Sight 7.1 with DB Inline shock- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24

    Sight 7.1 with DB Inline shock

    Hi guys

    Just ordered a DB inline shock for my 2014 Sight 7.1. After reading the initial reviews of the shock I couldn't resist!

    My question to you is if I need to buy new bushings to fit the new shock, or if I can just swap it directly out with my old Fox Float.

    Using the Cane Creek fit finder I found some numbers regarding the bushing sizes but that didn't really help me out...

    Shred on!

  2. #2
    I wonder why?
    Reputation: i1dry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    552
    Yes, you will require new bushings for the DBInline.

    I ordered a DBInline for my 7.2 from Cane Creek in late June. They indicated that they would send me the custom tuned version (for the Sight Carbon's) with the required bushings (free of charge). From my last contact with them near the end of July, they indicated that they would be shipping mid August.

    If you ordered from Cane Creek, call them and ask about the bushings.

    Good luck.

    I1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24
    I bought my DBInline from CRC.. Is there a "custom tune", or is this just the recommended base tunes which I can find at the Cane Creek site?

    Guess I'll send a mail to Cane Creek and ask about the bushings..

    Edit: Found some DBAir bushings om r2bike:
    CANE CREEK Rear Shock Bushing Set 10 mm for Double Barrel, 15,50 &eur

    I guess these will fit?
    Last edited by hanger; 08-12-2014 at 04:20 AM.

  4. #4
    I wonder why?
    Reputation: i1dry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    552
    The 2015 Sight Carbon's will come with DBInlines, that Cane Creek is tuning specifically for the bikes. I'm sure that if you phoned them they would provide their tuning info.

    As for the bushings, I'd call Cane Creek to make sure you get the right ones.
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    164
    I just switched out the Fox shock on my Sight Carbon 7.1 to the DB Inline. I bought the Cane Creek mounting hardware too.

    Took it for its first ride with the DB Inline today - it is like night and day in terms of improvement. With the Fox shock I would always bottom out the the shock with a "clunk" on decent sized drops. But with the high speed compression adjustability of the DB Inline, this issue has disappeared.

    I used the recommended tune provided by CC for the Sight 7.1, but added a half turn more of high speed compression.

  6. #6
    mjw
    mjw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    938
    I am waiting on mine, for my Range Killer B.

    I spend some time debating between the DB Air and Inline. I live in Newfoundland and we don't have sustained downhill runs, so the guys at cane Creek said the Inline will work very well.

    I've been riding CCDB's since the start, on my first gen Nomad, Rune, Blindside and Flatline, and I can't wait to try this new air shock!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    45
    Just fitted an Inline to my 2013 Sight Killer B . Used the old Fox hardware by trimming the white internal white plastic eyelet inserts off with a Stanley knife to keep the spacing right.I'm not much of a suspension fiddler so i used the stock Norco Base Tune off the site and set the sag up at roughly 17mm as suggested. Four small volume spacers were recommended so i i just popped in the large spacer provided which looks like it is the equivalent of 5 small spacers. To get the sag right , my Rock Shox gauge measured 165 psi (my weight is 178 pounds minus gear) .

    First ride out and i was very impressed , the CTD never felt anywhere near this good at any time. The suspension is Super Plush and i'm using most of my travel with no harsh bottom out . The climb switch works beautifully , i used it on all climbs and like others have set the traction is definitely much better than it used to be using the CTD climb settings.

    Only downside i can see is the extra weight , about 100g heavier i think but it's a small price to pay for the performance improvement.

    On the front i am using Pike 130mm - 160mm DP forks ( originally bought for a Stanton Switchblade hard tail) but owing to my 150mm Pikes needing repair and service i thought i'd give them a try . They work great with the Sight and will be staying on the bike . The extra 10mm gives that little bit slacker head angle and on climbs the 130mm position makes a big difference ; as the Sight has 140mm travel , the minus 10mm travel on the front from standard spec doesn't make enough of a difference to the BB to get too many annoying rock strikes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,088
    I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my inline... seeing the posts from those of you who've been early adopters is very encouraging

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    196
    I have a 14 Sight 7.2 C with the Monarch RT. I have several rides on the Inline now and it is superb for this bike. I know why they are speccing it on the 15s. It has totally calmed down the rear end. You can run it hard through rocks and roots and it never get overwhelmed. The climb switch also makes a nice difference when climbing remaining higher in its travel. This shock will be on all my future bikes. J

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36
    Finally had a chance to ride my 7.1 with the DB Inline. Set it to the base tune and it was perfect. Might play around with it a little to see if I can get it to feel even better!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,088
    curious - are you running the recommended settings or did you change them at all?

    inline is mounted - waiting for weather to ride today/tomorrow

  12. #12
    I wonder why?
    Reputation: i1dry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    552
    I've had about a dozen rides on my 7.2 with DB Inline and I'm still trying to dial it in to my liking. The Base tune was good, but I found things a bit harsh on successive high speed hits (over rooty terrain) to the point where it felt like the shock was packing up and/or the rear end would buck a bit.

    I increased the HSC and HSR a bit during the last ride, but do to the wet conditions I wasn't able to hammer over the rooty areas.

    Have any of you guys found the shock noisy during low speed compression cycles? Mine makes audible squishing sounds that are far louder than I have heard from any other shock. I spoke with Cane Creek and they said it was most likely the oil cycling through the shock and that the noise was normal.

    I increased the LSC a bit and it appears to be a bit quieter overall, but still hear some squishing on deeper compressions. I think I still need a few more rides to optimize the tuning.

    Any input would be welcome.

    Thanks.

    i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,088
    first ride in the books - and its what everyone here has stated. I set sag for my riding weight and never touched it - factory tune was near perfect for me and trail - and frankly as good as the bike has ever felt - with seemingly no compromises in one perspective of the ride (slow technical climbing) vs the other (high speed, chunky descending).

    will ride a very different trail today with more rocky, successive big hits etc..., techy tight climbs, so have a better overall gauge of it after

    for what its worth - i had upgrade the stock RT to the Debonair - and the Debonair is no slouch for a more set/forget type of shock and adjustments. The CC DB Inline just takes it the last mile.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    first ride in the books - and its what everyone here has stated. I set sag for my riding weight and never touched it - factory tune was near perfect for me and trail - and frankly as good as the bike has ever felt - with seemingly no compromises in one perspective of the ride (slow technical climbing) vs the other (high speed, chunky descending).

    will ride a very different trail today with more rocky, successive big hits etc..., techy tight climbs, so have a better overall gauge of it after

    for what its worth - i had upgrade the stock RT to the Debonair - and the Debonair is no slouch for a more set/forget type of shock and adjustments. The CC DB Inline just takes it the last mile.
    Do you think the inline is worth the extra cost over the debonair? I'm on a sight as well.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry View Post
    I've had about a dozen rides on my 7.2 with DB Inline and I'm still trying to dial it in to my liking. The Base tune was good, but I found things a bit harsh on successive high speed hits (over rooty terrain) to the point where it felt like the shock was packing up and/or the rear end would buck a bit.

    I increased the HSC and HSR a bit during the last ride, but do to the wet conditions I wasn't able to hammer over the rooty areas.

    Have any of you guys found the shock noisy during low speed compression cycles? Mine makes audible squishing sounds that are far louder than I have heard from any other shock. I spoke with Cane Creek and they said it was most likely the oil cycling through the shock and that the noise was normal.

    I increased the LSC a bit and it appears to be a bit quieter overall, but still hear some squishing on deeper compressions. I think I still need a few more rides to optimize the tuning.

    Any input would be welcome.

    Thanks.

    i1dry?
    My Inline makes the same squishy sound on LSC. I think it's pretty normal as I've heard it with other shocks before.

    Regarding the feel like it is packing up over high speed hits, I kind of felt the same way. Considering adding a small volume spacer and increasing HSC/HSR.

    Have you tested any more?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,088
    I guess it's about $100 in difference... and for me - its $100 well spent. the Inline really works - and works so good - and the bike rides noticeably better with it

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    272
    Looks like another good option is coming for the sight. Xfusion stage rlx. It's an inline shock based off their vector shock which is supposed to be damn good. Hmmm

  18. #18
    I wonder why?
    Reputation: i1dry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by hanger View Post
    My Inline makes the same squishy sound on LSC. I think it's pretty normal as I've heard it with other shocks before.

    Regarding the feel like it is packing up over high speed hits, I kind of felt the same way. Considering adding a small volume spacer and increasing HSC/HSR.

    Have you tested any more?
    I increased the HSC and Rebound a bit which has helped with the packing up over high speed hits.

    I also decreased the LSC a bit which has helped quiet the shock down without adverse effects. I'm still getting full travel when required.

    I haven't had a chance to really play around with the shock as most of my rides have been with others. This Saturday it looks like I'll be riding solo so I will try tweaking things further and playing with the extreme settings.

    i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24
    Are you running any spacers?

  20. #20
    I wonder why?
    Reputation: i1dry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by hanger View Post
    Are you running any spacers?
    No.

    i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    196
    My inline is dead quiet. Maybe give Cana Creek a call. J

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry View Post
    No.

    i1dry?
    Allright. Just noticed that the Cane Creek tune for Sight Killer B says 4 small volume spacers, otherwise same as Sight Carbon.. I thought the suspension kinematics were the same on those two?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    334
    Installed DB Inline on my Sight Carbon 7.2 today.

    By the way, no special hardware is needed. You can reuse the existing shock bushings just fine, they will fit perfectly.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,088
    Good on ya - and any ride reports/feeback?

  25. #25
    JNG
    JNG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by field_c View Post
    I just switched out the Fox shock on my Sight Carbon 7.1 to the DB Inline. I bought the Cane Creek mounting hardware too.

    I used the recommended tune provided by CC for the Sight 7.1, but added a half turn more of high speed compression.
    I've had 2 test rides with the DBInline on my Carbon Sight LE.

    The first was 24kms on pretty technical single track - base tune was perfect.

    The second was a day at Blue Mountain riding downhill. With the base tune I was gobbling up all of the travel on the beginner and intermediate runs. Before trying the Black Diamond and Double Black Diamond trails I added a half turn of HSC and I found perfection!

Similar Threads

  1. New CCDB CS Inline... our next shock?
    By Civilense in forum Turner
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 12-14-2014, 02:23 AM
  2. shock and fork pressure on sight 27.5 ?
    By mxzx121 in forum Norco
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2014, 07:05 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 08:56 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 05:10 PM
  5. Sight/Sight KillerB BB height
    By skidad in forum Norco
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.