5000- Mtbr.com

Thread: 5000

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Does anyone know if and when there are any plans to fix 5000 or is it permanently closed to cars for any foreseeable future?

mtbr member
    My guess is they will repair it next time they log up that way. Similar to Bear Branch rd...

That got nice and reworked before the recent logging.
    On your left!

Big Mac
    They'll likely fix it when they get the money. Personally, I love the fact that it's closed. Makes riding over there much more pleasant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    When was it closed? What is it damaged? From the rains?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    a big tree fell on the downhill side of the road shortly past Spencer Gap. Took out a fair amount of the road with it. Its been closed to cars for well over a year...

There really isnt any need to open it unless they need to get logging trucks in there. All these forest roads are there for logging so I would be surprised if they fixed it just so cars could access it. I dont see them spending money on that with all the other things the money could be better used toward. Who knows...
    On your left!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    It's been closed for a while, due to a washout.

Big Mac
    South ridge road has been washed out for years. These thing are definitely not a priority for the usfs. I'm ok with that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    They'll likely fix it when they get the money. Personally, I love the fact that it's closed. Makes riding over there much more pleasant.
    Yeah, it makes the riding more pleasant but the access more unpleasant, at least for me. If coming from AVL, it's a lot easier to access via the parkway than to drive around through Mills R. I prefer parking at the bottom. Wah, poor me, I know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Anyone know how long the shuttle would take to shuttle to top of Big Creek from Wash Creek parking via Yellow Gap Rd?

Big Mac
    I usually park in bent creek, or at the gap and ride into mills river that way.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by ohkeepah View Post
    Anyone know how long the shuttle would take to shuttle to top of Big Creek from Wash Creek parking via Yellow Gap Rd?
    I'm gonna guess 40 minutes. You could also ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah, I could. The gravel grinding just isn't fun for me. I'm having a flashback of this exact same conversation with a dude at the top of middle fork one day. Was that you?

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Yeah, I could. The gravel grinding just isn't fun for me. I'm having a flashback of this exact same conversation with a dude at the top of middle fork one day. Was that you?
    This is off topic, but I've never done Middle Fork and am wondering how it compared to Fletcher? The wife usually likes to ride out from the Trace Ridge lot on the Neverending road and return via Fletcher. I tried talking her into doing Middle Fork, but by then she's had enough Neverending. Hate to eventually get her to go all the way to Middle and have her not like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO View Post
    This is off topic, but I've never done Middle Fork and am wondering how it compared to Fletcher? The wife usually likes to ride out from the Trace Ridge lot on the Neverending road and return via Fletcher. I tried talking her into doing Middle Fork, but by then she's had enough Neverending. Hate to eventually get her to go all the way to Middle and have her not like it.
    Mid. Fork is mostly flat, overgrown, and soupy. It doesnt get alot of traffic but its nice to ride when making a big loop with Spencer, Fletcher, etc. In dead of summer its really woodsy and hard to follow at times.

I usually only ride it when doing odd loops out at N. Mills. If you dont like "backwoods" type riding stick to Fletcher/Spencer...
    On your left!

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks, I will stick to Fletcher then. Middle Fork will probably be really soupy after all this much-needed rain.

Big Mac
    I like to ride up middle fork, from the river, ending at the never ending road. It's a nice addition when combined with fletcher creek or something else.

Big Mac
    Maybe. What were you riding, or better yet, what was I on? Car free gravel grinders aren't so bad, but I get your point.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's over an hour to go via Yellow Gap Rd (1206) - you can't fly down 1206 and it's actually pretty far. Probably actually faster to go out to 191 an up to the parkway. (Stopping to check Google maps.......Google maps agrees). Yellow gap is 24ish miles, lots of gravel, and 191 is 26 miles, mostly paved and fast.

I normally just ride up Laurel and do the h-a-b since it's an excuse to get ice cream at the campground.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Maybe. What were you riding, or better yet, what was I on? Car free gravel grinders aren't so bad, but I get your point.
    I was on a Norco 29er and just had the bejeezus scared out of me by a big ass bear darting right out in front me on middle fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    It's over an hour to go via Yellow Gap Rd (1206) - you can't fly down 1206 and it's actually pretty far. Probably actually faster to go out to 191 an up to the parkway. (Stopping to check Google maps.......Google maps agrees). Yellow gap is 24ish miles, lots of gravel, and 191 is 26 miles, mostly paved and fast.

I normally just ride up Laurel and do the h-a-b since it's an excuse to get ice cream at the campground.
    Thanks IoC. I wouldn't have thought 191 would have been quicker. I'll also check out the Laurel route.

Big Mac
    I was on a Norco 29er and just had the bejeezus scared out of me by a big ass bear darting right out in front me on middle fork.
    LOL. Yep, I remember you. You were heading towards big creek and you live in west Asheville, correct? I'm really not that into gravel, I just like it when roads close to cars. Small world.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    LOL. Yep, I remember you. You were heading towards big creek and you live in west Asheville, correct? I'm really not that into gravel, I just like it when roads close to cars. Small world.
    Yeah, that's me Small world indeed.

mtbr member
    Shuttling here is all about a dedicated driver. We were lucky to shuttle big creek a few weeks back, it makes that ride so much better. A car at BC gap and shuttle/park at or near the Inn, there's not a great way to do it without a ton of driving otherwise. Sometimes shuttling is more trouble than it's worth but if you can convince a driver it's amazing.
    I was pretty anti shuttle but after laying out some great shuttle run days and epic point to points it really has opened the forest up much more. How many times can you grind up 5000?