Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Widest tire on Torrent ht?

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  S​​usspect 
#1 ·
What's the widest tire that you have experience using on the Torrent hard tail?

#5 ·
I purchased my 2018 Torrent 1 in early September. Before I did so, I asked my local shop as well as Norco via email if there were any changes for 2019 and both said no. I just looked at the Norco site and it looks the same except the brake levers are listed as the "T" instead of the "TL" model.

#7 ·
I like it for what it is, a simple bike capable enough for any of the trails that I (can) ride. Descending on smooth trails is super fun. The drawback is that it weighs in just over 30 lbs. I don't notice it too much since I'm not a fast climber anyway.

#8 ·
m2_boy described the bike well. I really like this bike for sloppy rainy days (I live on Vancouver Island). I've enjoyed it on all of the trails I'd ride on my full suspension bike, just a little slower. The DVO fork has been outstanding, the rest of the parts trouble free, even if it is a little portly!

#9 ·
Regarding your experience on the sloppy rainy days, are you using the Minions that came on the bike? If so, how do they ride in the wet stuff? When I purchased my bike I swapped out the Minions with Rekon+'s before my first ride but with rain starting here in northern CA I'm wondering if I should consider putting the Minions back on for better traction.

#10 ·
To the OP's question... I haven't gone wider, but I have gone taller. Here's a photo of a 29 x 2.6 XR2 with gobs of clearance in the rear. Just by eyeballing it I'd say you could run a 29 x 2.8 on it.

Not sure what that says if anything about width, but I thought I'd read in some review somewhere that these frames can take a 27.5 x 3.0.

Attachments

#13 ·
The main thing I noticed after putting the 29 x 2.6 on was how high the bottom bracket was. 13.5", if I remember right. I didn't think I'd like it, but on the trail I soon forgot about it and just rode merrily along. The top tube is low enough that I wasn't risking my gonads or anything.

It was fast.

I did not change anything about the fork travel. Of course, I was just doing this for a few rides, and wasn't taking it too seriously. I may go back to it for some XC races next year. Maybe with some skinnier 29 tires though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.