1st MTB trip to NC...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1st MTB trip to NC...

I perused the board and didn't see this addressed...

Making my first trip to NC to ride. I'm looking to come back there next April or May for a week to 10 days. What might I expect weather wise?

I'm not sure if I'll ship one of my bikes or rent one local. I'm sure all manner of bikes and travel options are ridden just fine but I'm also interested to hear your opinions. Based on the videos I'm watched, I'd most likely bring my Intense Primer.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Where in NC are you doing? This has been a pretty wet summer.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    This is just an assumption... but we're talking about Pisgah/Dupont/allthatstuff right?

Weather is gonna be very unpredictable. Will you be camping? Expect weather in the 60-80ish degree range during the day, 20-40ish at night. Also there WILL be rain, so if you are camping bring an awning or a big tarp to hang up to give yourself somewhere to hang out.

All that being said... the spring riding is awesome. Totally worth the trip. Just bring rain clothes (ponchos own), and something warm for the mornings and evenings. If you're camping do yourself a favor and get a mummy bag with good temp ratings so you can get some sleep.

The primer would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Sorry for some reason, I thought you were coming this weekend and back again in April/May.

As for bikes, yes the Primer would work great for the entire area. If you can, come in April as some trails are seasonal and close after April 15th.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    This has been a pretty wet summer.
    You like understatements, eh? May was insane.

OP, a lot depends on your plans. Camping? Hotel/Airbnb? Where SPECIFICALLY are you looking to set up your home base for riding? Plan to stay there the whole time, or shift home base to put other trails into range? What sorts of riding would you be looking for? Sample all of the goods, or do you have narrower preferences? Looking for any non-riding extracurriculars? Food? Beer? Music? Hiking? Family-friendly stuff?

mtbr member
    If I can pull it off, I'll be coming for Chasing Epic's inaugural NC bike tour which as MudderNutter suggested is centered in the Pisgah area (or at least I know we'll be riding there as part of the trip). We'll be staying at some sort of hotel/condo so no camping. The tour is 4 days but if I'm flying back there from SoCal, I'll be there at least another 4-5 days. I can bounce around and won't necessarily have to have a set agenda other than the tour. I'm also a history buff so if I get rained out, I'm sure I can find something to explore to keep me busy.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    If I can pull it off, I'll be coming for Chasing Epic's inaugural NC bike tour which as MudderNutter suggested is centered in the Pisgah area (or at least I know we'll be riding there as part of the trip). We'll be staying at some sort of hotel/condo so no camping. The tour is 4 days but if I'm flying back there from SoCal, I'll be there at least another 4-5 days. I can bounce around and won't necessarily have to have a set agenda other than the tour. I'm also a history buff so if I get rained out, I'm sure I can find something to explore to keep me busy.
    Ah, okay. Buddy of mine (Barrett with Red Wolf, who I'm sure is pretty well known among folks posting here) is the one who partnered up with Chasing Epic for those tours. Wouldn't be surprised if that group winds up at Pilot Cove. But there are other possibilities like the Bike Farm and a few others.

That at least narrows down some thoughts about what you're dealing with. So we know you won't be planning the routes or the lodging or any of that.

Yeah, so what's been said about the weather is certainly true. Plan for lots of variability. Bring rain gear. Bring cool weather riding gear. Since you're from SoCal, I'd call it cold weather riding gear. ;-) Plan for the possibility of riding in cold rain. Frankly, my least favorite of conditions. I'd say it's unlikely you'll be completely rained out. It takes quite a lot to make that happen. All the trails have different thresholds for that, so you might wind up on an alternate route if there's a bit more rain and you plan for the day included one of the trails that gets gross earlier. Quite a few places stay wet all the time, so count on that.

If you're here for some time outside of the tour, you'll certainly have plenty of options.

mtbr member
    What is "rain gear"?
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

Big Mac
    What is "rain gear"?
    A hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What is "rain gear"?
    Generally you just substitute your water/sports mix for beer.