44 miles of Pisgah Goodness- Mtbr.com
    29er zealot

44 miles of Pisgah Goodness

Johnny (StangerthanMilhouse) and Peter (mntbkr68) met up for a long ride around Old Fort yesterday. The totals worked out to be 44 miles and about 7500 feet of climbing. Overall, the ride was a blast, though we spent quite a bit of time actually trying to find the beginning of Heartbreak once to the BRP. The descent was amazing, well worth all of the climbing done.

A few pics from the ride

Johnny climbing on Jarrett Creek Road

Peter climbing on Curtis Creek Road

One of the BRP overlooks

Me at one of the BRP overlooks

Fire damage on lower Heartbreak

banned
    Post up Froth the next time your gonna ride Heartbreak and I'll try to make it a bigger group.We like to go up the Toll road to the parkway and then its only a mile or so to Heartbreak trail head.

Slightly askew

Good times

Yesterdays ride was one of the best i've ever had. Yep, im a bit tired today

Oh and that water was a bit funky
    Zero charisma

29er zealot
    Johnny, nice pics man, are they up on a site like photobucket or anything like that?

Great times man, thanks for meeting up!

Barry

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Oj, you guys are killing me. I guess it went well. Please let me know next time you are rolling. I had to settle for a Sunday Stroll in Ellijay, 28 miles, 4,000 feet of climbing......wish I had down heartbreak. Great ictures.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Foam14 - the back ground is nice, but man - you look like you needed oatmeal for breakfast.

I'm still ultra-conservative and on a dial-up connection, so I rarely wait for pic loading. This is kind of a: "what's the best rail to ride, seat for my SO, flats or clips question". What Bell helmet is that?
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

29er zealot
    MUM, oddly enough, I did have some oatmeal for breakfast... I think that is my default ugly mug though!

Anyways, the helmet is a Bell Sweep R.

29er zealot
    I'll be out there again leading another group a week from tomorrow. Then Tuesday and Wednesday I'll be riding/fly-fishing in Brevard. PM me if you are interested in riding!

Official Cooler Inspector
    Thanks! I'm in need of a "new head".

Great that you are leading rides!

FYI: Bent Creek was in fine shape today.

Worse part of my post-ride-high was that the lawn mower actually started (after I cleaned off the two year old spark plug with my chain cleaning toothbrush.) Shoot... draining oil after a ride wasn't really that cool of an activity, but overall, my mechanical abilities rated a 9.5 today.

Switched sides with a bad skewer spring for a friend. Squeaky brake temporally fixed.

I'll call this a "Grits & Grease Day".
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

I like Squishy Bikes
    Grits & Grease Day
    I use butter on my grits, makes it extra tasty
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

mtbr member
    May 2007
    you better put butter on our grits.... yankee

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks like a fun ride.....Tollroad?? is that 482a? Also any Heartbreak trailhead/turn off clues. thanx in advance!

29er zealot
    Just a very short section of the toll road was used to get to the very very top of heartbreak. We missed the entrance of heartbreak off of the BRP. It is between milemarkers 353 and 354. If you continue past those towards milemarker 355 there is an obvious gravel road to the left that takes you to the toll road/bear camp/top of heartbreak.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cool...I wasn't all game to dodge vehicles on BRP....But I'm guessing that those 5 miles goes quickly...

29er zealot
    Those 5 miles do go by pretty quickly, the views are unbelieveable, so you don't even notice that you're road riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14
    Those 5 miles do go by pretty quickly, the views are unbelieveable, so you don't even notice that you're road riding!
    impossible...

nice pics, bro. that's a big ride. props...
    ride fast...take chances...

Members who have read this thread: 0