What Rear Shock for Norco Sight C1 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What Rear Shock for Norco Sight C1 29er?

What are people running for a rear shock on their 2017+ Norco Sight 29er? The stock shock on mine - Fox DPX2 Performance (NOT Performance Elite or Factory) - is okay but can't seem to find the appropriate pressure. If I run it with 20% sag, it's too firm on the little stuff but pedals well. If I run it with 30% sag, it wallows too much while climbing/pedaling and feels alot muschier while pedaling but is much better at sucking up the little stuff. And there's really not enough fidelity in the shock, in my opinion, to run it at 25% sag. I'm thinking that part of the issue is that the shock is not that great at greater pressures (200psi +).

When I demoed the bike, it was running a Rockshox Deluxe (RCT3) I think, and that shock seemed to pedal better and still suck up the small stuff without wallowing too much on the climbs.

Anyway... thoughts would be appreciated.

Me: 5'11" 220lbs geared up. Ride aggressively but only hit small drops (less than 2ft) and jumps.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    My demo bike was a 2018 29er C3. It had a DVO fork and a lowly Fox shock of some kind. That bike was like nothing I have ever ridden in my life. It was soooooo lively. I spent more time in the air on it, and I am a "planted" kind of rider. It was probably the most fun I have had on a bike in 25 years.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to recreate that level of poppiness with the Factory 36 and Performance Elite DPX2 on the C1 I bought.

The other thing is this...

I found that it is a very NARROW sweet spot on the DPX2 for pressure. 5-10 PSI seems to make a world of difference. When it is dialed, it is incredible at soaking shit up at speed. When it is not dialed, it is much more retina detaching when mobbing through shit. But getting it dialed has been tough for me. My body weight can fluctuate 5-10 pounds in a week. Sometimes I wear a pack, sometimes I don't. The reality is that I don't think I will ever be able to have this dialed all the time. Or even some of it.

Climbing, it is always good. My ride profile is usually up, up, up, then down, down. down. So I usually flip the shock switch into he middle position while on sustained climbs. But flipped or not, I have ZERO issues climbing on that bike.

I need to spend some more time fiddling with the set up this year. I got my bike in mid-July last summer and while I rode lots, I didn't fiddle with it that much. I have access to 2 ShockWizes that I may try.

PS - 185 lbs out of the shower. 5'11', and lanky as hell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, i've heard the same "narrow band" thing about the DPX2. I think that issue is accentuated at higher pressures necessitated by my riding weight.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    Yeah, i've heard the same "narrow band" thing about the DPX2...
    You have? That's interesting. Comforting to know at least that I am not imagining it.

I should say that the ride quality is still top drawer on it. I would say an 8.5 out of 10, even when it is not dialed. When it is dialed, its a 10. I say that coming from a dozen or so very nice bikes in the past.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Love the bike. It absolutely kills downhills. But it doesn't climb the same way that the demo did. I'm trying to find that setup again and the only difference was that that bike had a different rear shock.

mtbr member
    Mine came with the Deluxe, love it. It rides a lot like how you describe the demo bike, and is perfectly content at 30% sag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yup, mine has the Deluxe and loves 30%, but is pretty forgiving psi wise.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sounds like I need to get the Super Deluxe! Thanks all!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Sounds like I need to get the Super Deluxe! Thanks all!
    You may wish to research that first. Don't get rid of your DPX2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Unfortunately, that's the problem. I've done the research and not one article or blog or comment or post that I've read definitively says Super Deluxe better than Fox DPX2 or vice versa. Based on articles alone, I should love the DPX2 but the reality is that it's not working for me and my riding style preference and weight. I've played around with the DPX2 setup quite a bit - adding tokens, removing tokens, adjust sag, etc etc. Nothing has made it ride the same way the demo bike rode, which is the whole reason i bought the bike in the first place.

So... given that I already have a DPX2 and assuming that the DPX2 factory has the same compression and rebound circuits and that I don't currently like the way the DPX2 rides for me and my preferences, I think a logical step is to try the Super Deluxe.... So maybe I just answered my own question. Was just hoping to get some anecdotes about who was riding what.

mtbr member
    The stock RockShox Deluxe Tune is listed here:

https://www.norco.com/cmsb/uploads/b...-parts_003.pdf

Might be helpful.

Or if you don't want to dig, I'll put it right here:

RockShox Deluxe
    M|L|F|280|3T

mtbr member
    For me, the DPX2 Factory did everything better than the super deluxe that came on my Sight C9.1. It was more supple off the top giving better comfort and traction, it had more mid stroke support which helped it pedal better in the open position, and it resisted bottoming better. And it really performed better taking hits at speed. It was a night and day difference in a bike park for sure. All that said though, the super deluxe was fine, and it did not ride poorly at all. Everyone has different preferences, but I loved the DPX2 on that frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SEI Racing

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Unfortunately, that's the problem. I've done the research and not one article or blog or comment or post that I've read definitively says Super Deluxe better than Fox DPX2 or vice versa. Based on articles alone, I should love the DPX2 but the reality is that it's not working for me and my riding style preference and weight. I've played around with the DPX2 setup quite a bit - adding tokens, removing tokens, adjust sag, etc etc. Nothing has made it ride the same way the demo bike rode, which is the whole reason i bought the bike in the first place.

So... given that I already have a DPX2 and assuming that the DPX2 factory has the same compression and rebound circuits and that I don't currently like the way the DPX2 rides for me and my preferences, I think a logical step is to try the Super Deluxe.... So maybe I just answered my own question. Was just hoping to get some anecdotes about who was riding what.
    I found numerous anecdotal accounts of people switching from RS to Fox and having a much easier time holding a line through the gnar at speed. Now...I do not recall seeing anything about climbing. Only gnar at speed.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    The stock RockShox Deluxe Tune is listed here:

https://www.norco.com/cmsb/uploads/b...-parts_003.pdf

Might be helpful.

Or if you don't want to dig, I'll put it right here:

RockShox Deluxe
    M|L|F|280|3T
    I thought you were one of the many proponents I ran across of the DPX2 over the RS offerings. Am I dreaming?

Also, that chart is very interesting. My Fox fork and shock came stock on my 2018 Sight. Nothing listed for Fox. Hmmm...

On that note, I should also mention something else. I called the local Norco guys (Live to Play) when I was doing the online bike builder thing and asked about the RS vs Fox issue. They were HEAVY proponents of RS, but not because it was better, but because they believed after-purchase service to be easier and more accessible than Fox. Norco is dialled into SRAM. They are big promoters of RS but when you talk to them about it, it has nothing to do with performance. It has more to do with servicing the components without having to go back to the manufacturer. The guy I spoke with told me it was a headache dealing with Fox.

So...why did I go with Fox? Because the RS fork and shock on my 2015 Range was probably the worst suspension I have had in my life. That Pike was HORRIBLE. And not a single person I spoke to at my LBS (which is a Norco dealer) recommended RS over Fox. Plus, the online research I did.

All that said, the guys at Bible of Bikes LOVED the RS suspension on the 2018 Sight. Skip to 2:40...

Tough call. But please report back with your findings. I would love to hear them. Hell, maybe it will convince me to try RS again on my Sight. Actually, no. I will never return to RS again in this lifetime. Or the next.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 1 Week Ago at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Weird... maybe weight is an issue? As I've said, I'm 220/230 riding weight and I have not yet found the sweet spot with the DPX2. However, as I've noted, I rode the Sight demo with an RS Super Deluxe and have now ridden a Range 29er with a Super Deluxe and it's felt much better than my Sight with a DPX2. Additionally, the bike shop that I demoed from and bought the bike from have been echo-ing my same findings, which is that the Norco Sight and Range are riding better with RS than the DPX2.

For those of you who are riding the DPX2, what year and what model? I'm on 2018 DPX2 Performance, which does not have the LSC adjustment the Performance Elite and Factory shocks do. Does this mean it's effectively a different shock?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Weird... maybe weight is an issue? As I've said, I'm 220/230 riding weight and I have not yet found the sweet spot with the DPX2. However, as I've noted, I rode the Sight demo with an RS Super Deluxe and have now ridden a Range 29er with a Super Deluxe and it's felt much better than my Sight with a DPX2. Additionally, the bike shop that I demoed from and bought the bike from have been echo-ing my same findings, which is that the Norco Sight and Range are riding better with RS than the DPX2.

For those of you who are riding the DPX2, what year and what model? I'm on 2018 DPX2 Performance, which does not have the LSC adjustment the Performance Elite and Factory shocks do. Does this mean it's effectively a different shock?
    I just checked. I am the same as you:

2018 Fox Float 36 Factory 140mm
    2018 Fox Performance FLOAT DPX2 130mm

One final comment from me (sorry for the multiple posts). I generally do not like my shock at 30% sag, regardless of brand. I have typically run my shocks (on all bikes) at the high end of 25% (i.e.; as much pressure as possible without going too much less than 25%). Anything softer (i.e.; 30%) tends to get very hung up in the high speed square edged hits for me. Like I said though, I have not spent nearly enough time messing around with my suspension. I need to do that. Possibly equipped with a pair of ShokWizes.

To each their own though. And I suspect a lot of it has to do with local terrain and riding style/preference.

And it is very possible that I don't have a clue what I am talking about. So please bear that in mind as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I thought you were one of the many proponents I ran across of the DPX2 over the RS offerings. Am I dreaming?

Also, that chart is very interesting. My Fox fork and shock came stock on my 2018 Sight. Nothing listed for Fox. Hmmm...
    Not me, I've never ridden the RS bike to compare, just tracked down the tune info for the OP. I have the DPX2 and am fairly pleased with it, although it could stand to be more sensitive at low speed, I wouldn't go out of my way to change it. I actually like it that way.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    Not me, I've never ridden the RS bike to compare, just tracked down the tune info for the OP. I have the DPX2 and am fairly pleased with it, although it could stand to be more sensitive at low speed, I wouldn't go out of my way to change it. I actually like it that way.
    Aaahhh ok. Thx.

Iím in the same boat.

Anyone with the Fox suspension interested in posting body weight and settings? Could be helpful.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I just found out today that an 11-6 will be available very soon for the Sight. It's an incredibly expensive venture but whatever. I may throw down on one, and spring for the ACS3 coil kit for my 36 while I'm at it.

That said, I need to give this careful thought. That bike is tight. I don't want to end up messing with things for the worse, for a metric shit tonne of cash.

Decisions, decisions...