3 day of riding in Pisgah from one camp spot?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

3 day of riding in Pisgah from one camp spot?

I have some vacation days to burn so I was planning a solo riding/camping trip to Pisgah sometime in October. I went to Clemson and rode quite a bit in the ranger district in college so I'm familiar with the trail system and surrounding area. Ideally I'd like to find a spot I can set up camp on Thursday, clean up on Sunday, and get 3 20-30 mile all day rides in-between. Just curious if anyone has a favorite campsite or can recommend an area where I can camp and get 3 solid days of riding right from the campsite.

Thanks!

Big Mac

Any of the roadside sites would work. I like yellow gap road. White pines road is convenient, but still gets sketchy. 225 is nice as well. Most of the Pisgah district can be accessed from sites on FS roads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Any of the roadside sites would work. I like yellow gap road. White pines road is convenient, but still gets sketchy. 225 is nice as well. Most of the Pisgah district can be accessed from sites on FS roads.
    I camped at the White pines roadside sites the most while I was in college, are they sketchy because they are so close to main roads? I'd rather be further out and less sketchy…. I just got out my Nat Geo map from college and starred at it for about 30 mins and was quickly reminded just how many trails and roads there are just in the Ranger district. I'm trying to figure out a couple of loops I want to do and work backwards to figure out what campsite works best.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You could camp in N. Mills River Campground.
    That way you could leave your gear unattended and be fairly confident it would be there. You'd be right at Yellow Gap Road and Wash Creek Road. So up either one would put you into some prime popular trails, Trace Ridge area up Wash Crk and Laurel Mtn, Pilot Rock area up Yellow Gap. You could also access the Turkey Pen/S. Mills area off Yellow Gap.
    You'd have access to a toilet and running water.
    Personally I prefer packing in for camping, but if I just wanted a base camp for riding I'd choose that(NMRCG) over a roadside campsite. I simply wouldn't stay in one of those roadside campsites. I've seen what's in some of the cars that seem to just cruise those roads.

Big Mac

I've camped in many of those roadside campsites, over the course of many years. Never a problem. Why live scared? I don't get that. North mills campground wouldn't be on my list of spots to stay, but we all have our preferences.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sigh... I was just trying to offer the guy another option. I don't live scared but I also don't hang out in certain areas. Call it self preservation. Call it situational awareness. Call it wisdom with age.
    Call it whatever you wish.
    The guy asked for ideas, I offered one, you offered one. By your own admission, you used the word "sketchy" to describe yours. I agree, some of the roadside areas are "sketchy". That's why I offered a possible alternative while meeting his criteria.

You like to camp on the road? Then have at it and enjoy your time. N. Mills River CG not on your list? Then I wouldn't stay there if I were you. I've never stayed there personally.

Amazing to me how people can try to turn the most innocent of threads into some pissing match.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by WNCGoater View Post
    Sigh... I was just trying to offer the guy another option. I don't live scared but I also don't hang out in certain areas. Call it self preservation. Call it situational awareness. Call it wisdom with age.
    Call it whatever you wish.
    The guy asked for ideas, I offered one, you offered one. By your own admission, you used the word "sketchy" to describe yours. I agree, some of the roadside areas are "sketchy". That's why I offered a possible alternative while meeting his criteria.

You like to camp on the road? Then have at it and enjoy your time. N. Mills River CG not on your list? Then I wouldn't stay there if I were you. I've never stayed there personally.

Amazing to me how people can try to turn the most innocent of threads into some pissing match.
    You offered an opinion based on your fear of roadside camping. I described one area as "sketchy", which is based on my real life experience. Not my generalized fear. But I've never really had an issue there. Just loud, and, well, sketchy.
    North mills, to me, doesn't offer as much as other spots. It's my opinion and I said as much. And i really don't realize any built in security there either. If you want security, go to Davidson River Campground or a motel.
    When I want to camp and ride, yes I like roadside camping. Why wouldn't I? No one mentioned the desire to procure a backcountry camping experience.
    Pissing match? Not so much, you're just really sensitive.

mtbr member
    Finally... 6 posts in and the *****ing and vitriol begins. I was beginning to become bored with the NC/SC forum. Its been way too tame since the E-Bikes in Pisgah thread fizzled.

Thanks for stepping it up guys haha...

To answer the OPs question:

There are a ton of roadside camping spots on most of the forest roads. 477, 1206, 475b, 475, etc. Ive stayed at them many times over the last decade and never had an issue. Other than loud neighbors. That being said I wouldnt leave any valuables out in plain sight but I wouldnt do that in or out of the forest anyway.

I like to camp off of 476 at the fishermans camp. Better yet is to ride in a bit on S. Mills and camp. Just load your shiz up in a backpack and ride in. Plenty of sites and trail access is right there for everything but the Fish Hatchery stuff and N. Mills(since you dont want to ride miles of gravel to access a trail). If you want to ride Laurel/pilot its a short bike ride up 1206. If you want to ride the Turkey Pen stuff just cruise up Funnel Top Rd. and drop in Horse Cove. You can access Squirrel, Mullinax, etc from there. If you want to ride the Ranger Station trails spin up Buckhorn and ride Black, Avery, Bennet...whatever.

If you need to stay closer to town you can camp up off of Thrift Cove too. This limits your riding options (again since you want to bike ride from camp and not drive) but you can easily ride into town to hit up the Bi-Lo, Hub, or whatever.

Good luck.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Finally... 6 posts in and the *****ing and vitriol begins. I was beginning to become bored with the NC/SC forum. Its been way too tame since the E-Bikes in Pisgah thread fizzled.
    HA! Mouth breathers... he's still pi** over my moped comment. Haters gonna hate.

Good luck to the OP. Looks like three options to consider though I think banjopickin is onto something. My first option would be to do what he says, strap on a backpack, pack it light and head in on the bike. Then have a grand adventure. Nothing like sleeping in the woods. I hope it works out great for you!

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by WNCGoater View Post
    HA! Mouth breathers... he's still pi** over my moped comment. Haters gonna hate.

Good luck to the OP. Looks like three options to consider though I think banjopickin is onto something. My first option would be to do what he says, strap on a backpack, pack it light and head in on the bike. Then have a grand adventure. Nothing like sleeping in the woods. I hope it works out great for you!
    You have very thin skin. And you're hostile. Who ever you may be.
    Edit: I revisited the ebike thread. You're the judgmental racist that doesn't like to share "his" roads. Cary on mate. You're doing great.

mtbr member
    someone say "Sketchy" up in here? What can I do for you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I guess I should have mentioned I'll be riding an E-bike

Banjopickin, that sounds like some good advice. Unfortunately as much as I would love to do a little bike-packing and haul my stuff to a campsite via pedal power, none of my camping stuff is lightweight or optimized for travel on bike.

I don't mind hitting a bit of gravel to access trails but I'd like to keep it to a minimum. I'm going to take a look at my map again tonight, it sounds like the Fisherman's location might fit the bill best. If I could string together a couple loops to hit Pilot rock, Turkey Pen, Black mountain and a few others I'd be more than happy. Is Farlow Gap still as gnarly as I remember?

Big Mac

Yeah, ebikes are the sh!t. 1206, aka yellow gap road has lots of good sites and is centrally located to squirrel gap, laurel/pilot etc... And allows easy access to the fish hatchery and ranger station areas v

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    I guess I should have mentioned I'll be riding an E-bike

Banjopickin, that sounds like some good advice. Unfortunately as much as I would love to do a little bike-packing and haul my stuff to a campsite via pedal power, none of my camping stuff is lightweight or optimized for travel on bike.

I don't mind hitting a bit of gravel to access trails but I'd like to keep it to a minimum. I'm going to take a look at my map again tonight, it sounds like the Fisherman's location might fit the bill best. If I could string together a couple loops to hit Pilot rock, Turkey Pen, Black mountain and a few others I'd be more than happy. Is Farlow Gap still as gnarly as I remember?
    Yes Farlow is still super fun gnar gnar.

There are several nice sites approx. 1/4 mile or less in from the parking area. I managed to haul in a cooler, guitar, tent and camping implements, 18pk of Pabst and fly fishing pole with hammok in two trips. Although I did use my pack basket which is awesome and you should get one if you dont have one.

Also if you want to ride the Hatchery stuff just ride out to 276 and hit 475B to Cove Creek/Daniels Ridge and to access 475. Then its just an easy-peezy pedal up to Farlow.

haha
    On your left!