mtbr member
    Oct 2007

3rd Annual Grind on the Greenway

3rd Annual 6 Hour Grind on the Greenway Mountain Bike Challenge
    Saturday, May 8, 2010
    Anne Springs Close Greenway
    Ft Mill, SC
    www.charlottemtnbike.com

Don't let the name fool you. The 6 Hour Grind on the "Greenway" is a 6 hour singletrack
    mountain bike race, with 805 ft of elevation per lap, that will challenge participants both physically and mentally.

When?
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 from 11AM to 5PM.
    Early event registration through May 7
    Day of registration: 8:30AM to 10:30AM

Where?
    The event will be held at Anne Springs Close Greenway mountain bike trails. The start/finish location will be at the Field Trial Barn. The course distance will be roughly 9 miles of awesome singletrack with a elevation gain of 805 ft at the 2300 acre park.
    Course Map and Elevation are available on the website.

Who?
    Open to all, with 8 solo and 3 duo categories!

REGISTRATION IS OPEN
    Discounted online early registration will be open until April 14.
    Standard online registration will be available April 15 - May 7
    Day of registration will be available from 8:30AM to 10:30AM on race day.

Event t-shirts ONLY guaranteed to those who pre-register.

For online registration, visit
    http://www.charlottemtnbike.com/Grin...gistration.htm

Camping is available Anne Springs Close Greenway but not at the race staging area.

For more info, visit www.charlottemtnbike.com

Cheers
    Neal

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    We started a new section of trail to bypass an area that's a mud bog in wet weather and it should be completed well before the race if we can get some extended dry weather. It will be a nice addition.

mtbr member
    Neal - is the course being run counter-clockwise?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yes, we will be running the 6 hour race in the counter clockwise direction. When you leave the field trail barn, head straight down the gravel road and make the left on the singletrack, just before you enter the woods on the gravel road. The first thing you will pass in the woods is the big gravity cavity, its on your left.

It was interesting hearing the different opinions on the race direction...some people like it counterclockwise, others like it clockwise. Personally I think it flows a little better in the clockwise direction but the hills don't seem to be as tough in the counter clockwise directions.

Doug and some of the guys have been working on a few bypass trails, maybe adding a little bit of trail. Also, some of the trail that was near the creek that bisects the property has gotten washed away so there are plans to reroute it a little higher on the bank.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I agree with you that there is more climbing going counter-clockwise and the trail doesn't flow quite as well as clockwise. Making us suffer more are you? Just kidding. This will be a really fun event. Anne Springs are my favorite trails in this area - a little bit of everything out there with some good climbing too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just a few days away from the early bird special discount deadline. The early bird discount will end on Wednesday, April 14.

Standard online registration will be available April 15 through May 7.

For online registration, visit
    http://www.charlottemtnbike.com/Grin...gistration.htm

Camping is available Anne Springs Close Greenway but not at the race staging area.

For more info, visit http://www.charlottemtnbike.com

mtbr member
    Does this race have a limited number of participants? I missed the early prereg deadline but money's a tad tight and I'm wondering how long i can put off preregistering.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No, there is plenty of room at the facility for a large crowd. Registration online will be open until the day before the event.

www.charlottemtnbike.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Is the course open to pre-ride all the time, during the week and on weekends?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yes, during daylight hours. The normal parking area is located at Leroy Springs Recreation Complex and there is $3 riding fee. Directions are listed below. I think they will allow you to use the brochures.

Driving Directions to the Leroy Springs Recreation Complex (Mountain Bike Access):
    From I-77
    Take I-77 to exit 88 / Gold Hill Road heading East toward Fort Mill. Road changes to Springfield Parkway. Follow Springfield Parkway until it ends at Hwy 160 (Tom Hall Street). Turn right onto Hwy 160 and the Leroy Springs Recreation Complex is 0.2 mile on the right. The ASCG mountain bike access is at the rear of Complex parking area.

From Ballantyne/Lancaster
    From Hwy 521 take Hwy 160 West 5 miles toward Fort Mill. The Leroy Springs Recreation Complex is on the right 0.2 mile past the Food Lion. The ASCG mountain bike access is at the rear of Complex parking area.

There is a map of the race course on www.charlottemtnbike.com

http://www.leroysprings.com/default.asp?lsc=274

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    brochures....sorry, I meant to say bathrooms. Trying to do two things at once.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sounds good, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Less than a week a way from the 2010 Grind on the Greenway in Ft Mill, SC. We've had several crews working on the trail, getting it ready for the race. The long term weather looks great for Saturday. Should be great for the race this weekend.

www.charlottemtnbike.com

mtbr member
    OK, I'm registered. You guys watch out for me. This is my first ever bicycle event. I'll be the old guy starting in the back of the pack in the 50+ age group. I'll try to stay out of everyone's way but hope to learn a lot from everyone and meet some new friends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by super jim
    OK, I'm registered. You guys watch out for me. This is my first ever bicycle event. I'll be the old guy starting in the back of the pack in the 50+ age group. I'll try to stay out of everyone's way but hope to learn a lot from everyone and meet some new friends.
    Dude... serious props for taking on a 6 hour as your first event!

EDIT: I'M REGISTERED!... see you guys this weekend.
    Last edited by 7daysaweek; 05-04-2010 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member

sweet

They call us "Grand Masters" for a reason..good for you for jumping in and see you there..

mtbr member
    Enjoyed the race thoroughly!!! (at least the first four laps...)

I was cruisin' for about 3 laps... then the burning started... me and my buddy only had a chance to ride about the first 2 or 3 miles of the course before we started... you know the smooth flat fast part of the course... so I (stupidly) decided NOT to gear my bike down like I had planned... ended up regretting it later and stopping to make a QUICK gear change.... which turned into a 20 min cog swap.... which completely knocked the wind out of my sails and all the drive out of my legs to push through and finish... i got through 5 laps with 10 minutes til cutoff and i turned in my chip... regretting it now but I had fun so i guess it's all good... awesome race guys and sweet trail... i'll be back next year for sure!

And does anyone know if the dogs they had out there got adopted yesterday?

mtbr member
    Good meeting you, 7daysaweek. I had a great time also. Being my first race, I just wanted to see how it all worked. Wow, what some athletes. I started dead last so as not to hold anyone up and got passed before I finished my first lap by some red blur that was not even breathing hard.

Got some work to do now before the next one.

Will there be any pictures posted from the race?

mtbr member
    Will there be any pictures posted from the race?
    I guess not.

Members who have read this thread: 0