Sight Carbon - Ardents gotta go- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Sight Carbon - Ardents gotta go

4 Days of riding on the Sight and the Ardents have to go. I'm faster both up and down than I was on my WFO and traction on the Ardents are the crux. Any real speed and lean and the wash out super quick.

Not looking for mud or wet root type of traction. I ride in Colorado.

Read through the 650b tire thread in the other forum and loads of directions going up but I feel I have more particular issues. Anybody else found the Ardent to be lacking?

Looking at the Hans Dampf or Neo-Moto.
    Would prefer a tubless ready tire as I'd like to ditch tubes when I swap to wider rims later.

mtbr member
    Im in the same boat...

I think I'm gonna keep the Ardents for the rear tire and switch to something wider up front, probably a continental trail king 2.4. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to some wider, tubeless readt rims. But for now I want to run these sun ringles into the ground before I go spend anymore money.

I chatted with a guy on the mountain this last weekend for a while about hans dampfs and he said that they're great if you dont mind spending the extra dough on a tire in addition to changing them out every 3 months... Apparently durability is an issue. Trail Kings are definitley a lot heavier and more burly but they've also gotten a lot of high praise.

I'm not a weight weenie, I just want some more confidence cornering at higher speeds on the downhill. I just hope it doesn't make it too sluggish for the climbs. Probably will pick up a trail king this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As I was still trying to figure out what I would do a buddy suggested playing with my tire pressures. Bike came in setup at 28psi. I dropped the front to 22 and the rear to 24 and it seemed to help markedly on yesterdays ride.

I'm 205lbs so I feel this is probably as low as I should go on the tubed setup.
    I didn't hold anything back on the downhill and managed not to get a flat so here's hoping that solved the issue.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I'm not sure if this is your problem but yes Ardents have no transition knobs, they need to be leaned aaaaaallllll the way over before the knobs are engaged. They honestly taught me to ride better because of this - lean the biker, not the rider, inner elbow straight, outer elbow up, hips outside the turn and rotated towards the apex. When you do that you're on rails, but I agree they can be sketchy and there's no room for error, and I've also had my share of washouts on them which is a confidence killer.

Sight Carbon - Ardents gotta go-jerome-clementz-nsmb-2663.jpg

mtbr member
    Maybe I'll try playing with the tire pressure and leaning the bike more, too. Still think I might get a wider tire up front but its worth a try first.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Yeah I hear you, I've always run Ardent 2.4, I've never run the 2.2s so your problem might be specific to those less aggressive sizes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I run the Ardents at 22psi front and 24psi rear tubeless. I honestly don't have an issue with them. Our trail are predominantly hard pack and rock

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I believe 29er.com or one of the other 29er specific websites (guitar Ted is one of the contributors) mentions the 2.4 being meatier tread than the skinnier version, not sure. I've had good luck with the 2.4 as others have mentioned. I'm running the new ardent race as a rear when I have my bike set up for more aggressive riding though I'm an XC guy so no shuttle or crazy type stuff. They remind me a little bit of the WTB weirwolfs that like to be banked hard into corners. I think they're good dry day tires, they pack up quick in wet clay, but so does about everything else that's not a dedicated mud tire.

I'm 220 and I run about your pressures, though I don't know the trails you ride. I get a little skiddish coming into square edged rocky sections wondering if I'm to get through but I haven't flatted. The 2.4's I'm running in the low 20's and they still feel hard, think I was at 20 for the front. I run tubes unless it's for XC racing, I'm just lazy when it comes to setting up tubeless and I switch tires out often since I use my bike for trail and XC racing. Finally have a dedicated hardtail for racing on order. I use a 2013 norco revolver, the full-suspension revolver as opposed to the new revolver HT (what I have on order actually).

For more knobby I always get directed to minions or high roller tires. Just other options to consider. I don't suspect they'll roll that fast though. I'm one to try my best to ride my bike to the trail an the ardent 2.4's push it for being tolerable, it's like I'm riding a vibrator.

mtbr member
    The Ardent 2.4 is a completely different tire. It's a dual compound as opposed to the single compound 2.25. It's a huge bag, plump bastard, and it hooks up. Nobbys are double the size of the 2.25's. Weight is the same as my Hans Dampf 2.35 trail star and I prefer the 2.4 Ardent over the HD.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just changed out my 2.25 Ardonts to HD up front and NN rear we have lots of loose over hard where I ride and the Ardonts slid around like crazy.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Sight Carbon - Ardents gotta go

There's your problem, those Ardonts are a cheap knockoff. It's like those Rolox watches you pick up on NY street corners. :-D :-D :-D

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well played sir. Well played

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    for a little bit more weight - you could roll w a HR2 on the front? I too have a Carbon Sight here in CO and swapped the ardents out at buy time for HR2 in 2.4 on frt and DHR2 in 2.3 on rear. I loved my 29 2.4 ardents, hated the 2.25. I believe the 2.4 frt and rr would be a decent combo - but I also wanted premium grip both frt and rr hence and sacrifice some weight and roll resistance. Couldnt be happier w my current combo.