Sight 27.5 vs 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Sight 27.5 vs 29

I'm seriously thinking about either a Sight 29 or 27.5 for the coming season, probably something at a C2 build level.

Aside from the obvious wheel size difference, are they pretty similar in ride character, or are they very different animals?

Thanks. I've had both wheel sizes, and there are general traits I like about each, but wondering whether this particular bike behaves much differently in each configuration?

high pivot witchcraft
    I bought a 29er after demoing one. In hindsight, I wish I would have also demo’ed a 27.5. I bet a 27.5 is sooooooo effortless to manual and pop off natural kickers on the trail. I am very happy with my 29er but the 27.5 would have been awesome too I bet.

I suspect the answer to your question is the usual answer that applies to the 27.5 vs 29er decision - grounded/planted, stable and speed vs poppy, playful and agile.

https://youtu.be/89cCAOA98Tw

https://youtu.be/XxLA-DOnnsM

Sight 27.5 vs 29-ce2b70f1-94fc-479d-8cca-27bca8712225.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I suspect the answer to your question is the usual answer that applies to the 27.5 vs 29er decision - grounded/planted, stable and speed vs poppy, playful and agile.
    Thanks, you're likely right. I'm definitely leaning toward the 27.5.

Nice looking bike you've got!

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolky View Post
    Thanks, you're likely right. I'm definitely leaning toward the 27.5.

Nice looking bike you've got!
    Apologies. Looks like the links I posted did not work as intended. I will edit them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Apologies. Looks like the links I posted did not work as intended. I will edit them.
    The YouTube review links worked for me.

mtbr member
    I have the 29er, and that review is pretty accurate. It is highly capable downhill and willing to tackle any bonus lines. I took mine to Whistler and Bellingham last year and it felt absolutely at home. Fast, stable, and easy to whip around corners and trees. Large rock rolls were handled with confidence. I do notice that it has a slight preference to straight line tech sections vs weaving through them though, but it does it so well I don't mind.

The one line in that review that's most spot on is that it feels like you've owned it for years. I had to relearn some of my riding skills after riding hardtails for years, but the bike does disappear under you. Very neutral and confidence inspiring.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've ridden both version of the Sight, they're more alike than different but I still have a strong preference for the 27.5 version. I'll be upfront and say that I've yet to ride a 29er that I like from any company, there's a few 29ers that I can live with if I had to and that's as far as it gets. I can tolerate them but I don't like them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone know if the frame has changed at all from 2018 -19? I'm looking at a cracking deal on last year's model but can't see anything detailing possible frame change. (Ignore spec changes cos I can see those).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    No change to the frame. Norco just specced the Sight with a 150mm fork for 2019, which is how I have always ran mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    No change to the frame. Norco just specced the Sight with a 150mm fork for 2019, which is how I have always ran mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool. That's what I suspected, just needed confirmation.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by clintj View Post
    I have the 29er, and that review is pretty accurate. It is highly capable downhill and willing to tackle any bonus lines. I took mine to Whistler and Bellingham last year and it felt absolutely at home. Fast, stable, and easy to whip around corners and trees. Large rock rolls were handled with confidence. I do notice that it has a slight preference to straight line tech sections vs weaving through them though, but it does it so well I don't mind.

The one line in that review that's most spot on is that it feels like you've owned it for years. I had to relearn some of my riding skills after riding hardtails for years, but the bike does disappear under you. Very neutral and confidence inspiring.

How do you find the travel? On paper to me it seems that 130mm isn't all that much

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asunder View Post
    How do you find the travel? On paper to me it seems that 130mm isn't all that much

It feels well supported and makes very good use of that travel. Mine normally will use about 75 to 80% of travel in general riding, while keeping that last 20% in reserve for the big hits. There's also enough anti squat that climbing isn't a chore. I've ridden trails like Porcupine Rim in Moab and Zen and Gooseberry Mesa in St George and it's been very competent on those.

There's one local trail it hasn't been quite up to, but after talking to some other local riders it turns out most of them ride long travel (170mm+) enduro bikes or DH bikes down it. This trail runs down a steep boulder garden and is literally a washed out creek bed that someone cut a path to.