeze another beer in my pack...

(Also on a personal note, I called 911 from my cell phone one day while I was riding -not for evac!- and the operator asked me where I was because there was 'confusion' responding to my call. I also realized that day that people don't graduate college with a degree for that kinda job. Grrrr)

Ambassador of Fun
    Jun 2008

an update on the rider..

I was there and a part of the rescue. The rider will be ok and it looks like a broken T-6, possible broken wrist, and many, many stitches underneath her eye are the injuries she will be recovering from over the next few weeks. I don't really want to post names as I not sure she would like it broadcast but her riding buddy approached me on the trail as I was on my way back to the car. The sun was setting as I was alerted to the fact that a fellow rider had major head trauma a few miles up the trail. As someone who knows all to well what head trauma means, I offered to help out along with another rider who had medical training. Major props to her riding partner who rode his ass off to get to cell phone reception, then tracked down two people to assist with the effort, the nurse who came along for a fast ride back to the injured party and the skyland search and rescue team. I hope none of you have to meet them on the trail but if you ever need them know that you are in the good hands of professionals.

There were several things I took with me as a result of my experience.

1. The cool looking visors on your helmet can really hurt you if you land on your helmet in the wrong way.

2. Considering the nature of our sport/activity we should all know something about basic wilderness first aid.

3. The Skyland Rescue Team does a great job and without them getting off the trail would be extremely difficult if not life threatening considering back and neck complications.

Yes, it was probably a slow news day for this to make both TV and print but it serves to remind us that accidents happen no matter what your level of riding is and when they do it is a major deal to those involved. Here's to a speedy recovery and the hope that she is back out on the trail soon.

jut rut
    Capturing the Asheville Experience via photography, video and words.

www.justinasheville.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yourcell phone has a GPS locator. when you dial 911 it activates it. cell phone signal and GPS signal are 2 diffrent things.

pronounced may-duh
    FYI: Pisgah SORBA is in the beginning stages of forming a mtn bike patrol group. More info on the PAS site LINK

For many people the patrol is a way to give back, do something positive for the community AND ride your bike all at the same time. You don't have to do trail work to make a difference. This does not apply strictly to Bent Creek. The patrol will cover Pisgah, DuPont, etc... Basically any place you go for a ride.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    Did someone get hurt again today (Friday)? I was at the intersection of boyd branch and ingles connector and a "mule' type vehicle came by with what looked like yellow backboards on it. But I wasn't really close enough to see who was operating it... maybe a drill?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    skyland runs feild exercises.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    911 triangulation between towers is NOT GPS. Not every cell phone has a GPS unit. It is true that when you dial 911 from your cell phone that the towers triangulate your location from different signal strengths between different transceivers (towers) in order to aid in finding someone.

There is no such thing as "cell phone GPS" GPS is GPS. Except when talking about AGPS which requires your phone to have a GPS module but also uses cellular network assistance to triangulate location by referencing distance from towers.

Official Cooler Inspector
    "....which requires your phone to have a GPS module but also uses cellular network assistance to triangulate location by referencing distance from towers"

Thanks for adding that info! This has been a topic discussion in the past. It's really important that people know the REAL names of the trails they are riding - not just the nicknames. A lot of locals can't reference sections of Bent Creek by their official designations. OK for us, but worthless to an EMT.

As always, the #1 advice for out-of-town folks: Get a map before you ride.

We advised the Skyland EMT folks about the trail names at a meeting two years ago. I'll add that for future discussions.

Thread that turned into Memory Hills:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=Billy+Goat
    Last edited by M-U-M; 04-04-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

May 2009
    Pine Tree loop is an awesome area. I hope she's alright.

mtbr member
    I thought everything at Bent Crick was named either Explorer or Sidehill.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Members who have read this thread: 0