Sight Carbon 12 mm Rear Axle Removal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Sight Carbon 12 mm Rear Axle Removal

On my Sight Carbon 7.1, the derailleur hanger attached with a bolt through the frame which looks like a pinch bolt around the 12 mm axle.

So far when I've been removing the rear axle and wheel, I've been loosening the derailleur hanger pinch bolt beforehand, then tightening it back up when I reinstall the rear axle.

Having thought about, I'm not convinced whether I need to loosen the derailleur hanger pinch bolt all the time....

What is everyone else doing?

Unpredictable
    I do not know the Sight, but no, the d hanger is an independent device to the axle. The more you loosen and tighten it, the more likely you will damage the bolt or fatigue the thread, plus get grit in there.

Apologies if the following Pinkbike quote fails to add the pinch bolt is not just a safety valve, but also has to be removed before the axle, but normally the axle should just unscrew, slide out and do the same in reverse when you put your wheel back on.

A tapered head tube, ISCG tabs, and a BB92 press fit bottom bracket ensure that the Sight's frame design fits right in with the current crop of all-mountain and trail machines. Norco uses Syntace's X-12 thru axle to secure the rear wheel, a system that uses an aluminum pinch bolt to hold on the derailleur hanger. This aluminum bolt is designed to break before the derailleur hanger does in the event of a hard enough impact, hopefully saving the derailleur and the hanger from costly damage. Thoughtfully, a spare bolt is threaded into the downtube of the Sight's frame should it ever be needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You should be able to just unscrew the axle. No need to loosen the hanger bolt.