Sight - comparo to Evils and Stumpy 6 fatty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Sight - comparo to Evils and Stumpy 6 fatty

Was in Sedona this past weekend. Rented these 3 bikes. Unfortunately no Norco dealers so couldn't try on same trials but here's my quick assessment.

All 3 are really good bikes.

Insurgent is a ridiculous DH capable bike that also has some pop in the suspension to be really fun. Can plow or dance.

Following. Extremely balanced and capable. I see why it's been named trail bike/bike of year by many pub's. Felt most comparable to my sight frankly and by that I mean balanced. Does everything well and can handle way more than some might think just looking at travel numbers.

6Fattie - the surprise of the bunch. Really fun, very capable and no real downside i could find w 3inch tires... likely didn't get tire pressures figure out but i had no bad experience on this one.

Summary
    Im a guy with new bike-itis every couple years, yet rolling into season 3 on my sight. Its been everywhere, and handled everything w aplomb!!!!
    My demo rides left me convinced I will be more than happy this season on my Sight and will not be drinking the Evil cool-aid. Again - great bikes, but nothing I experienced gave me that 'game changer" or holy crap moment. I will state tho - a Sight configuration w 2.75 (2.8) could really nail a sweet spot - especially as more tires are forthcoming and the tech will likely be very well sorted by next season... Norco Sight = GREAT Bike!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Have you considered 27.5+ Norco Torrent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    sure have... my shop has sold a bunch and riders seem to love em...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    6Fattie - the surprise of the bunch. Really fun, very capable and no real downside i could find w 3inch tires... likely didn't get tire pressures figure out but i had no bad experience on this one.
    It's so interesting to hear someone else saying exactly the same thing about 6Fattie. My BF and I also went to Sedona earlier this year, rented 6Fatties (probably from the same shop ) and said exactly the same thing - surprisingly fun, balanced and couldn't really find anything to fault in the way it rode.

Now that I'm thinking about buying a new AM bike with modern geos, 6Fattie/Stumpy is high on my list, but after looking at a bunch of options and demoing some of them (Mojo3, SC Tallboy3 27.5+) and coming off not all impressed, Sight's geometry caught my attention because it seems to be the closest to Stumpy's.

With that said, I'm curious if you are able to articulate a little more about what made you say that Sight with Plus option would hit the sweet spot for you. Were you able to isolate the benefit of Plus tire on 6Fattie as compared to your regular tire Sight? Have you ridden regular Stumpy for straight up comparison?

Trying to decide whether or not to sit tight one more year for a fuller Plus line ups by different brands. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The quick/gut response to your question goes something like this.

The SIght is an unbelievably good trail/AM bike that pedals very well, doesn't hang on technical features and can punch so far above its weight class on chunky downhill.

Its kind of the bike that really has no shortcomings unless you are a pure XC racer or Enduro/DH oriented rider/racer.

I determined into season 2 how much more I valued "grip" (and durability) from my tires over XC like weight and rolling resistance. I'm not racing anyone by my buddies who are of similar capability nor am I racing period - so why not simply have the grip to climb up and over anything, go fast into corners, and brake a little later as necessary. Fun factor = good tires! (and lack of flatting). So the idea of a SIght with a little extra grip and no real downside? Oh yea - that's the ticket.

FWIW - I had the bike shop try to squeeze 2.8 wtb on last summer before the B+ trend got hot - fit in the pike but not the rear. I currently run a Magic Mary up front and DHR2 in the rear. Its a great combo - but I see the merit to going even a bit bigger at this point.

I will be demoing some B+ in coming weeks and throw some "comparos" back in here. I have the go ahead for a 2nd bike w wifey - and its WILL be a b+/29 low, slack hardtail. Will wait to see how the full sussers start to emerge at 2017 models are released as I suspect/expect that next year may be the year I change my Sight. I was really hoping the new Optic would be B+ compatible - I thnk having a bike that can rock 2 wheel sizes adds to the versatility and ability to pick the tool for given day