Widest tire on Torrent ht?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Widest tire on Torrent ht?

What's the widest tire that you have experience using on the Torrent hard tail?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    They come with 2.8's so that's my only experience so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That's my experience as well...just wanting to see if other owners have gone wider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    No stock on torrents in Canada. No 2019 available. Redesign coming? Anyone know whats up?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I purchased my 2018 Torrent 1 in early September. Before I did so, I asked my local shop as well as Norco via email if there were any changes for 2019 and both said no. I just looked at the Norco site and it looks the same except the brake levers are listed as the "T" instead of the "TL" model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You liking the torrents? What you expected? Have an old krampus and looking for a shoulder season/mud/chariot hauler to replace it. Want something more current/fun than the old school (bike packing) ish build currently

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I like it for what it is, a simple bike capable enough for any of the trails that I (can) ride. Descending on smooth trails is super fun. The drawback is that it weighs in just over 30 lbs. I don't notice it too much since I'm not a fast climber anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    m2_boy described the bike well. I really like this bike for sloppy rainy days (I live on Vancouver Island). I've enjoyed it on all of the trails I'd ride on my full suspension bike, just a little slower. The DVO fork has been outstanding, the rest of the parts trouble free, even if it is a little portly!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tyberius_77 View Post
    m2_boy described the bike well. I really like this bike for sloppy rainy days (I live on Vancouver Island). I've enjoyed it on all of the trails I'd ride on my full suspension bike, just a little slower. The DVO fork has been outstanding, the rest of the parts trouble free, even if it is a little portly!
    Regarding your experience on the sloppy rainy days, are you using the Minions that came on the bike? If so, how do they ride in the wet stuff? When I purchased my bike I swapped out the Minions with Rekon+'s before my first ride but with rain starting here in northern CA I'm wondering if I should consider putting the Minions back on for better traction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyberius_77 View Post
    What's the widest tire that you have experience using on the Torrent hard tail?
    To the OP's question... I haven't gone wider, but I have gone taller. Here's a photo of a 29 x 2.6 XR2 with gobs of clearance in the rear. Just by eyeballing it I'd say you could run a 29 x 2.8 on it.

Not sure what that says if anything about width, but I thought I'd read in some review somewhere that these frames can take a 27.5 x 3.0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Widest tire on Torrent ht?-img_20181027_191733.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have the 2016 7.1, it came with Nobby Nic 3.0's. looks like you could go larger than that based on the frame clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by JScoot View Post
    To the OP's question... I haven't gone wider, but I have gone taller. Here's a photo of a 29 x 2.6 XR2 with gobs of clearance in the rear. Just by eyeballing it I'd say you could run a 29 x 2.8 on it.

Not sure what that says if anything about width, but I thought I'd read in some review somewhere that these frames can take a 27.5 x 3.0.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I was going to ask if the Torrent could accommodate a 29er wheel.

How does it affect the handling and geometry? Did you need to reduce the fork travel by 10mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    I was going to ask if the Torrent could accommodate a 29er wheel.

How does it affect the handling and geometry? Did you need to reduce the fork travel by 10mm?
    The main thing I noticed after putting the 29 x 2.6 on was how high the bottom bracket was. 13.5", if I remember right. I didn't think I'd like it, but on the trail I soon forgot about it and just rode merrily along. The top tube is low enough that I wasn't risking my gonads or anything.

It was fast.

I did not change anything about the fork travel. Of course, I was just doing this for a few rides, and wasn't taking it too seriously. I may go back to it for some XC races next year. Maybe with some skinnier 29 tires though...