10th Annual ORAMM Update- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

10th Annual ORAMM Update

Here is a little FYI for everyone planning to attend the ORAMM this year.

I have read posts from racers who ran the ORAMM in previous years that had individual issues with not carrying or stashing enough water at the rest stops to maintain their own person. To aid everyone this year the North Carolina Army National Guard will be supplying a 300 gallon Water Buffalo (Big Mobile Water Carrier) and a HMMWV (Hummer) in support of this yearís event. Also there are three Army National Guard Medics that will be on hand to volunteer their individual expertise in support of the racers.

This 300 gallon Water Buffalo is in addition to what the race organizers have already planned for so there should plenty for everyone.

See you at the starting gate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.5Pilot
    Here is a little FYI for everyone planning to attend the ORAMM this year.

I have read posts from racers who ran the ORAMM in previous years that had individual issues with not carrying or stashing enough water at the rest stops to maintain their own person. To aid everyone this year the North Carolina Army National Guard will be supplying a 300 gallon Water Buffalo (Big Mobile Water Carrier) and a HMMWV (Hummer) in support of this yearís event. Also there are three Army National Guard Medics that will be on hand to volunteer their individual expertise in support of the racers.

This 300 gallon Water Buffalo is in addition to what the race organizers have already planned for so there should plenty for everyone.

See you at the starting gate.
    5.5 pilot- please note I've never posted on this damn fool business before and I have no idea why I am now, but oh well..
    Racers who pay for an event that advertises fully supported rest stops have the right to expect that and be upset when it does not happen.
    Thanks for playing.

wants a taco
    I agree 100% with mike on this one.

buuutttt.... the worst part is when you email the race organizer about the problem asking for some of your entry fee back or discounted entry into next year and he tells you that running out of water wasn't his fault, it was the volunteers fault...that my friend is just wrong

mtbr member
    Rumor has it that the Guard is shooting complainers on sight. More water for everyone else.

Every time you complain, the terrorists win.

Jun 2008
    Gents I'm just here to help this year and I'm with you on this to a degree. However there is a little thing called "Murphyís Law". Basically whatever can go wrong will.

Here is the way I look at it. I am an adult and I am ultimately responsible for my success or failure every time I step out on an operation be it a combat Op or a Mountain bike race and in life in general. I begin every mission (race/ride) with a successful end in mind. I also ask myself what could possibly go wrong that I have a reasonable chance of mitigating or eliminating altogether. I.E. broken chain, pinch flat, broken derailleur hanger etc. Now granted you cannot eliminate all possible SNAFU situations I.E a broken frame or a spine injury during a crash, etc. I trust you understand.

Now I am sure it is beyond the average persons capacity to carry enough H2O to sustain them over 63 miles in July Heat to be even remotely competitive...but to my knowledge everyone has/had the opportunity to cache personal support gear at all of the stops. Things like tubes, favorite snacks/energy bars,...ahem water. Whether an individual chooses to do so is solely up to them. Lock me on if I am incorrect concerning this detail.

My point is ALLWAYS have a plan B...and possibly C. Personal Responsibility is a requirement in life and never confuse someone elseís convenience services as a substitute for your plan B. No one will take care of you better than you.

It all boils down to mindset. You are either prepared or you are not. You will either survive/win/finish or you will not. Plan for eventualities. Hope is not a method.

Donít get me wrong gents I'm simply playing Devils Advocate. Anything created by man can malfunction and all human plans no matter how well laid out can go awry. I live and die by this universal rule (literally and figuratively). Thatís whatís great about events like ORAMM if you finish itís because you made it happen no one else. Thatís why itís so gratifying.

Iím not trying to take a jab at anyone and hope you understand the spirit that this post is written in. This is simply my philosophy about life and I hope you will consider these things as a good rule of thumb.

Thanks!

wants a taco
    5.5 pilot, I assume you are one of the guardsman who are helping with the race. Dont get me wrong your help is greatly appreciated but seriously, this organizer has had more than one chance to prove himself and has failed miserably.

I know people who have had this same issue for the last 3 years...3 years and the same mistake, imagine having someone like that on a mission that involves you clearing buildings. All it takes is a tenth of a second of hesitation and your gone. Is it forgivable or acceptable to keep making simple mistakes like going the wrong direction when entering the room? You talk about self reliance but when it comes down to it you need to trust the guy next to you, am I right or am I wrong?

Why is it so different when paying someone $80 for a race, if they promise something shouldn't it be expeceted that they deliver on at least most of what they promise or is it ok that they make a serious profit but have the same fundemental mistake for 3 years in a row (could be more, thats all I know of personally) Is it ok that the person in charge tries to shift blame to others that are there helping for free on their own personal time while todd sits back and makes a profit off of the event? That is just plain wrong, no two ways about it. here is a direct quote from todd (the race organizer) after I sent him an email asking for a partial refund.
    I will also have paid personnel who will realize that if they are running low on water they need to go to refill.
    Sounds a whole hell of alot like trying to shift blame to me. Its water, they promise, they should be able to deliver something so simple. Another analogy, say someone gives your rendezvous coordinates for a mission...say there off by 1/4 mile or so because they didn't double check and your squad takes on heavy fire because of it, is it ok and expected because its really about self reliance in the end??? HELL NO, take accountability for your mistakes, learn, grow, thats what progressing as a species is all about...not shifting blame.

Not trying to sound like a d**che but damn... Todd should have figured out this issue after the first race if he is going to be charging $80 a head to run in this race. The guys at pisgah productions are only charging $50 for a much more "epic" event and then offering a free (at least till todd ruined that idea as well...) event just because. To me that is what racing mountain bikes is all about, a big ass day in the woods for no other reason than because you can or think you want to see if you can
    Last edited by nubcake; 05-27-2009 at 06:22 AM.

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake
    Todd should have figured out this issue after the first race if he is going to be charging $80 a head to run in this race.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.blueridgeadventures.net/oramm/faq.html
    Fee: $100 if received by July 19, 2009. $120 if received thereafter
    Looks like a pretty steep water bill was added to this year's event.

mtbr member
    Nubcake, Have you ever organized a cycling event?

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000psi
    Nubcake, Have you ever organized a cycling event?

Timmy, have you ever seen a grown man naked ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, Another H8 thread!!! Who would have thunk it. . .
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake
    I agree 100% with mike on this one.

buuutttt.... the worst part is when you email the race organizer about the problem asking for some of your entry fee back or discounted entry into next year and he tells you that running out of water wasn't his fault, it was the volunteers fault...that my friend is just wrong
    Here we go again!

I was a volunteer. I will take some responsibility / blame for running out of water. I underestimated how much water we would use. I gave some of our water to another rest stop. When we ran out, I was not prepared and it took us some time to figure a plan to get more water. More water was available and had I been more proactive we should not have ran out. For me it was a learning experience. If I do it again I hope I would not make the same mistakes.

Jun 2008
    Gents

Letís not let this spiral into a "urination" contest. WNC needs more events like ORAMM and if there is anything that can be done to make WNC a more enjoyable and accessible area for riders/racers than I am all about it.

The bottom line is this. There will be water, literally tons and tons of it. Take some home with you after the race. Shower in it, wash your car whatever. If there is not enough drinking water this year it will be because hell froze over....Twice.

I have never organized an event for 400 people spread over 63 miles and I am quite sure it would be a complete cluster **** if I did. I am also not here to point fingers and play Monday morning quarterback or to let anyone off the hook either.

Very simply put ...Kick back , relax, enjoy the race and drink up. The Soldiers and event organizers working on this will move Heaven and Earth to make it happen without a hiccup.

Itís under control.

mtbr member

The way I look at it...

Simply put,
    I pay for your beer with my entry fee. I won't drink it at the end anyway. This entitles me to drink all your water throughout the day. In essence, because of me you will appreciate the extra and cold beer that much more. You guys should be thanking me for that. Heck, you guys should be carrying at least one of my water bottles uphill as a token of appreciation for all that I do for you.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

mtbr member
    Somebody still owes me a beer from last year's Swank. By the time I got done, the fast guys had drunk all the beer.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    I love this freakin' thread!!!
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/
    Your LEAST favorite, insider's look at a bicycle distributor

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Somebody still owes me a beer from last year's Swank. By the time I got done, the fast guys had drunk all the beer.
    Sorry about that. I know I had more than a couple. They were GREAT.

At least I can't be blamed for drinking the water.

mtbr member
    My fault. I never should have fricking posted.
    Blue Ridge Adventure events are EXCELLENT! Sure, they had an issue with water and people complained- they have the right to do so, I don't care if it's the promoter's doing or the volunteer's or the Hawley Blog's (I suspect that's where the real blame lays for most of the problems in the cycling world, and maybe beyond). People still have the right to complain.
    We're super lucky to have such high-quality events in our area as the Swank, ORAMM, and the upmoing stage race. Blue Ridge also does an excellent job returning the goodness to local trail work,for which they should be 1000% congratulated

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Agreed, it is most definitely The Hawley blog's fault, or those Hoffenchard kids.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spankye
    Agreed, it is most definitely The Hawley blog's fault, or those Hoffenchard kids.
    This is so absurd it doesn't deserve a response. By the way everybody, feel free to call Eric Smith at Cane Creek for all your headset concerns....
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/
    Your LEAST favorite, insider's look at a bicycle distributor

consistent default champ

Question

Let me first say, I am NOT doing the race this year. I am considering for next year's calendar and just had a few questions.
    Will my riding in Dupont prepare me technically for what I will see at this event? Are the trails legal at all times of the year so I could preride them sometime between now and next year to see what the course might be like? What happens if you can't finish? short cuts out of the woods somewhere?
    I have read race reports and would not take entering this event lightly. I did one 50 mile race last year and have another planned for next month but with half the climbing. My husband jokingly asked if I was going to go race in a few weeks. I told him not this year but maybe next year and he looked at me like I had lost my marbles

mtbr member
    No on the technical. Yes the course is open year round, but high elevations are very unpredictable from Dec-early march. There are checkpoints every 10-20 miles, so you should be able to make it to one and then take the sag wagon home.

mtbr member
    Brownie,

You could easily do this race this year. . .

There isn't much ridge riding or narrow off camber descending at Dupont that compares to HeartBreak and Kitsuma.

Heartbreak is a 30 - 40 minute descent. Kitsuma isn't quite as long as that. Other than that all you have to do is climb a little bit.

Hit me up when, if you guys want to pre-ride and we can organize a SC trip!!

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

pronounced may-duh
    Head up Curtis creek to the parkway hang a left and climb the parkway then hang a left on heartbreak ridge trail. Curtis Creek is the the mega climb and is probably a good gut check for ORAMM. Heart break and a loop on Kitsuma should give you a feel for the technical portions.

I've never done this race and I'm no expert on that area of the forest but from the outside looking in those are the highlights. But it's longer and you will be very hot & tired for some of the most technical stuff.

You can probably bail or at least take a nap at any of the rest stops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Brownie,

There isn't much ridge riding or narrow off camber descending at Dupont that compares to HeartBreak and Kitsuma.

!
    I think the other big differences are the obtainable speeds are much higher on both trails and there's nothing at DuPont that compares to the high-speed choppiness/quick turning combos on Kitsuma.
    Most riders doing the course for their first time seem to find Kitsuma more challenging than Heartbreak, at least the one's I've talked to.
    YMMV.

banned

you can take a nap....

just don't plan on drinking any water.

Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Head up Curtis creek to the parkway hang a left and climb the parkway then hang a left on heartbreak ridge trail. Curtis Creek is the the mega climb and is probably a good gut check for ORAMM. Heart break and a loop on Kitsuma should give you a feel for the technical portions.

I've never done this race and I'm no expert on that area of the forest but from the outside looking in those are the highlights. But it's longer and you will be very hot & tired for some of the most technical stuff.

You can probably bail or at least take a nap at any of the rest stops.

consistent default champ
    River's Edge is really the only race officially left on my agenda for the year. A trip with some people that can warn me I am about to fall off a cliff would be great!
    I have rode at Pisgah and Bent Creek but only occasionally. It is harder to get a full day of biking in with a toddler but maybe some day she'll be out riding with me

Brownie,

Heartbreak is a 30 - 40 minute descent. Kitsuma isn't quite as long as that. Other than that all you have to do is climb a little bit.

Evil Lurks

tire recommendation

Can anyone make a tire recommendation for ORAMM? I'm currently running a jones xr 2.25 front and a jones xr 2.2 rear. Is that overkill given all the forest road climbing? It's my first time down there.

Thanks,

Dave T.

consistent default champ
    Brownie,

And I don't think I could easily do this race but thanks for your vote of confidence mater!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    "Can anyone make a tire recommendation for ORAMM?"

Run what you brought! ORAMM has grass, sand, pavement, roots, dirt, mud, and glass. (OK maybe not glass) No one tire will give you an advantage. Just ride your every day all around tire and roll it!

I'm not doing it this year, but it has nothing to do with the past years' issues. ORAMM is a quality event & I plan on doing Swank. However, it's all about Shenandoah 09 for me!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    is it too late to start training for ORAMM?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    You know. . . .nothing against you but. . .

It wasn't funny here. . .

and it wasn't funny over here . .

This one wasn't even a race nor was it funny . . .

AND MAN BY THIS TIME THIS [email protected] IS GETTING REAAALL OLD!!

AND THEN THERE WAS ONE OTHER TIME!!!

so my point is GET A NEW FRIGGIN JOKE!!

Now this post I just did, THAT IS FUNNY!

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    This depends on several factors... What kind of tires are you running? When was the last time you drank water? How quickly can you eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? How do you feel about taking a nap in the woods during the day under threat of a possible shaming?

pronounced may-duh

DANG he got me again. now how's it go? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yes, that is funny!!!

eschewing obfuscation
    Quote Originally Posted by Davetoo
    Can anyone make a tire recommendation for ORAMM? I'm currently running a jones xr 2.25 front and a jones xr 2.2 rear. Is that overkill given all the forest road climbing? It's my first time down there.

Thanks,

Dave T.
    Let's assume you're a strong, reasonably skilled rider and the course is dry (as it will likely be in late july)... I recommend fast rolling tires such as small block 8's; specialized fast traks; weirwolfs, etc. "run what you brung" is a good philosophy too, however, as tires are unlikely to make or break your ride. i would avoid anything too knobby or wide though, as they will make you sad on the countless miles of gravel you'll encounter on the route. nevertheless, sam koerber, carey lowery, et. al. will smoke us all regardless of what tires they run. hope that helps...
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

mtbr member
    I would like to try ORAMM one of these days, but I think I need another year of training and to lose about 20 more lbs. before I try to do 10K feet of climbing (or whatever it is) in the hottest part of the year. I will settle for coming in near last in the SWANK again this year for my annual body flogging.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    I would like to try ORAMM one of these days, but I think I need another year of training and to lose about 20 more lbs. before I try to do 10K feet of climbing (or whatever it is) in the hottest part of the year. I will settle for coming in near last in the SWANK again this year for my annual body flogging.
    You can do it. I did it on what I may recall was the 2nd year, and the course included climbing up the Old toll road, doing the gravel road near Black mtn campground in reverse and then heartbreak ridge and then it was all a blur, but I quit early before doing kitzuma the 2nd time from ridgecrest. I recall passing a semipro Zaxby racing rider crying on the side of the trail, but my point, my buddy from chapel hill who had never raced, EVER, finished in like 10 hours and stopped and had lunch and read a book or something, but anyways, he did it, I didn't. That's what this race is all about. You should try it next year. But it will probably be $150 by then.... Not only is it expensive now, but where's the Toll road climb! That year the winner finished in over 6 hours! now what is it, under 5?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    To the event promoters - don't feel bad about losing the water during an event, I have lost entire people while trying to run one of those things.

Its one of those thankless jobs that you only do once or twice before you say screw it.

2 years ago I paid $100 for the burn 24 hour and was promised an alien abduction. Still here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 44gnats
    Let's assume you're a strong, reasonably skilled rider and the course is dry (as it will likely be in late july)... I recommend fast rolling tires such as small block 8's; specialized fast traks; weirwolfs, etc. "run what you brung" is a good philosophy too, however, as tires are unlikely to make or break your ride. i would avoid anything too knobby or wide though, as they will make you sad on the countless miles of gravel you'll encounter on the route. nevertheless, sam koerber, carey lowery, et. al. will smoke us all regardless of what tires they run. hope that helps...
    44gnats, this is great information, thank you. I've been wondering this same thing. I DNF'd last year at my first attempt but have put triple the training time in on a road bike and some mountain bike too. I started running Kenda Small Block 8's in May and wow, what a difference! Here's to hoping I finish this year!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    This depends on several factors... What kind of tires are you running? When was the last time you drank water? How quickly can you eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? How do you feel about taking a nap in the woods during the day under threat of a possible shaming?
    I definitely took a nap last year,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmorecarp
    You can do it. I did it on what I may recall was the 2nd year, and the course included climbing up the Old toll road, doing the gravel road near Black mtn campground in reverse and then heartbreak ridge and then it was all a blur, but I quit early before doing kitzuma the 2nd time from ridgecrest. I recall passing a semipro Zaxby racing rider crying on the side of the trail, but my point, my buddy from chapel hill who had never raced, EVER, finished in like 10 hours and stopped and had lunch and read a book or something, but anyways, he did it, I didn't. That's what this race is all about. You should try it next year. But it will probably be $150 by then.... Not only is it expensive now, but where's the Toll road climb! That year the winner finished in over 6 hours! now what is it, under 5?

Toll Road crosses significant sections of private property. While those owners are OK with the occasional recreational user, I assume they are not OK with hundreds of recreational users in one day.

eschewing obfuscation
    Quote Originally Posted by frnchgrl26
    44gnats, this is great information, thank you. I've been wondering this same thing. I DNF'd last year at my first attempt but have put triple the training time in on a road bike and some mountain bike too. I started running Kenda Small Block 8's in May and wow, what a difference! Here's to hoping I finish this year!
    frnchgrl26 - glad to be of help! sounds like you've worked hard to prepare for this year's race; i am sure it will pay off! as for running small block 8's, i think you've made a fine choice. just be mindful of the few sections of sharp rocks on the heartbreak descent (and, to a lesser degree, the kitsuma climb) as small block 8's have somewhat thin sidewalls and are thus prone to tearing, in my experience, if pushed too hard on the rocks. be sure to bring an extra tube or two and a tire-patch kit. otherwise, you will be flying! btw, if you are indeed a 26 y/o french girl who races mountain bikes, i have some friends - who will be racing on sunday - who would love to meet you (i am engaged) ! either way, best of luck come 7/26!
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    sjanes can only race if his sponsors first authorize him to do so. Also, he must have his sponsors logos displayed prominently on all of his valuables in each feed zone with a boom box playing a tape loop touting the beneifts of each of his sponsors wares.

sjanes also must display all sponsor logos prominently on his pillow used for said trail side naps. sjanes' goattee must also be carved in the shadowy shape of his primary sponsors company logo and match that company's brand in color.

FYI...I'm not gonna be racing it so I'm plotting with several buddies to pull a kamakaze style descent from the parkway to Mill Creek. We'll be armed with maces, bludgeons and mallets. How else you gonna slow down Sam.....make him ride 24"s
    Last edited by bizutch; 07-20-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    I am not a "Role Model"

Official Cooler Inspector
    Apparently you forgot his Alien Encounter at an important race... Besides the obvious memory problem, he added rooms to the home place double-wide.

Believe!

Edit: Just noticed they are called "sponsors". Scary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 44gnats
    frnchgrl26 - glad to be of help! sounds like you've worked hard to prepare for this year's race; i am sure it will pay off! as for running small block 8's, i think you've made a fine choice. just be mindful of the few sections of sharp rocks on the heartbreak descent (and, to a lesser degree, the kitsuma climb) as small block 8's have somewhat thin sidewalls and are thus prone to tearing, in my experience, if pushed too hard on the rocks. be sure to bring an extra tube or two and a tire-patch kit. otherwise, you will be flying! btw, if you are indeed a 26 y/o french girl who races mountain bikes, i have some friends - who will be racing on sunday - who would love to meet you (i am engaged) ! either way, best of luck come 7/26!
    I donno... Not to make you paranoid Brigitte, but the only time I've run SB8s on Pisgah singletrack I tore a sidewall descending Black Mountain and had to walk out.
    If you do use em, be sure your tire pressure is just right and be really careful picking lines. I love that tire for a lot of races though and it would be great on the gravel sections.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyB
    I donno... Not to make you paranoid Brigitte, but the only time I've run SB8s on Pisgah singletrack I tore a sidewall descending Black Mountain and had to walk out. If you do use em, be sure your tire pressure is just right and be really careful picking lines. I love that tire for a lot of races though and it would be great on the gravel sections.
    Emily, thank you, and yikes that is something to think about! They are amazing for climbing the forest roads. My bike weighs a TON so they help me roll a lot better. They are tricky descending on singletrack, I will def be CAREFUL on the descents. May be I will try them out when we arrive on Friday.

mtbr member
    Emily, thank you, and yikes that is something to think about! They are amazing for climbing the forest roads. My bike weighs a TON so they help me roll a lot better. They are tricky descending on singletrack, I will def be CAREFUL on the descents. May be I will try them out when we arrive on Friday.
    I think the SB8's are a good choice too. Compared to a 'heavier-duty' tire, you'll be saving a lot of time on all the gravel road that you probably won't lose by slowing a little on the techy sections.

I found that the these tires didn't handle all that great on the loose stuff coming down from Star Gap though - that's probably where I'm the most concerned come Sunday...
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisco_28601
    I found that the these tires didn't handle all that great on the loose stuff coming down from Star Gap though - that's probably where I'm the most concerned come Sunday...
    I opted out of the race at RS 2 last year but do not remember what the descent down Star Gap was. I will def take it easy on the descents, I have already experienced what they cannot do on a Pinhoti trail in GA over the weekend. They roll so nicely up the forest road though w out tiring me out too much and I need that extra energy to make it to the end this year. Good luck to everyone!

mtbr member
    I opted out of the race at RS 2 last year but do not remember what the descent down Star Gap was. I will def take it easy on the descents, I have already experienced what they cannot do on a Pinhoti trail in GA over the weekend. They roll so nicely up the forest road though w out tiring me out too much and I need that extra energy to make it to the end this year. Good luck to everyone!
    RS 2 is after the section I was referring to, so you've probably been through. Not super familiar with the area, so I don't know what it will look like on race day, but best I can describe it from a couple of weeks ago is: overgrown double track with patches of sand, and loose gravel. You can easily get caught by surprise entering fast corners with limitted visibility...
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thank you, I do remember it now. I was overly-anxious last year and some parts are blurry. I know I need to be careful on Kitzma. Even w my older tires I was close to slipping off-camber so I will be watching out. Kind of thinking I will check out Kitrzuma on Friday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch
    sjanes can only race if his sponsors first authorize him to do so. Also, he must have his sponsors logos displayed prominently on all of his valuables in each feed zone with a boom box playing a tape loop touting the beneifts of each of his sponsors wares.

sjanes also must display all sponsor logos prominently on his pillow used for said trail side naps. sjanes' goattee must also be carved in the shadowy shape of his primary sponsors company logo and match that company's brand in color.

FYI...I'm not gonna be racing it so I'm plotting with several buddies to pull a kamakaze style descent from the parkway to Mill Creek. We'll be armed with maces, bludgeons and mallets. How else you gonna slow down Sam.....make him ride 24"s
    Bizutch, can I borrow your boom box again?

mtbr member
    Yeah! This is going to be sssoooooo mmuuuccccchhhh FUN... Looking forward to this weekend Ladies (and gentleman).

The longer the ride - the better the pain

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling_Chick
    Yeah! This is going to be sssoooooo mmuuuccccchhhh FUN... Looking forward to this weekend Ladies (and gentleman).
    Oh I'm just shooting my mouth off, I'm not racing ORAMM. I'm racing Wilderness 101 the weekend after, so this weekend I'm just gonna drink and heckle...

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Doesn't the gearing of the bike also factor in?
    i ride bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0