700lb hog killed in Pisgah- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

700lb hog killed in Pisgah

Bears in Pisgah get my blood pumping but I'd probably soil my britches if I came up on this beast.

Safe for work
    Hunters Kill 700 Pound Pig In Transylvania Co. - WLOS - Asheville Top Stories - ABC

western NC
    Picture angles can be deceiving, the one with it hanging up next to him it looks nowhere near 700lbs. And why is it that none of these guys ever have these hogzillas officially recorded? Seems there's one of these stories every year or two floating around. That being said, I don't want to tangle with one that weighs 1/3 of that.

mtbr member
    That hog was more than likely pen raised and released. Its very unlikely that a wild-born feral hog can reach 700lbs on its own, especially in the mountains. Down East? maybe.

Whats more unbelievable was that the guy went hog hunting with a single shot rifle...

Pretty cool but there is too much about this story thats hard to swallow.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Disappointing!

I thought somebody shot a Harley.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC View Post
    Disappointing!

I thought somebody shot a Harley.
    LMAO! No need to, just pull out a camera and they'll off themselves.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

ready to ride
    Never really seen any feral ones in Transylvania county but I have seen some huge ones in the Smokies up close and personal, but none that big.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

Big Mac

700lb hog killed in Pisgah

I've seen quite a few around the fish hatchery. Granted, it's been a while, but at one time, they were a pretty big problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Picture angles can be deceiving, the one with it hanging up next to him it looks nowhere near 700lbs. And why is it that none of these guys ever have these hogzillas officially recorded? Seems there's one of these stories every year or two floating around. That being said, I don't want to tangle with one that weighs 1/3 of that.
    I say the weight is close. I have shot several in Alabama that had the body of a lab and weighed close to 300 lbs. They are very dense. Most hunters who bag a nice size animal will not say where they bagged it with the exception of friends and family. They said it was private land so I say they had cameras out and knew it was in the area and don't want everybody and their brother out there hunting for one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    That hog was more than likely pen raised and released. Its very unlikely that a wild-born feral hog can reach 700lbs on its own, especially in the mountains. Down East? maybe.

Whats more unbelievable was that the guy went hog hunting with a single shot rifle...

Pretty cool but there is too much about this story thats hard to swallow.
    I'm going with ^^banjopickin^^ on this one. As many miles as I've traveled, hiking, hunting, fishing, biking etc in Pisgah, I never had any inkling there was any type of significant population of feral hogs in Pisgah, nor observed any signs of them, nor had I heard of them being present. Yeah, maybe a few scattered around but no real population.
    I doubt a truly wild born and raised feral hog would likely get this large, or live long enough to. Pisgah swarms with deer hunters each year, never heard of a hog being killed though I don't know of a deer hunter that wouldn't kill one given the opportunity. Never seen or heard of a road kill nor any sightings.

I suspect this fella was corn fed on private land bordering Pisgah, and fed regularly to keep him close.
    I don't believe these guys "just happened" to find a 700 lb wild hog in Pisgah.

Still an impressive kill and lots of meat though I know of guys in other states that DO hunt and regularly kill feral pigs will typically avoid killing big boars because of the stinky, low quality meat large boars often have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Not sure if pin raised and fed but let me assure you that they are in western nc and are problems. My job requires me to spend a lot of time in the woods nowhere near trails or trail systems. I first saw a hand full of them in 1997 in haywood county.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
    Not sure if pin raised and fed but let me assure you that they are in western nc and are problems. My job requires me to spend a lot of time in the woods nowhere near trails or trail systems. I first saw a hand full of them in 1997 in haywood county.

Oh no question about it. I was talking specifically about Transylvania, Henderson, Buncombe county areas of Pisgah.
    Where this big fella was killed.

Swain, Haywood, all the extreme western counties, no question. And they cause a lot of destruction, I too have seen what they do. They are also down east pretty thick and in various pockets scattered across the state and a problem in the GSMNP.
    There's been wild boars in WNC for over 100 years, ever since the rich dudes imported the true "Russian Boars" way back when.

But just talking feral hogs here, yeah they can roam and expand and have done so. They'll probably eventually be pretty thick in the area we're talking about.
    But for a 700 pounder to suddenly appear where there is no known significant population, well, as Banjopickin said, "too much about this story is just hard to swallow". That's all I'm saying.

mtbr member
    "Last Saturday morning I ate tenderloin at 9 a.m. and by Saturday afternoon I was eating sausage."

That sounds like good 'ole boy heaven right there...
    "Plato is my friend, Aristotle is my friend, but my best friend is truth." - Newton

The perfessor
    about 25 years ago, I was backpacking in the Cohutta Wilderness here in GA and ran into my first boar (with two sows); it scared the living H3LL out of me.......I don't care how big they are, they are dangerous so be on your guard.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike