1 Day in Western NC, Where do I go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

1 Day in Western NC, Where do I go?

Loaded question I know.

If I have one day to hit some trails in WNC, what's your recommendation??

I'm looking for FUN flowy single track. I don't mind climbing but really just looking for those fast bermy trails with easy jump lines. A little gnar won't hurt my feelings though.

Beech, Pisgah, Dupont, Rocky Knob, Bailey's? I'll need trail names for Pisgah or Dupont please.

What is your favorite??

I'm an NC native but work out of the country. Only back for a few days in June. It' been years since my last trip WNC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Daron337 View Post
    Loaded question I know.

If I have one day to hit some trails in WNC, what's your recommendation??

I'm looking for FUN flowy single track. I don't mind climbing but really just looking for those fast bermy trails with easy jump lines. A little gnar won't hurt my feelings though.

Beech, Pisgah, Dupont, Rocky Knob, Bailey's? I'll need trail names for Pisgah or Dupont please.

What is your favorite??

I'm an NC native but work out of the country. Only back for a few days in June. It' been years since my last trip WNC.
    Everyones definition of flowy is different, but fast flowy berms abound at Kerr Scott in Wilkesboro (OVT and Warrior's Creek). Might not be enough miles for what you are thinking. No gnar, though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    daron- You can't go wrong with DuPont for what you're looking for. Just go to a shop when you get here and buy a map. The recommended routes on the map will get you exactly what you want.

Seriously- it's like you're describing DuPont.

Big Mac
    We don't really have that kind of stuff here. Beech or Baileys are probably your best bets.

mtbr member
    For 1 day only I'd have to second Dupont, try one of those 'Best of Dupont" routes.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yea one day flow and fun hit a dupont loop with air strip, jim branch, ridge line, cedar rock, big rock, and any additional you will have a blast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are interested in new style flow, the trails at Lake James State Park might meet your needs. Just check with the park's website to make sure the trails are open, they do close them for wetness. The system is a stacked loop system, very easy to navigate, and the trails are directional.
    Or, if you are going to be further west and interested in checking out the newest western N.C. trail system, check out Fire Mountain Trail System located in Cherokee, NC. This system is so new that the grand opening has not happened, but the trails are completed and are open to ride. There's only 10.5 miles of trail, but you can easily do more mileage without getting bored. It is a stacked system, with some long, but doable climbing needed in order to fully appreciate the system. The trails were built by Trail Dynamics.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    In WNC I've only done Pisgah and Dupont, but it's hard to imagine someone not having a great time at Dupont. Fun fast and flowy, try to include Ridgliine, Rocky Ridge, Mine Mountain starting from Fawn Lake, Turkey Knob (the single track part) and maybe Burnt Mountain going counterclockwise.

mtbr member
    Do you want to ride DH or trail? Bailey is closer to Asheville and super fun. You will get a lot of bang for your buck and time at Beech if you want DH. For trail-if you don't mind dealing with a crowd Dupont is fun. Warrior Creek or Lake James would be good choices if you want less traffic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Due to your including the the words flowy, berms, and jump lines. I would strongly recommend Bailey. You'll get more runs at beech but it is more DH style and you might not feel as comfortable there as you would at baileys, especially if you don't have a long travel/DH rig. Bailey also has more jumps. The flow trails at Baileys can easily be ridden on a hardtail if you wanted to.

mtbr member
    @matty22c-

Trails at Beech are no longer DH race tracks. Elevated Trail Designs completely changed all the trails and built two entirely new trail Most people were/are riding mid to long travel trail/Enduro bikes. The only true race track left is the ProGrt track. Bailey is quite a bit steeper than Beech. Both places are a blast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sugar_Brad, damn that is kind of depressing. Though they did need more beginner friendly trails out there for sure. Just kind of sad that the pro/am lines sound like they were dumbed down a bit? But I'm sure the rock, roots and holes will back be after the first (wet) race. Also not suggesting that the trail isn't still fun by any means (I haven't even been on it). I have ridden quite a few ETD trails and they know how to pack in the smiles, even on flat terrain.
    Sorry I wasn't suggesting that you need a DH bike for beech. I rode there on a 6x6 with stupid freeride geo for years. Just that you would be more comfortable at bailey than beech on a shorter travel rig. At least sticking to the flow trails. I agree Baileys is steeper, but the flow trails have a pretty smooth tread. Now with this new info, maybe beech is better for shorter travel.
    Still think bailey is better for jumps, but that is just based off old info and of the pics I've seen of the new beech. Still some good jumps there for sure and the little section at the bottom is fun. But nothing I'd really call at jump trail like bailey's and SS have.
    Although I haven't been to either place in like 2 years, so I'm on old info. Need to get back to both this season for sure. I've been following the changes at beech via social and it looks to be good.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say anything has been dumbed down, just aimed at a wider range of riders. The Pro track aka "Black Bear" is still a legit DH track. You should really think of it as a whole new park since the trails are so different.