22 year old moving to Charlotte, looking to meet new people to ride with!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

22 year old moving to Charlotte, looking to meet new people to ride with!

Hey guys! I just graduated from GMU in nothern VA and I am moving to Charlotte this weekend for a full time job I got.

I am 22 years old and just got a new 2017 Diamonback Mission Pro.I am looking to meet some new people to show me around the local Charlotte trails as well as the mountain rides (pisgah, dupont, and bike parks!).

This upcoming week fromJune 5th to the weekend I am free and do not start the "real world" till Monday June 11th, so I am trying to use this time to explore all the trails I can and test out my new bike!

If anybody is free to show me around or just have any tips that would be great! I watch youtubers like Seth, singletrack, and BKXC all the time so I have a fairly good grasp on the types of riding in WNC.

Also any cool campsites in addition to the trails would be a great help!

Thanks!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by KJD95 View Post
    Hey guys! I just graduated from GMU in nothern VA and I am moving to Charlotte this weekend for a full time job I got.

I am 22 years old and just got a new 2017 Diamonback Mission Pro.I am looking to meet some new people to show me around the local Charlotte trails as well as the mountain rides (pisgah, dupont, and bike parks!).

This upcoming week fromJune 5th to the weekend I am free and do not start the "real world" till Monday June 11th, so I am trying to use this time to explore all the trails I can and test out my new bike!

If anybody is free to show me around or just have any tips that would be great! I watch youtubers like Seth, singletrack, and BKXC all the time so I have a fairly good grasp on the types of riding in WNC.

Thanks!

Kevin
    I would start over at the forums on Tarheel TrailBlazers. There are plenty of posts for social/group rides and you can get all the info you need from people who are riding these trails every day. I think there is a social ride every Tuesday (weather allowing) with the location usually changing every week.

How long have you been mountain biking? I would recommend conquering the local fare first (Rocky River etc.) before heading out west - Pisgah should not be taken lightly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by flyninjasquirrel View Post
    I would start over at the forums on Tarheel TrailBlazers. There are plenty of posts for social/group rides and you can get all the info you need from people who are riding these trails every day. I think there is a social ride every Tuesday (weather allowing) with the location usually changing every week.

How long have you been mountain biking? I would recommend conquering the local fare first (Rocky River etc.) before heading out west - Pisgah should not be taken lightly.
    Thanks for the reply, I will definitely check that out and go for a group ride, thanks!

And I've only been riding since November, but have done a ton of difficult backcountry rides in VA on my hardtail. Also I've been to Snowshoe Bike Park and hit almost all the blacks and a double black (on a rental of course). So I am definitely ready for some Pisgah!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by flyninjasquirrel View Post
    I would recommend conquering the local fare first (Rocky River etc.)
    Rocky River looks badass and not too far from where I will be living. Looks like a great place to get started and stay in shape! Sherman branch and BYT are also on my list. They look like a blast too, a lot of great trail work put in

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I grew up in Charlotte and ride a bit there when visiting the family. I'm actually on the plane flying back now Ridden Sherman Branch, Backyard Trails, and the trails at the Whitewater Center, but not Rocky River (too much of a haul from where either of my parents live). The riding at Sherman is super flat and pretty mellow except a few small jump lines and drops. BYT is more fun, still flat but a lot more techy (actually pretty challenging for me being used to riding mountainous, but mostly multi-use trails). WWC has a little more elevation, but not a lot -- I've only ridden there once, I thought the West Main part of the trails were fun, but the rest was WAY too crowded. I did happen to be there on a pretty busy night (a few hours before River Jam, which is a blast if you want to ride, drink beer, and listen to music). Honestly, everything in Charlotte is hardtail material. If I lived there, I'd save the FS bike for Pisgah.

Haven't ridden Dupont. Pisgah is varied, but not really something to be feared if you're used to riding trails with substantial elevation profiles. I get the sense that it's a lot gnarlier for folks who ride in Charlotte day-in day-pit and make the trip a few times a year than for someone who's got more experience riding in the mountains. Even as a relative beginner a lttle while back I didn't feel outclassed there on trails like Kitsuma or Trace Ridge coming from riding trails in my area (which are smoother, but often have longish descents and big steep climbs). Know yourself and you will be fine. Definitely great territory for a big bike like you have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    I grew up in Charlotte and ride a bit there when visiting the family. I'm actually on the plane flying back now Ridden Sherman Branch, Backyard Trails, and the trails at the Whitewater Center, but not Rocky River (too much of a haul from where either of my parents live). The riding at Sherman is super flat and pretty mellow except a few small jump lines and drops. BYT is more fun, still flat but a lot more techy (actually pretty challenging for me being used to riding mountainous, but mostly multi-use trails). WWC has a little more elevation, but not a lot -- I've only ridden there once, I thought the West Main part of the trails were fun, but the rest was WAY too crowded. I did happen to be there on a pretty busy night (a few hours before River Jam, which is a blast if you want to ride, drink beer, and listen to music). Honestly, everything in Charlotte is hardtail material. If I lived there, I'd save the FS bike for Pisgah.
    Oh, and to be perfectly clear -- all the trails I described are SUPER FUN, just trying to get your expectations in whack. The work THT have put in there is amazing. I make a point to make a donation any time I visit and ride the trails, and if I ever happen to be in CLT on a trail day I'm there. Maybe I'll see you one day KJD95!

mtbr member
    As far as bike parks go there will be two in operation during the dates you want to ride:

Bailey Mountain Bike Park
    www.beechmountainresort.com

Both are a lot of fun and definitely worth checking out. Make sure to purchase tickets ahead of time since there is a limited amount of riders that both places can handle (Beech will be shuttling for this season due to construction of new lifts). Both places have terrain worthy of a dh bike and both have dh rentals on site. Neither place is as big as Snowshoe but the trails are a lot of fun. Come say hello if you are up at Beech and would like a guide.

mtbr member
    There are several groups around Charlotte for Mountain Biking. One is a group on meetup.com called "Mountain Biking and Fun Activities Group". They have rides pretty frequently around Charlotte, and are a great group for people just getting started, as well as those a bit more advanced. I am a member of that one, although I live in Greenville, SC. We have a group here on meetup as well called "Mountain Biking the Upstate", and occasionally do combined rides, or camping weekends, with the Charlotte Group.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by KJD95 View Post

Thanks!

Kevin
    Hey man, Im from Charlotte as well and live near uptown. Also have a longer travel bike (Turner RFX160 rear with 170 fork). Sure its more bike than I NEED for Charlotte area trails, but so much fun. I try to get to pisgah at least once a month, probably twice on average. Normally brevard area trails or old fort area (Kitsuma/heartbreak/star gap). Been to dupont, bent creek, north mills area, and Wilson creek area as well. The trail systems close to Charlotte are flat by comparison to Pisgah, but there is still good stuff to be found. Much better than other areas Ive lived in. My top 5 Charlotte area trails:

Poston Park
    Rocky Branch
    Rocky River Trail
    BYT
    Whitewater center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasec79 View Post
    Hey man, Im from Charlotte as well and live near uptown. Also have a longer travel bike (Turner RFX160 rear with 170 fork). Sure its more bike than I NEED for Charlotte area trails, but so much fun. I try to get to pisgah at least once a month, probably twice on average. Normally brevard area trails or old fort area (Kitsuma/heartbreak/star gap). Been to dupont, bent creek, north mills area, and Wilson creek area as well. The trail systems close to Charlotte are flat by comparison to Pisgah, but there is still good stuff to be found. Much better than other areas Ive lived in. My top 5 Charlotte area trails:

Poston Park
    Rocky Branch
    Rocky River Trail
    BYT
    Whitewater center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I live in gastonia area and have hit all of those except BYT just haven't had the time to make it out there yet. Poston has some good stuff for the location and it's only 10 minutes from me, rocky branch is pretty neat as far as features and some jumps go and WWC is okay there's a couple jump lines and the figure 8 loop is kind of fun. Great place to hit early on a weekend then lunch and beer after a ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    FYI BYT is the jam...
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin-nc View Post
    I live in gastonia area and have hit all of those except BYT just haven't had the time to make it out there yet. Poston has some good stuff for the location and it's only 10 minutes from me, rocky branch is pretty neat as far as features and some jumps go and WWC is okay there's a couple jump lines and the figure 8 loop is kind of fun. Great place to hit early on a weekend then lunch and beer after a ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

the #1 Stunna'
    Everyone stay out of BYT. It's not for riding

Nah, this ain't 2008, go ride it, lots for everyone.
    I has Bikes