AAAAAAARRRGGGHH ! Lost Bike.- Mtbr.com
    H8 H8 H8

AAAAAAARRRGGGHH ! Lost Bike.

I guess my bike got as sick of my sh^t as everyone else. It bailed off the back of my car somewhere between Pisgah Forest and Saluda this afternoon.

So if anyone comes across a grey Niner EMD 9 with a custom "H8R" headbadge and a chainstay sticker that says "FEED MY GRIT !" please let me know.

Also, if anyone comes across any crackheads trying to sell mysterious Thomson bits, or King/DT wheels, or a debadged Reba, they may have used to be mine... so make sure you low-ball them because that stuff is all ragged out.

Any help from anybody would be appreciated.

Does anybody know the proper way, if any, of informing The Authorities in case someone turns it in?

OK, I'm going drink a bunch now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AAAAAAARRRGGGHH !  Lost Bike.-dscf0114.jpg  

Last edited by Broussard; 08-22-2010 at 06:10 AM.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i'll help.

maybe you should NOT drink.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

dude that sucks....

i've done that before.....i didn't lock the straps of the yak rack, bike was just sitting on the rack... and pulled out of 477 and the Banshee landed into the road luckily the cars coming down 276 didn't run over it... and i saw it in the rearview mirror take flight.

nothing like feelin' stupid. sorry dude

Official Cooler Inspector
    Broussard's List? TMI, but too late now.

Hope the local yokels help get your bikie back.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

drunken pirate
    Um, I hope that isn't the one you'll need for Double Dare

Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

So Zach, with the title of the Original post, do you think Pirates stole it? "Arrrrgh"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XxOG2NE2gmU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XxOG2NE2gmU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

report it stolen - delete all traces of this post...

Brewzard - check your PM.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Sucks man! I've been drinking solid since mine got stolen off the top of my car 2 1/2 weeks ago.

mtbr member
    I'm curious. What kind of rack did it fall off of?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973

the kind that doesn't hold bikes very well?

hey BrouSSard this surveillance video shows the bike already missing

<object id="player" height="481" width="608" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.videobash.com/resources/flash/player.swf" style="visibility: visible;"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="flashvars" value="autoplay=true&autoreplay=false&video_url=ht tp://media1.ord.videobash.com/mp4/000/001/745/480_1745.mp4&options=http://www.videobash.com/&related_url=http://www.videobash.com/video/player_related?id=1745&link_url=http://www.videobash.com/video_show/very-good-driver-1745&video_title=Very+good+driver%21" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.videobash.com/video_show/very-good-driver-1745">Very good driver!</a> brought to you by <a href="http://www.videobash.com/">VideoBash.com</a>

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1973
    This one.

The hook clamps always tended to slide a little bit on me, but never enough to be a problem. The only thing I can figure is that it was pouring rain when I loaded up and the water under the clamps let them slide more easily this time

There are straps to hold the wheels down that would have saved me, but I never used them
    before. I will now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

H8 H8 H8

Found.

Going pick it up tomorrow in Brevard. It bailed at the intersection of Crab Creek and
    Little River. The lady who found it apparently had quite a time wrestling it into the
    back of her car in the driving rain. Thanks to her !

Thanks so much to Salmansp and MUM for putting me on to the Craig's list thing... I wouldn't
    have thought to look there. Didn't realize it was such a popular site.

And hey Park - thanks for nothing.

Dude you owe her big...

like a case a Natty Lites and big sloppy kiss!

oh yeah, ditch that fuggin' rack!

Gabe.....
    Yeah, ditch the rack on Craig's list...........$$$
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    OK, now that you have your PRECIOUS back. . .

Remember that WNDC quote from a couple weeks ago "I can't believe I ever put my bike on your rack"

I never lost a bike off my rack . . .
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    OK, now that you have your PRECIOUS back. . .

Remember that WNDC quote from a couple weeks ago "I can't believe I ever put my bike on your rack"

I never lost a bike off my rack . . .

It was our geared bike, not the Precious. If it had been the Precious we would have been cutting ourselves by now. ssssss....

I'm lucky I don't roll like you, because I don't think the lady would have been able to fit the bike in her vehicle if she had found it with the rack still attached.

By the way, how are your dropouts looking these days?

ANYWAY. I guess I will have to start using the little strappy thingies. See you tomorrow, ya hoser.

mtbr member
    It was the geared bike. . . what's all the fuss about then.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    I have the exact same rack. Never had a problem. I always bungee cord the bike to the rack just to be safe. Glad you got your bike back!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    I too have that same rack. My second one actually and it works okay. The top padded collars screw knobs will stip the bolts and they have to be replaced every so often but always use the velcro straps!

Think I mentioned something abut The Wedge to her... she confirmed to me today about you getting your toy returned.

Glad everything worked out!

drunken pirate
    Oh great, so now that you have it back I suppose you will be taking it to Double Dare. That sucks
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    I've had two bikes fall off the Hollywood Bikes three bike version of that rack, outer mount. Both times had the wheelstraps cinched down, so didn't lose bikes, just dragged them on the highway for a short while- new handlebar and grips both bikes, new shifter as well on one.

First time it was wife's bike, I figure I'm a dumbass.

Second time was a friend's bike, I double checked the bike and had the friend triple check, he Ok'd. Fell off within a mile of house while crossing Smoky Park bridge.

Friend is a high end mechanical engi-nerd (and it wasn't the OP), so I tend to trust his opinion. His analysis was that the square head metal bolt had play in the plastic clamp- so it was loosening itself going down the highway as it bounced. We could see where the clamp had rounded out the wee-est little bit.

I only put my bike on the outer rack now and always use a back-up tie down.

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    Oh great, so now that you have it back I suppose you will be taking it to Double Dare. That sucks
    I won't tell you how much faster the route we did the other weekend is with gears. Other than to say - "A lot".

mtbr member
    I was with a couple of guys driving back to Spartanburg about 3 years ago. One guy put his bike on the back rack and neglected to secure it properly. We were going down the Saluda grade on I-26 at about 70 when the bike decided to part ways with the truck. Somehow or other, we managed to pull over and rescue the bike from the middle of the interstate before someone ran over it.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    I won't tell you how much faster the route we did the other weekend is with gears. Other than to say - "A lot".

As though you need to argue singlespeed or gears. . .

All your going to do during the DD is stand around and argue about single track or roads.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

about 10 years ago driving back from Fontana Village we passed this SUV with some kind of piece of crap, tilt back hitch racks. Well evidently they forgot to pin the thing in the up-right position.... So the bikes are scraping the road, sparks flying, handlebar snapped, wheels toast, pedal sheared off, crankarm grinding to a nub... so we pass the guy and try to get their attention by pointing to their rack... and the driver looks up and sees the bikes on my roof, and gives us the big thumps up... We couldn't help but smile back and give'em the

you know they were hating it when they finally got to their destination.

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    As though you need to argue singlespeed or gears. . .

All your going to do during the DD is stand around and argue about single track or roads.

You have to wonder about a guy who will look you in the eye and calmly remark that it's faster to shoulder the bike and run up Pressley Cove than to ride up Maxwell.....

Gabe.....
    Going through Knoxville once (10 years ago) my new GT Zazkar fell off the rack mounted to the back of the car at 60mph onto the middle of I-40............cars and trucks swerving to not run over it all over the road and when I finally got to it, there was not a scratch on it..........not a scratch. I could not believe it at the time and to this day can't explain how this could happen without incident. True story.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Shlt! I have your same exact bike and same exact rack - been using the Xport for a couple years and I also never use the straps! In fact, my straps dry rotted from the sun and fell off..guess I better pony up for that Raxter soon. I do run a tight cable lock around everything on the interstate tho..

Members who have read this thread: 0