Revolver FS Ride review.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Revolver FS Ride review.....

So looking to replace my Tallboy v1 as an endurance race bike and can get a Revolver at good price. Haven't seen many real world reviews. Wondering how the Horst link does on climbs? I think I could save at least 3/4 pound off Tallboy. Would buy just frame as have a fairly new XXI 1-11

mtbr member
    I was in the same situation - no real world reviews so I just went and bought the frame anyway. And, wow, I am so glad I did. This bike is just incredible.

I never could find a 29er that felt right. I'm 5'9" and bought a Large, which might seem a size too big, but I have mine set up with a 120mm SID and it brought the frame in a bit for me. This bike just takes everything I can throw at it.

Do it. You won't have any regrets.

Its amazingly fast
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone know if the XS Revolver FS can fit a small water bottle in the triangle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is a pretty glowing review of the Revolver here:
    Norco Revolver 9.2 FS - Mountain Biking Australia magazine - bike reviews, tips, news, training

A few things of note are his experiment with 120mm on it and the caution that you need to ride this like you stole it, otherwise it can feel harsh. I have read other user experiences where they felt the rear end was harsh, which contrasts with the low anti squat this bike was designed with.

This review explains a little of why people might feel that way.

The description of this being a great technical climber got me really interested in it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I purchased a Revolver 9.1 FS in September and love it. Set a bunch of PR's both up and downhill without feeling like I was really pushing it. I will say that my carbon hardtail feels faster, predictably, on smooth climbs. But, the revolver really shines and out-climbs my hardtail on technical, rooty, or loose climbs.

And the fun factor is way up there, point this thing downhill and it doesn't feel like an XC bike.

This bike is phenomenal IMO.

mtbr member
    Couldn't agree more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luchi87 View Post
    I purchased a Revolver 9.1 FS in September and love it. Set a bunch of PR's both up and downhill without feeling like I was really pushing it. I will say that my carbon hardtail feels faster, predictably, on smooth climbs. But, the revolver really shines and out-climbs my hardtail on technical, rooty, or loose climbs.

And the fun factor is way up there, point this thing downhill and it doesn't feel like an XC bike.

This bike is phenomenal IMO.
    I am considering the Revolver 27.5 and I found this review https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...g-term-review/ that is very positive. But I am still a bit concerned about the Horst Link. My last Horst was a Turner 5-spot (15 years ago) that was a dog uphill and I am a bit worried about efficiency. The review at some point mentions great uphill performance only to reveal that the shock was not in an open position (unclear where it was: trail setting? close?)... Does the FS climbs? or is one forced to put the shock in trail/close position to go uphill?

I am on a Mojo HD3 that is an excellent climber, the Revolver will be my second bike for easier trails and uphill work (as well as serving as twice/year bike for my wife).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    I am considering the Revolver 27.5 and I found this review https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...g-term-review/ that is very positive. But I am still a bit concerned about the Horst Link. My last Horst was a Turner 5-spot (15 years ago) that was a dog uphill and I am a bit worried about efficiency. The review at some point mentions great uphill performance only to reveal that the shock was not in an open position (unclear where it was: trail setting? close?)... Does the FS climbs? or is one forced to put the shock in trail/close position to go uphill?
    I've ridden the 9.2 and 7.2 FS, both of them climb really well. I ran the shock wide open on both and never bothered with the other settings other than doing the parking lot test to see if they worked.

The longer version is the 4-bar Horst Link is a very versatile design that can be tweaked to perform almost any way you want it. 15 years ago the emphasis was on keeping the suspension as supple & active as possible at the expense of efficiency, it was plush but bobbed all over the place. These days we have a much better understanding of suspension kinematics and how they interact with shocks & everything else, we can build Horst Link designs that are active, comfortable, and efficient. Does it feel like a DW or VPP? No, they all do things a bit differently, and in many cases there's more differences within the design families than there is between them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I've ridden the 9.2 and 7.2 FS, both of them climb really well. I ran the shock wide open on both and never bothered with the other settings other than doing the parking lot test to see if they worked.

The longer version is the 4-bar Horst Link is a very versatile design that can be tweaked to perform almost any way you want it. 15 years ago the emphasis was on keeping the suspension as supple & active as possible at the expense of efficiency, it was plush but bobbed all over the place. These days we have a much better understanding of suspension kinematics and how they interact with shocks & everything else, we can build Horst Link designs that are active, comfortable, and efficient. Does it feel like a DW or VPP? No, they all do things a bit differently, and in many cases there's more differences within the design families than there is between them.
    Thanks for the reply. My current bike is a Mojo HD3 that works exceptionally well both uphill and downhill. Only reason to get the Norco is to have a somewhat lighter bike (the HD3 is 24 pounds and change, the Revolver should hit 22) to use on easier trails and double as occasional bike for my wife. But that would be a moot enterprise if the bike turns out to be less efficient than the HD3 despite having 50mm less travel ... glad to hear that it climbs well, I guess it will be interesting comparing the two bikes. If I build the Revolver (that will be promptly re-named Norco Olve) it will be with a Fox 34/120 or 110.

Horsts: I used the original AMP that was a noodle but quite efficient (well ... the shock was rather non existent ... felt like a hard tail often), a GT STS that literally killed you on the uphills, and the 5-spot, that was much better but still very weak the second the trail went up. The DW was an absolute revelation when I got my Mojo C, and the HD3 works even better. It might be time to see if a 100 mm Horst can work well uphill: new shocks, different leverage curve, short travel, should indeed make a difference.
    Last edited by Davide; 01-04-2017 at 01:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    hello, my ride review, first race on Norco Revolver 9.2 FS
    ??????? ????? ??? ?2 29 FS some foto, but text on russian
    sorry for my english

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any issues with the HA? Its steep by todays trends. My cannondale was 71.5 and it was very twitchy. my current hardtail is 70 and I did notice a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Any issues with the HA? Its steep by todays trends. My cannondale was 71.5 and it was very twitchy. my current hardtail is 70 and I did notice a difference.
    The steep HA helps with climbing. If anything, for XC racing, you'll want something steeper rather than slacker.

If you are bombing down mountains the Revolver is probably not the bike for you.

If you want to slacken it out half a degree or so to match your current hardtail, run a 120mm travel fork.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Most XC bikes are 69* these days. The XC courses are getting more technical. I dont live near mountains but riding fast downhill is always nicer when its not a twitchy bike. But I have yet to see anyone really complain about the revolver so that a good sign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Most XC bikes are 69* these days. The XC courses are getting more technical. I dont live near mountains but riding fast downhill is always nicer when its not a twitchy bike. But I have yet to see anyone really complain about the revolver so that a good sign.
    You could always go with the Optic. That would get you the same exact head angle as the Scott Spark RC at 68.5.

My Optic only weighs in 2 lbs more than my Revolver, but I'm sure I could get it lighter if I wanted.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had my specs wrong. I thought the large was 71.5 but its listed as 70.75. So not as bad as I thought. as the bike sit in pictures it really looks slacker then that. Im excited to try one out this year