Thoughts on 2016 Range A7.1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Thoughts on 2016 Range A7.1

Anyone seen these yet ? I have a 2015 Range A 7.1 that rides great but looking at changing to the 2016. Looking for feedback on the 170 fork and the fox setup.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Good job!

I think that depends on what you are after... is there a shortcoming or something you wish to change? Ae you looking for a better descender? Climber? Both? Is your 2015 currently stock build?

You could likely find a great deal on that fork over the winter if you want a 170. Not sure if it will be a big difference tho - but I can't say for sure - but you are gaining approx .5% slacker head angle w that 10mm extra cush.

I'd spend that money on better wheels and a CC Inline or Double Barrel w Climb switch. 160 Pike is a great fork. Now - if you are looking for better fork performance period - thats a different discussion

You can do a 1x with the stock build pretty cheap - or heck - there are awesome deals on xt 1x all over - for under $200 you can get a new rr der, shifter and cassette... plus get an ovalized n/w front ring .

Just some spitballing as food for thought. Help us out a bit and let us know what you are after. FWIW that 2016 7.2a build is a ridiculous amount of bike capability for the money... and I'd personally get that and add what I want to it - MRP Stage front Fork, DB w Climb switch or Inline, better wheels. The rest is very serviceable and will work well... than replace as bits start to wear out or you break something

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I use that bike mostly riding at a ski resort bike park although I rode it all over in Moab this fall and it climbs great. I have a carbon sight for a trail too. I had the 2014 range and really liked that bike too but the 2015 improved on it. Looking for insight on what folks think about the 15 to 16 changes and how it will affect the bikes handling. I would probably leave it stock. Thanks for the ideas. Any thoughts on the Yari fork ? that comes on the 7.2

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I believe it's part of a lower cost line of Forks that use the motion control vs charger dampers and hence a lower cost alternative vs say the Pike or Lyrik. Should be a real good fork tho and the Yari is a 35mm chassis designed for long travel application. IMO - i don't know that moving to the 2016 gets you much more than a different build kit, and the geo (i.e. head angle) is a result of the fork length not the actual head angle of the bike - frame is unchanged as I understand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Maybe try and find one to rent once your local dealer has them in stock to see if its worth shelling out the cash for a whole new bike. Or wait till the end of this next year to get one, that's what I did and got a great deal on a closeout carbon Range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    the 2016 should be out soon. Thanks for the good ideas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Loving my 2016 c.2 with the Lyric
    The A.1 as you know has a fox. Not ridden it so I cannot comment on th feel of the fox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looks like a great ride. Have fun with it. How are you liking the Lyric, is it pike like with more travel ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got my 2016 coming this week. Should be fun !!