4/19 or 4/26 Rice Pinnacle to Ranger Station- Mtbr.com
    Asheville YetiRider

Cool-blue Rhythm 4/19 or 4/26 Rice Pinnacle to Ranger Station

Motobutan and I are talking about doing a shuttle. Start riding at Rice Pinnacle and ending at the Ranger Station (as much single track as possible). Do you know anyone thats done it? about how many miles? Apx. moving time? Everyone's welcome to join us.
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This ride could be a Sunday stroll or an epic all day ride. That's the beauty of Pisgah. The options are endless. If it were me my route would include a push up Big Creek but I am dumb like that.

Asheville YetiRider

40+ miles

I think we were hoping to get at least around 40 miles out of it. A push up Big creek sounds like a good add on.
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

mtbr member

Yep ..done that

Gabe,Karl and myself did that 2 years ago...on Fixies. We did the "other " way up to Laurel instead of Big Creek, still a helluva hike-a -bike up though.
    The ride length was 42 miles i think with 85% single track, it made us tired.
    At Bradley creek we opted to go up Laurel Creek but in retrospect going up [email protected] Pea Gap would have been a better choice as it would have eliminated another hike-a-bike.
    The hike-a-bikes over the twin peaks of death on Black Mtn hurt a little bit also.
    Our route.
    Rice Pinnacle..ingles field..Side hill connector..gravel rd over to Spencer gap,Spencer Creek,Fletcher Fields,Big Creek,up Good Nuff(hiking only),down Laurel Mtn,down 5015,up Laurel Creek,Squirrell Gap,South Mills,Buckhorn,down Black Mtn to the maintenance shed and beer

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would opt for taking Trace Ridge once I finished Spencer Gap.

But then I would want to bring my lights and ride back

Eric ||

Apr 2007
    I've done a similiar route, but as an over nighter. Left after work one Friday, rode till dark, camped off the bottom of Trace and on Saturday I headed across the river, up 1206, Laurel, Pilot, Buckhorn and ended at the bottom of Black Mountain.

And actually this friday morning I'm rolling out of Swannanoa with my camping gear loaded, bikepacking style, for something along those lines. I'm thinking I'll camp in the Yellow Gap area Friday night and somewhere's further out Saturday. I'll see how far I get before dropping down the BRP sunday evening. No hurry though.

Have a good ride, there's a lot of good options along that way.

banned
    We'll leave bent creek to the parkway then down traceridge to 1206 then up laurel mtn down pilot rock then turn right on 1206 to left on 476 then up 5018 to horse cove down to squirrel then up s. mills river to buckhorn up the steps at blk. mtn and buckwheat and bennet then up maxwell cove and finally down blk.mtn.Very little hike a bike and mainly single track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    We'll leave bent creek to the parkway then down traceridge to 1206 then up laurel mtn down pilot rock then turn right on 1206 to left on 476 then up 5018 to horse cove down to squirrel then up s. mills river to buckhorn up the steps at blk. mtn and buckwheat and bennet then up maxwell cove and finally down blk.mtn.Very little hike a bike and mainly single track.
    FWIW - Up 5018 is about 3.5 miles and 1,000 ft of up. Some really nice views of Pilot and the Pisgah Inn, then as you keep going views of Buckhorn Gap, Clawhammer and Black. It's actually a nice way to see the whole valley that S Mills runs through. I walked it last week, it wouldn't be too bad a ride though.
    many gears, some pies

Members who have read this thread: 0