$75 ticket given at Bent Creek- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    I like Squishy Bikes
    Reputation: Hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,094

    $75 ticket given at Bent Creek

    Apparently, the Forest Service (without Public Notice)
    started handing out $75 tickets to people riding Unmarked
    Non-Sanctioned Trails in Bent Creek Experimental Forest.
    The fine increases to $5,000 for the 2nd offense.

    The head of Forest Service Enforcement, Lee Boyd,
    was told to start issuing citations by
    the Project Leader for the Demonstration Forest,
    Dr David Loftis.

    How 'bout that?
    More Info to Come.
    Keep it on the marked Mtb trails

    Hollis (I stayed on legal trails all day...really )
    Last edited by Hollis; 04-07-2004 at 10:10 PM.
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

  2. #2
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,612

    Well.......!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis
    Apparently, the Forest Service (without Public Notice)
    started handing out $75 tickets to people riding Unmarked
    Non-Sanctioned Trails in Bent Creek Experimental Forest.
    The fine increases to $5,000 for the 2nd offense.

    The head of Forest Service Enforcement, Lee Boyd,
    was told to start issuing citations by
    the Project Leader for the Demonstration Forest,
    Dr David Loftis.

    How 'bout that?
    More Info to Come.
    Keep it on the marked Mtb trails

    Hollis (I stayed on legal trails all day...really )
    Does the forest service need to give public notice to ticket people for breaking the rules? I think keeping it on the sanctioned trails is the obvious choice. Bent creek has been overused and abused for years. It seems to me that Bent creek has been on the brink of extinction(sorta) for a while, but some people continue to form new trails and others continue to ride them. I've even seem some really shitty attempts at making stunts on open trails, a ladder bridge to be exact. Really, really, poorly made. I ripped it down. it came apart easily. There are spur trails everywhere. it's ridiculous, really. the forest service should issue tickets to those who contribute to the demise of Bent Creek. though $5,000 seems a bit steep.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Geez. Do you know which trails are involved? I'm not interested in riding those hacker-trails people have cut off of Boyd Branch, but I'm pretty sure I'm on trails sometimes that are unmarked. In particular, I don't think the poison ivy trail above Ingles Field is marked.

    When I saw your post, I thought it was going to be butt-related. The only ticket I've known anyone to get was for changing his clothes next to his car at the exact moment a ranger drove through the lot.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Geez. Do you know which trails are involved? I'm not interested in riding those hacker-trails people have cut off of Boyd Branch, but I'm pretty sure I'm on trails sometimes that are unmarked. In particular, I don't think the poison ivy trail above Ingles Field is marked.

    When I saw your post, I thought it was going to be butt-related. The only ticket I've known anyone to get was for changing his clothes next to his car at the exact moment a ranger drove through the lot.
    The "poison ivy" trail is the continuation of North Boundary trail and is totally legal. The "Heinous" connectors dropping off are not technically legal. Bent Creek is an incredibly used area, and there are a LOT of unmarked trails on the upper side. According to what I heard, the ticket was issued as somebody exitted the trail paralleling North Boundary at the intersection of North Boundary and Ledford Branch. That's also where Corvair/Two Dogs comes out, another heavily used "non-system" trail. So, be careful out there kids, and remember, they also have the right to take your bike- I know people who know people who've had that happen when poaching Parkway trails(a REALLY bad idea). Peace.

  5. #5
    I like Squishy Bikes
    Reputation: Hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,094

    communication

    Well, there are lots of issues when it comes to Bent Creek,
    thats why I started this post.
    I'm not a hard line activist or instigator or anything...I'm here to ride
    (hopefully the rides wont cost much ),
    I thought this would be a great place to start a discussion
    & to let visitors & locals get an idea of whats going on.

    What we have here...
    is a failure to communicate.

    Forest Service said one thing...
    They're doing another.

    Yes, the guy was near the bottom of N. Boundary and took "the Chute" to the right.
    Its a washed out gully that leads to a gravel road...is this 30 yards
    of "social" trail ruining a Vital Forest Experiment? No.
    Was the enforcement ranger just passing thru and noticed blatent trail abuse
    or was it more like...hey, this is an easy plalce to nail a few bikers?
    What was the Intent? Protecting a sensitive plot or just writing tickets to meet a quota?
    I've seen horseback riders use this same "trail".
    Will horse people be fined in a similar & equal manner?

    *Using my best Rodney Dangerfield voice*
    Just because its the Law...dont make it right.
    No Respect for us bikers

    I ride Bent Creek hours at a time & for the most part, I never use "Social" trails,
    but even I get backwards or off trail...
    mostly due to being navigationally challenged
    Its nice to know that my next directional boo boo could cost $75

    What about the "Seasonal Trails" on the other side of the Lake?
    Last time I noticed, those trails were marked "No bikes May-Oct".
    At a meeting with the BRBC last year,
    the Forest Service said those trials are now open to bikes year round.
    Will I get a ticket back there? Sign says no bikes.
    Who knows?

    Finally, what about the home owners who have trail access right behind their houses?
    "One Dog Trail" is just a few feet away...its not an Official Trail.
    Will I be ticketed for riding out of my backyard?

    Whats the weather like at Tsali?
    Last edited by Hollis; 04-08-2004 at 10:13 AM.
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

  6. #6
    Official Cooler Inspector
    Reputation: M-U-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,652

    Biker Beware

    Here's an artical from the local fish wrapper:

    http://cgi.citizen-times.com/cgi-bin/story/news/53056

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: litespeedchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Seems clear (to me anyway) that some Forest Service people are PO'ed that mountain bikers interfered with their plans for f-ing up the trails in Bent Creek. Quid Pro Quo.

    It's stupid to say anything unmarked is illegal. Bent Creek is FULL of trail intersections that are unmarked but part of legal trails.

    ARRGGHH!

  8. #8
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,612

    That washed out gully.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis
    Well, there are lots of issues when it comes to Bent Creek,
    thats why I started this post.
    I'm not a hard line activist or instigator or anything...I'm here to ride
    (hopefully the rides wont cost much ),
    I thought this would be a great place to start a discussion
    & to let visitors & locals get an idea of whats going on.

    What we have here...
    is a failure to communicate.

    Forest Service said one thing...
    They're doing another.

    Yes, the guy was near the bottom of N. Boundary and took "the Chute" to the right.
    Its a washed out gully that leads to a gravel road...is this 30 yards
    of "social" trail ruining a Vital Forest Experiment? No.
    Was the enforcement ranger just passing thru and noticed blatent trail abuse
    or was it more like...hey, this is an easy plalce to nail a few bikers?
    What was the Intent? Protecting a sensitive plot or just writing tickets to meet a quota?
    I've seen horseback riders use this same "trail".
    Will horse people be fined in a similar & equal manner?

    *Using my best Rodney Dangerfield voice*
    Just because its the Law...dont make it right.
    No Respect for us bikers

    I ride Bent Creek hours at a time & for the most part, I never use "Social" trails,
    but even I get backwards or off trail...
    mostly due to being navigationally challenged
    Its nice to know that my next directional boo boo could cost $75

    What about the "Seasonal Trails" on the other side of the Lake?
    Last time I noticed, those trails were marked "No bikes May-Oct".
    At a meeting with the BRBC last year,
    the Forest Service said those trials are now open to bikes year round.
    Will I get a ticket back there? Sign says no bikes.
    Who knows?

    Finally, what about the home owners who have trail access right behind their houses?
    "One Dog Trail" is just a few feet away...its not an Official Trail.
    Will I be ticketed for riding out of my backyard?

    Whats the weather like at Tsali?
    .....is a washed out gully because mountain bikers, and perhaps some equestrians made it that way! i would assume that the intent was to ticket people for blatant abuse! this is a national forest people!! not an abandoned lot in town! that illegal "chute" may be part of a vital forest experiment or it may not, what difference would it make? it's still illegal. I'am not certain, but i don't think forest service rangers have a quota concerning tickets to mountain bikers. and i feel certain that horse people would be treated the same way. although bent creek sees a fair amount of horse use, it sees a lot more bikes. the reason bent creek has so many "social" trails, as they've been called, is because trail users, primarily bikers, have made them. it should stop. the general rule of thumb has always been that if it ain't signed, it ain't open. of course there are times when this will not work. hunters blow the **** out of signs, they fall down, etc... if you are really that confused about bent creek, buy a map. it's really not that complicated. i'am curious abouth the failure to communicate. what exactly did the forest service say they were gonna do? and what if every person who owned property that bordered public lands, built their very own private access? and maybe those that didn't own adjoining property could just create their access at a convienient spot of their choosing. I think the weather at tsali is groomed. later

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dscarbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    467
    see, it's the same thing with the parkway.. I have yet to see any markings that the trails are off limits to bikes, or hikers only, at least in my neighborhood. I guess anyone that is not in the know and just tries the trails out for a ride is at risk... I am hopeful that the forrest service will allow some of the current trails to be grandfathered in along with the "sanctioned" trails. There are a few that are really great that don't seem to pose any harm.. On the other hand, there are some that are really toasted............

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    106

    More night rides I guess.

    I really hope something can be worked out between bikers and FS. But I get the feeling that the FS has already made up it's mind. I guess more night rides are in the future along with a good escape plan. I will not stop riding the trails that have been ridden for at least 12 years or so(without any additional damage) just because they don't have a little brown trail marker.
    Troll

Similar Threads

  1. Service Tip for all Cane Creek rear shock owners
    By TeamTwentyFour in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 01:23 PM
  2. Laurel Creek to Pilot Rock
    By mountaingoatepics in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 06:40 AM
  3. 3/19 Bent Creek
    By carter1 in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 10:26 AM
  4. buffalo creek questions
    By billybobzia in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 01:42 PM
  5. Recommeded routes from Hardtimes to Fish Hatchery
    By cmweldon in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 08:59 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.