12 Hours of Tsali- Mtbr.com
    Super Moderator SuperModerator

12 Hours of Tsali

Is anyone attending the race on May 2? Has anyone done it before? How is it?

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Is anyone attending the race on May 2? Has anyone done it before? How is it?
    It's the same day as PMBAR, so I'm not going this year.

The event's very well done, professional, etc. Parking always looks like a nightmare, so I've camped out the past two years.

Only negative thing I'll say is that the course itself is pretty bland. After 3-4 laps, it's hard not to be bored. Doing it as a team might be more fun, but solo gets mindnumbing.

Wait until the last minute to register. If rain's predicted, skip it.

Be ready to run 1/3 of a mile or so to your bike...it's a le mans start.

I love Pisgah
    I've done it a couple times, being 4 man. Agree, regarding the weather. Both times (the very first 2 times they did it), it was a miserable muddy mess. They even stopped it once, because of lightening. Mostly all red clay there, so you can imagine.

I live next door to it, so its my default trail for daily mileage. They JUST bulldozed the roadbed up the middle(Cnty line road), which they use for the 12 hour. Its pretty messed up now, being a clumsy attempt to fix a few small perpetual wet spots. They did 80% of the entire road regardless, so its at best, slower now.

Me about to go out the for the last lap. Note my muddy-arse teammate, having just finished his lap. We finished 2nd in this event.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    I did it last year on a 4 man, and am doing it again this year on a 3 man.

My thoughts:

Last year it rained ALL DAY. Personally, it did not affect my fun. I considered it an adventure. Some people were leaving though. If you plan on doing it, mentally prepare for rain. I think it has rained the past couple years.

Each lap starts with a 2 mile dirt road climb. It definitely spreads out the riders so there isnt really much elbow to elbow action on the singletrack. The middle section is mostly flowing singletrack, with another difficult climb at the end. The point Im making is, that it's a climbers course.

Parking is indeed difficult. If youre not camping you may have to park way down the road. They will allow you to come into the parking lot to unload, but all vehicles have to be out a half hour before the race. BTW there are no reservations for camping and there are 40 spots. So plan accordingly there.

Definitely bring a canopy and get there early to stake out your space.

The event is indeed professionally ran. One thing that pissed me off, is that they put on a spaghetti feed, and it occured while I was out on a lap and when I got back all the spaghetti was gone. That sucked. I actually complained to the organizer about it.

Regarding team size, if you are on a 4 man team then that means you will be sitting around for ~3 hours in between laps. To me personally that was a bit demoralizing as I got cold sitting around.

Overall it's a fun event and I will be there rain or shine.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by High Side View Post
    ...it's a climbers course.
    It's by no means flat but the climbing isn't bad compared to what I think the OP (AshevilleMtnBiker)is used to. The 12-hour course is right about 1066 feet/lap (because I'm a nerd), which translates to "2/3 of a solid Bent Creek loop and about half of any Pisgah loop."

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    It's by no means flat but the climbing isn't bad compared to what I think the OP (AshevilleMtnBiker)is used to. The 12-hour course is right about 1066 feet/lap (because I'm a nerd), which translates to "2/3 of a solid Bent Creek loop and about half of any Pisgah loop."
    Well, that doesn't sound bad at all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    Im glad you posted that elevation stat, I had actually wondered about that.